“A dream come true and I want to go back soon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Oreanda

Oreanda
Chicago
“A dream come true and I want to go back soon!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2011

Mary and Kirk showed us the best time ever. They were so generous and considerate and even lent us some of their personal items. The area is perfectly manicured. It was a once in a lifetime experience.

Thank you!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2011

I did not actually stay at the Oreanda, but I wanted to write a review about how helpful the hostess/owner Mary Capra was in planning my May 2011 trip to Vieques. I had so many questions when beginning to plan our Puerto Rico trip, and Mary was so helpful and quick to offer candid advice in a very timely manner. I can only imagine how well they treat their actual guests.
We ended up staying at another property with air conditioning, since we are traveling in the beginning of summer, but hope to revisit Vieques and stay at the Oreanda on a later trip. And it was a very tough choice to make. My wife and I wanted to stay at the Oreanda based solely on Mary's kindness. In the end, we chose a rental with A/C since we are used to cold and foggy San Francisco temperatures.
I hope to meet Mary and Kirk in Esperanza to buy them a drink during our upcoming Vieques trip.
Mary - thanks again for your time and assistance. You went above and beyond - and I wasn't even a guest!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cstarknole
Camara12, Owner at Oreanda, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Thanks very much, Chris, for your kind words. I try to give visitors to Vieques & Puerto Rico all the information they need to insure they have reasonable expectations and an extraordinary trip. Please feel free to stop by Oreanda anytime. - Mary
bristol, vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

As the owner of a bed & breakfast myself, I have pretty high standards when it comes to staying at other lodging establishments and the Capras have met them all. They managed to strike the right balance between seeing to our every need and leaving us alone. Vieques is an island with few conveniences but Mary and Kirk made up for that by providing us with car service when we needed it, expert advice on what to do and what not to do, and where to eat. It helps that they know absolutely everybody on the island! And their place is absolutely beautiful...island chic, at its finest.

We are in the hospitality business because we like to meet people from all over the world and make new friends. I think Mary and Kirk share that philosophy. We went away from Oreanda hoping we will see them again someday so we can continue our friendship.

I agree with the previous reviewer about bringing earplugs. The treefrogs like to make a joyful noise unto the Lord, but they like to do it when you're trying to sleep!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2011

Mary & Kirk Capra are the consummate hosts - friendly, welcoming, unobtrusive. Their place is spectacular, they've thought of *everything*, and anything they haven't thought of, they'll pretty much take care of.

We stayed on their property for a week and loved every second of it.

There are two casitas on the property, plus their home. We stayed in "Verde" the other is "Azul." The differences are: Azul is bigger, has more space inside and out, but the shower is outside - which I think is cool, but you might not love. Verde is the perfect size for two and looks out over the pool and onward to the ocean. We loved Verde and would choose it again.

Each casita has a kitchenette with a sink, fridge (stocked with a few little treats and breakfast for your first morning), and a propane stove; a cooler to take to the beach (that they'll put ice in for you, if you need it); a TV with a movie collection (we didn't find that necessary); and a little lending library. There's also a big grill down by the pool, if you want to get your MEAT on. Under the grill is a stockpile of sunscreen and bugspray in case you need either. I think we went through about a bottle of the former, but needed none of the latter.

It was great to get up and eat breakfast on the porch or by the pool, eventually head out to do a little exploring, have lunch at a local spot, beach it until dinner time and then come home and cook dinner. We also took a late night dip in the pool, swimming under the stars!

Mary took care of so much for us - she got us a shuttle from the airport to the ferry. She helped us find a rental car and got us picked up at the ferry. She also took care of everything for my birthday planning - dinner reservations, a bio bay tour, and she sang to me as soon as she saw me and brought me chocolates. It was sweet. :) When I was an idiot and left my debit card in a restaurant in Isabel, she happened to know the owner and got it back to me even though the restaurant was closed.

Kirk, on the other hand, made sure our cooler always had ice; helped us with the grill; shared so much of his knowledge about local plants and the history of both their property and of the island; and invited us to join him on a morning hike to the black sand beach - which was a totally spectacular.

The other part of the hosting team - their dogs Bella, Tiger, and Harry made sure we were entertained and gave us that little extra bit of homey companionship. Bella joined me for breakfast most mornings, and made me miss my pup a little less.

My one tiny little warning is that if you are a light sleeper, you might want to bring ear-plugs - there are roosters, lizards, dogs, other rustling animals, and the occasional wild horse. This is no fault of theirs - it's just a function of being out of the main part of town. If you're in town, you have a lot worse to contend with as almost all of the construction is concrete and throws sound like you wouldn't believe. Basically, if you're a light sleeper and staying on Vieques (and not staying at the W...which, don't, guh), probably bring earplugs. I only had a problem one night...and it was nothing that a nap on the beach wouldn't cure.

Also, be aware that the calendar on their home-away site isn't really indicative of the availability. It's best just to email and ask.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Northern Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2011

We stayed at Orenada near Esperanza, and in our opinion, we couldn't have picked a more beautiful, relaxing or perfect place! Owners Mary & Kirk were perfect hosts, We can't even begin to tell you all the little (unexpected,and very meaningful to us) things they did to make you feel at home. As hosts, they are non-obtrusive, yet are there for you, to help you with reservations, directions, answer any questions and keeping your cooler full of ice! Their 3 dogs are all they said they were, Tiger, Bella and Harry, so nice to have around, we had our favorite each, but then again, that was the dog's choice. The pool and grounds are immaculate!

We stayed in the Azul casita, and arrived at dark, so the next morning when we awoke, it simply took our breath away! The grounds were immaculate and the views of the pool, ocean and hills were like a postcard photo, however, photographs of this (Garden of Eden) doesn't do justice to actually being there and experiencing it all.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2011

I just recently came back from my second trip to Vieques in less than a year and there was no question as to where we would stay. Mary and Kirk are some of the nicest, most hospitable people you will ever run across. They make you feel so comfortable with their lovely casitas that they have equipped with all the amenities of home. You have a choice of two casitas on the property and both are cute as buttons. They are also wonderful when it comes to giving dining and activity suggestions with the best places to go and the places to stay away from. There are no other places on Vieques that I would rather stay! Can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2011

My wife and I have traveled extensively over the years and rarely have we found lodging so comfortable, hosts so accommodating and a setting so lovely. Day one we were met at the ferry, driven to our casita, welcomed there with complementary drinks and snacks, driven to and picked up from dinner in Esperanza, and provided with all the information we could possibly want. Day two began with a breakfast treat of scones...you get the idea—all at no
extra charge and all offered in a kind and friendly way. To find such service in a location of stunning views and gorgeous, nearly-private beaches was a stroke of luck we'll not soon forget.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple