Clean, modern boutique hotel with a smart staff and within walking distance of everything in Esperanza.
- Clean; modern décor; up-to-date amenities (w/fridge)
- Parking; decent continental breakfast; WiFi
- Walking distance to everything in Esperanza, yet surprisingly quiet
- Loud air conditioner
- Small pool (more for soaking than swimming)
Malecon House is a clean, smart-looking boutique hotel situated in the heart of Esperanza, the more laid-back and partying town on Vieques (its workaday sister is Isabella Segunda, where the ferry docks). The owner’s large, friendly (but also calm/quiet) dog Coqui may welcome you upon arrival.
Despite its proximity to the party, MH provides quiet, comfortable lodging as well as a smart, professional staff. The owners are often manning the desk or on-site and can provide a wealth of information. The décor is modern and light without being cold. There is parking for about six cars (somewhat tight), which is a nice-to-have if you want to explore Esperanza on foot.
A continental breakfast of several cereals, pastries, and fresh fruit with coffee and tea is served on the front patio, which is also a nice place to read and catch-up on email at any time, as the hotel's WiFi extends throughout the property. There is a tiny, though beautifully decorated, pool with a handful of chaise lounge, but it's of dubious use, since it's out of view of the ocean or anything else worth seeing.
The room was spotless and had a comfortable queen-sized bed, a dresser/armoire, several end tables and a ottoman, as well as a safe and a mini-fridge. The bathroom was spacious, well-kept, with a very large modern shower. Like most if not all lodging on Vieques (and in the Caribbean), the floor is tiled, making it somewhat cold, but necessary for cleaning. Air-conditioning is provided by a window unit, but was a little rattle-trap and was loud when it kicked on (then off).
MH provides beach towels, beach chairs, boogie boards, sunscreen, and coolers to all guests. All in all the price was higher than Hector’s (where we also stayed on our visit) without a significant difference in amenities. But if you’re looking for something more chic and in-town, this was a solid choice.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The recipient of TripAdvisor's 2015 Excellence Hall of Fame Award, Malecon House is a 13-room inn situated on the Malecon, a fun, picturesque Caribbean seaside boardwalk in the charming village of Esperanza, Vieques, Puerto Rico. Stroll to interesting beach bars, a variety of restaurants, boutiques and exciting island-style activities. Close by, enjoy fine dining, upscale shopping, funky exotic nightlife, exhilarating ocean sports and beaches of unmatched natural beauty. Or enjoy peaceful seaside relaxation in the hotel’s beautiful gardens and oasis pool. The bioluminescent bay tours pick up right down the street where you can also rent snorkel gear, kayaks and jet skis. Free onsite parking though a car is not essential. We offer a complimentary continental breakfast on our sea view terrace where you can savor Puerto Rican coffee, tea, cereal, fresh fruit and homemade muffins. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Malecon House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Malecon House Hotel Isla De Vieques