“So glad we went”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Conuco

Conuco
Cuisines: Caribbean, Latin, Seafood, Puerto Rican
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Puerto Rican Cuisine - Lunch: Tuesday to Friday 11:00am - 2:00pm Dinner: Tuesday to Saturday 5:30 pm - 9:30 pm
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“So glad we went”
Reviewed December 20, 2013

Although I have been to Vieques before this was our first trip to Conuco and I was very pleased overall. The dishes here are are thoughtfully prepared and comforting without being overly heavy. In our party of 6, each person enjoyed their meal and everyone commented that while they liked all the dishes, everyone favored their own--a unique experience to have at a restaurant where one dish isn't clearly the best, and I would bet the entire menu is very strong as we sampled 1/2 of it. I will say that I would recommend getting a beer or glass of wine here instead of a mixed drink. They hyped their drinks but what we had was quite frankly, terrible. The mojito was not muddled at all, just a sugary mix poured into a glass. The other mixed drink was also extremely sweet and tasted like a pre-made mix as well. That said, just don't order them, the food is totally worth going to and there are other bars around town you can walk to and get a mixed drink instead. The ambiance is very nice--it actually rained hard while we were there and the sound on the roof was amazing. Service was good. I look forward to going back next time I'm on the island!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great restaurant”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Went there as a party of 4. Service was great -- very attentive. We had an octopus salad and a green salad for an appetizer. Both were delicious. For the main course, we had a veal stew mofongo (very tasty) and a large fried red snapper with creole sauce (loved the fish, no so much the sauce). Prices were reasonable for the island. Highly recommend.

Visited December 2013
South Huntington, NY
“Come here for the food”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

Our hotel recommended this place for dinner in Isabel Segundo. The food is delicious creative Puerto Rican cuisine. Prices are reasonable for what you get. I had the stuffed chicken breast and my husband had the seafood mofongo. Both dishes were outstanding and the portions are huge. The service is lacking, and our hotel informed us of that. I ordered the guava piña colada which was difficult to drink because of the large chunks of ice that didn't get crushed in the blender. They didn't come around to refill our waters or check how our meals were until they were practically gone. Mind you the restaurant was not busy. But hey, you come here for the food, which will not disappoint.

• Visited December 2013
NYC
“Mixed feelings but good food none the less.”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

generally, I like Conuco a lot. I usually recommend it highly, but my last experience there was disappointing.
We were seated quickly but did not get any water until after our orders were placed. That is not a good start. Plus, in a snide way, the waitress corrected my pronunciation of something on the menu. I didn't think that was a good move.
When the food came, it looked delicious. but what the appetizer I ordered was like a fried fritter. but the "masa" was raw in the middle. The waitress explained that it is already cooked and ok to eat. but I didn't have any of it, it is not a pleasant texture. but the dipping sauce was great. My friend had the oclopus ceviche, which was good. The waitress should have taken it back and brought it to the chef, but she just left it and walked away. we felt a bit ignored after that.
My friend had the conch mofungo, which was a bit too garlicy, but overall very very good. I had the pionono again and really enjoyed it.
after our meal the waitress said they took the appetizer off the bill. which was appropriate.
I will definitely go back there, I like the food overall, but I consistently find the service to be lacking. Great service is a mark of a great restaurant, not just great food.

3 Thank frankipoo
Forestville, New York
“Great Food and Atmosphere!”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My fiancee and I went to Conuco based on several recommendations. It didn't disappoint! I ate the stuffed chicken (so good!) and he had seafood with rice, which he said was delicious. The portions were very large for a more upscale restaurant, which made it worth the cost. The Blue Vieques drink was yummy - and strong! ;) The atmosphere was nice and we very much enjoyed our dinner at Conuco.