“The best meal we had on the island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Conuco

Conuco
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Seafood, Puerto Rican
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Puerto Rican Cuisine - Lunch: Tuesday to Friday 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Tuesday to Saturday 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Arkansas
“The best meal we had on the island!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2014 via mobile

Too bad we waited until our last night on the island to try Conuco, it was delicious! We had the skirt steak and the the Mahi Mahi special. We loved it and wish we had chosen it sooner.

Columbus, Ohio
“Large portions… too bad you don’t want to eat them”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2014

Tripadvisor peeps, you let me down! We left the restaurant with more than half our meals were still on our plates and we both felt sick. I started with the octopus salad which was chopped octopus marinated in an oily brine with finely diced peppers, onions and carrot. It was served in a bowl filled with the brine (it looked like soup) so that you had to scoop into the brine to find the octopus salad - like fishing in a bowl of salad dressing. Needless to say, the oily arepa that accompanied the dish was unnecessary. It would have been good if the octopus had been drained from the marinade and served over fresh salad greens as the name “octopus salad” suggests. My husband ordered a basic green salad that was wilted and well past freshness. If we hadn’t already ordered our main dishes already we would have left the restaurant then. My conch mofongo was inedible – the only discernable flavor was the overwhelming garlic from the sauce and the mashed yucca was a solid massand unpalatable. My husband had the fried snapper served with fried plantains that oozed oil – evidence that the cooking oil was not hot enough and therefore absorbed by the food. Our total tab was $100 ($30 entrees, $10 appies) with only one glass of wine, but we were happy to pay it, and get out!

3 Thank GlobalQuest
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Local PR food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2014

Wonderful eats, I enjoyed a whole snapper - delicious. Great atmosphere, beautiful restaurant, nice wine list and cokctails

Visited July 2014
Isla de Vieques, Puerto Rico
“A Gourmet Variety of Traditional Puerto Rican Foods”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

I have passed this restaurant many times, but had yet to eat there until last night. The place is small and cute, it has nice, simple decoration, and features a refreshing cross-section of Puerto Rican foods/ingredients. This place seems ideal for a romantic dinner for two or an anniversary, but has longer tables as well, so it's able to accommodate special occasions of all kinds. It isn't the largest place, though, so if they take reservations, I would suggest to make one if you are planning to go on a busy night. Price ranges from extremely affordable for the quality of dishes (a few dishes in the mid teens, $14-$18) to fairly expensive (with several meals in the $20's and some specials as high as $40).

The service was very good and bilingual (no worries: they speak English as well as Spanish), the waitress was helpful and very nice. Appetizers are very affordable and phenomenal (I tried the arepas with octopus salad and the conch turnover which, that night, was substituted for a lobster turnover, both were amazing!), drinks can be somewhat expensive but very good (I had the blue lemonade, which was delicious), and the main courses seem like you can't possibly go wrong.

For those interested: I had the pionono, a kind of pastry cup made of mashed sweet plantains then filled with picadillo (ground meat, recaíto [minced veggies], and tomatoes all sautéed together) and cheese, served upside down topped with crispy fried cassava/yuca slivers and surrounded by a garlic sauce. Absolutely mind-blowing! It was a mix of flavors that I had never experienced.

Definitely worth it!

2 Thank Dane N
Atlanta, Georgia
“Gourmet dining on Vieques”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

Great restaurant. The appetizers here are to die for. My favorite was the arepas con pulpo (octopus). Wow! The skirt steak is nothing like I ver had before. It was so tender and the marinate they used was very tasty. The sangria is very good as well, not sure but I think they must put a little brandy in it to give it an extra kick.

Service was excellent and the atmosphere was great.

• Visited June 2014