La Finca is a special place, there is no doubt about that. I was looking for a place to get out of the city and relax on Vieques island, and I couldn't be happier I ended up here! I was traveling alone and wanted a good mix of meeting people, yet being able to completely unplug and relax. This was it!
La Finca is not your typical hotel, it's more Swiss Family Robinson, then your Holiday Inn experience, and this is exactly why you should go. There is nothing more boring then, showing up to your exotic location and checking into a typical hotel room, one bed, one night stand, TV, bathroom, small soaps. The whole point of traveling is for an experience, something you will cherish forever. La Finca is tucked away in the hills of the island, with some of the most beautiful views I have ever seen. The whole property is rustic, and lush with plant life. The showers are outdoors and open 24 hours, there is a salt water pool. Every window and door is open giving you plenty of fresh air flowing through the property. There is a large kitchen fully stocked (with pots/pans etc) for cooking, and a ton of places to sit / lay down on for lounging, reading, or taking a quick nap.
Many of you will be coming to get to the beach, so make sure you book a car in advance. You can not walk to the beach from La Finca, but to be honest being away from the downtown areas is really ideal. I rented a scooter since I was traveling alone, it was a TON of fun, but sometimes I wished I had more room to bring a beach chair, etc. Also getting to the smaller hidden beaches on scooter was NOT EASY, but to me was a fun adventure :)
If you want to experience something unique, relax, meet some great people, and really feel like you are experiencing Vieques, come to La Finca. If you want to just spend your vacation watching TV with the AC on, this is not the place for you.
- If you stay in the communal house, it's a great way to meet other travelers
- Beautiful views of the island from up on the hill
- Outdoors showers (day or night)
- Warm breeze blowing through the whole house
- Cozy rustic bed rooms
- Beautiful HUGE kitchen (Bring your own groceries to cook)
- Salt water pool
- Plenty of chairs / Hammocks to plop yourself in for a nap or to read a book
- No TV, No Ac (you don't need it!)
- The bedroom walls were a little thin, but this is all a part of the experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vieques' most beautiful rustic getaway and original eco-tourism destination since 1995....A rare taste of the Caribbean -- the way it used to be, quiet, natural & affordable. Perfect for groups of two to thirty, workshops, family reunions, or romantic getaways for just the two of you. Anyone who likes off the beaten track and wants to experience the Caribbean the way it was meant to be: quiet, natural and affordable. Salt water pool, outdoor showers, hammocks, views and breezes. La Finca is a cluster of handmade houses -- our large wooden main house, Casa Grande, alone can sleep 18-22, but we also have two family size cabanas and two smaller casitas, all on 3 acres of fruit trees & palms, on the off-beat island of Vieques, seven miles from Puerto Rico's eastern shore; a 25 minute flight and a world away from San Juan....We're up in the hills, with beautiful views and tradewinds, three miles away from the bustle of town...Talk about getting away! We're not a hotel, or a b&b ... The finca is our family's own private "finca" that we love to share with like-minded eco travelers -- folks who like things as natural and simple as possible. Our towels don't match, our showers are outdoors (don't worry -- they're private), the skies are jet black and studded with stars, and the property is dotted in coco palms, mangoes, starfruit, bananas, and a dozen hammocks ... Tropical summer camp, quiet and beautiful. Think Swiss Family Robinson... (Please note: Feb-March 2015 renting the whole finca means all houses/cabins with exception of Cabanita and includes 10 bedrooms with 7 baths and can sleep up to 33.) ... more less
- Also Known As:
- La Finca Caribe Hotel Isla De Vieques