“Esperanza, go now...”

Casa de Tortuga
Northern Calif.
“Esperanza, go now...”
Reviewed January 3, 2011

last november kris and i walked down front street in Lahaina for about the 50th time, still enjoying every minute of it, and once again saying "don't you wish we had been here 50 years ago, before Hilo Hattie and the Crazy Shirt guys... If you have ever felt this way, whether in hawaii or key west etc.. go to Vieques, stay in Esperanza, and stay at Casa de Tortuga. We were there for a short while in december, and other than Hawaii, it's one of the few places around the world we've ben to where we want to get right back to.
It's not often that as a guest you immediately feel like family, but both casa de tortuga and esperanza make you feel this way. this place is special. go now...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boston
Reviewed December 30, 2010

We just finished a 3 night stay at the Casa De Tortuga - and it was wonderful!!
Matt the owner was very accommodating and flexible with our questions and needs - we loved the DVD library available free of charge with great titles, the beach towels and beach chairs that were also available. The private pool is lovely and enjoyable. The location is convenient right next to the beach and boardwalk -
While Breakfast is not included, the room is fully equipped and we walked for 3 minutes to the nearby convenient store and Bakery - for a few dollars you get bread hot from the oven with some pastries for dessert - and you got the prefect breakfast in your room.
all these and more make Casa De Tortuga a winning choice for your Vieques stay.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank GH2006
Murphys, California
Reviewed December 29, 2010

Casa de Tortuga is about 1/2 block from the Malecon in Esperanza and around the corner from a fairly decent grocery store. The room was perfected appointed and we were ready to move in for at least a month! Small pool in the back, perfect temperature and chairs to lounge on. Our hosts, Matt and Caitlin were personable and helpful. I was ready to adopt them! Our most exciting time was when an iguana fell out of a tree and was chased into the pool by Matt's dog Pickle. Caitlin has a great coffee spot with bagels just a short way down the Malecon. Beautiful beaches and good restaurants nearby. And a kayak trip to the Bioluminescent Bay made our stay perfecto! Oh yeah, we will definitely go back to Esperanza and we will definitely stay at Casa de Tortuga.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adventurer_Librarian
New York, NY
Reviewed December 2, 2010

If you plan on staying in Esperanza, this is probably the best place to stay. It's very close to the Melecon strip but not located directly on the strip (if you need rest and quiet, you won't get any staying on the main street). The accomodations are comfortable, rooms are well decorated, and the service is great.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cruzker
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed August 15, 2010

My family and I (two small kids, mother-in-law, and my spouse,) spent six nights at Casa de Tortuga in the Surf Shack. This space is absolutely perfect for this type of familial situation, with three bedrooms, a kitchen, bathroom, living area, and a private balcony, which is nearly as big as the interior unit.

It appears that the Casa was completed earlier this year and everything is in great shape. The grounds are beautiful with a small pool, access to grills, and trees that have mangos, breadfruit, star fruit, and guavas. You can't beat the location, with the Malecon (e.g. downtown Esperanza) one block~ to the south. A bakery is located within a minute, or so, walk to the northwest (this bakery is amazing having fresh pastries every morning except on holidays). Additionally, there is a small grocery store next to the bakery.

I read the only terrible review given, and I obviously didn't have the same experience. Matt, the manager, lives on-site on the ground floor and is there 90%+ of the time. If he isn't, he leaves a phone #. Clean towels are available, if you ask. Additionally, you can borrower beach chairs, beach towels, boogie boards, etc (no need to bring this equipment). Please note, that the only part of the surf shack that didn't have hot water was the kitchen sink; otherwise, the shower and sink in the bathroom does, and it's readily available. Also note that all water on Vieques that isn’t via a water heater is the same 86F~ temperature (pool, rain, sea, etc)!

This was my second time to Esperanza, and I will definitely go back and stay at the Casa as this was one of the most relaxing vacations ever, and yes, that’s with the whole family!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Toddhino
London
Reviewed August 10, 2010

I stayed there with a friend on our tour of the islands and we both loved it. The standard of room was really high, it was tastefully arranged and really comfortable. The place has it's own pool, and even with the sea round the corner it was great to have a splash on the way out/in. Matt was a great host, exceptionally helpfull and very kind! I'd definitely stay there again!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I stayed 2 nights on the island of Vieques this past June. Although I have spent a lot of time on the mainland I had never ventured to Vieques. Casa de Tortuga was the perfect place to be. I did a lot of research and read a lot of reviews before I made my reservations and I am so glad I chose Casa de Tortuga, I would stay again and highly recommend it to anyone!! Just a few steps (literally) to the malecon, restaurants, beaches and nightlife, its location was perfect. And as one other traveler mentioned since its location is just slightly away from the malecon, a quiet, restful nights sleep is easily achieved.
Matt is the best host! I felt right at home and he went out of his way to help me when I had trouble getting a taxi to the airport. The neighbors and the other guests were friendly. I travel alot on my own, so I appreciate reviews that assure one will feel safe and I can assure you of that. Everyone in the neighborhood and town were great. I had a single room and it was so much more than I expected...their website does not do it justice. The casita was large, roomy and very clean. It had a fridge, microwave and table and chairs. The bed was so comfortable!! Travelers remember if this is your first trip to Vieques, it is wonderful, you won't be dissappointed, but keep in mind this is laid back island life. Where else could you see wild horses walking down the street while you are having your morning coffee over looking the ocean?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo