“A gem in Vieques.”

Malecon House
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 22, 2011

Malecon House is truly the pearl in Esperanza and maybe for the entire island of Vieques. Esperanza is the best place to stay on Vieques, and Malecon House is the only wise choice. As previous reviewers have told us, this modern and new guest house is the perfect place to stay. We loved the whole concept, from the design and decoration of the rooms to the cozy but elegant atmosphere. Marsha took care of our every need. We enjoyed the simple breakfast and the comfortable atmosphere. Esperanza is a funky little town that we enjoyed immensely. I cannot imagine staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Malecon House

Reviewed May 20, 2011

I had always wanted to see Vieques, especially because my father was stationed there for 3 years. After a LONG search done by my sister and I...I decided on the Malecon House! My husband, kids and I were staying at his parents house in Barranquitas, PR for Easter break. My husband happened to turn 40 during this week so I wanted to do something special for him...without the kids. The Malecon House is THE nicest place to stay in Esperanza! The Inn keepers were ABSOLUTELY the nicest people, the Inn was super clean, comfortable and close to everything. We stayed in Rm 10 which is a suite with an ocean view. The pool is perfect for cooling off after a day at the beach. It was truly fabulous! The town of Esperanza is a hidden gem. Shops, restaurants, beaches, snorkeling, Spanish Reggae bands at night, etc ALL with in walking distance!!!

I have traveled to Paris, Jamaica, Antiqua, Bermuda....My husband and I really, really loved the Malecon House. He told me it was the best birthday present I've ever given him. I said, "Really?". He said it gave him such great memories and we plan to return there every year when we go to visit his parents on the main land.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Malecon House has to be the best looking place on Esperanza. The building is essentially new, even though they renovated an existing structure you can't tell; its as if the place had been built from scratch from the ground up. The rooms are simply decorated, impeccably maintained and very comfortable. The downstairs hallway always had vases with fresh beautiful flowers to brighten your day the moment you saw them. The owners went out of their way to accommodate us. We got to the island on the early ferry and they allowed us to check in early since our rooms were ready. On our last day we checked out but had to wait till the 6PM ferry and they allowed us to stow our bags in their office while we spent the day on the beach.
We liked it so much that we are already making arrangements to go back in 2 years.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 27, 2011

We stayed at the Malecon House after having traveled to Vieques many times and looking for many options which during the high season can be very difficult. The host, who also happens to be the owner's daughter went out of her way to accommodate us and to help us arrange our transportation around the island. The hotel and rooms are very clean and the grounds are kept beautifully. It is in a perfect location right by the waterfront where the action is in the Esperanza malecon area. The pool area was very nice as well and made you feel like you were staying in a private villa. This is first choice for value and location for anyone traveling to the island of Vieques. The thin crust pizzas at Lazy Jack's close by are the best I've had. We thank the hotel staff for a wonderful vacation and we will surely visit again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JMunoz_11
Reviewed March 9, 2011

My boyfriend and I booked this B&B at the last minute after deciding that camping at Sun Bay wasn't such a great idea. We were in Vieques during high season so we were surprised when they had one room available. We were SO happy they did. The price wasn't cheap, but it was very reasonable for the hotel's location and the season. The rooms were very European-like, they were a little on the small size and had simple accommodations, but it did not feel that way at all. The staff is incredible and very accommodating. They have a continental breakfast on the front patio every morning. It's simple but very good. The location is perfect. It's across from the promenade in Esperanza and steps away from the nightlife on the island; yet the hotel is very quiet and very relaxing.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2011

All the positive reviews you've read here about Malecon House are 100% accurate. My husband and I spent a week in the Buena Vista room which was quite lovely. The inn hosts are wonderful, and as others have said, they go out of their way to accomodate your needs. Each day began with a leisurely breakfast on their gorgeous patio. Everyone who stayed at Malecon House was so relaxed and friendly - we had many pleasant conversations with other guests before heading out for our daily adventures. We've travelled extensively and I can honestly say this was one of my favorite vacation spots!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Malecon House is a jewel right in the heart of Esperanza, the only town on Vieques that faces the Caribbean. It is new (only two years old), attractively designed, and clean as a whistle. The hosts, Marsha and Robin, together with their daughter, Cariad, did everything they can to make our stay enjoyable - even to the point of jumping our car twice (see separate review on Martineau Car Rental!). The guest house is well located right along "the strip" of Esperanza with pleasant views across the street to the bay. The continental breakfast was great: there was cereal, good coffee and fruit in addition to the very tasty homemade scones and muffins. (If you want a full breakfast, you can go next door on either side) The pool is small but beautifully designed and soothing after the intensity of the beach. It's easy to walk to one of the nicest beaches on the island (maybe ten minutes to the east). It's also easy to walk to a number of nearby restaurants. The only thing I'd recommend (and I'd recommend it to anyone going to Vieques so it's not Malecon House in particular) is to bring a pair of earplugs if you sleep lightly - - - the roosters do start crowing early in the morning! But unless you're willing to spring for the W, you're going to hear that everywhere.)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Bravo Beach Hotel
Bravo Beach Hotel
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
The St. Regis Bahia Beach Resort, Puerto Rico

Been to Malecon House? Share your experiences!