“great week at la finca” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of La Finca Vieques

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
La Finca Vieques
seattle, wa
“great week at la finca”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2008

had a great week at la finca, very relaxed, and very quiet. nelson and jane are great hosts, and always ready to help out finding a restaurant or a beach. really love the place, up on the hill, out of the noise of town. bill p.

2 Thank billyted47

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
samsamsamsamsam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2007

My friends and I go to Vieques every year and have stayed at a wide variety of places on the island. This year we stayed at La Finca Caribe for the first time and we fell in love! This is just the type of rustic tropical paradise we've been looking for. The landscape of flowers and coconut palms was beautiful. It was very well taken of, clean yet funky at the same time. Lounging by the pool was heavenly and perfect for relaxing afternoons. The managers were nice and helpful. As with everywhere on Vieques, you really need a rental car to get around to see all the beaches, especially since La Finca is up in the hills. I will definately go back and will highly recommend the place to others.

1 Thank samsamsamsamsam
mrminthebronx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2007

My second stay at La Finca was even better than the first. The second I got out of my car at La Finca, I heard the wind blowing through the palm trees and I remembered how peaceful it is up there. Staying at the hotel is a great way to enjoy nature while having useful and enjoyable amenities such as a kitchen and a pool. As you fall asleep at night, you will hear the sounds of the forest and the coquis, and during the day you will have an incredible view of the ocean. All this for $30 per person ($60 room for two)!!

Nelson and Jayne are doing a great job hosting at La Finca, and they are certainly some of the friendliest and most helpful people I've met during any of my travels. Keep up the great work. I'll certainly be back soon!

Stayed August 2007
2 Thank mrminthebronx
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2007

My college roommate and I (from NYC and San Francisco respectively) decided that we wanted to do a trip away from the craziness of the city. She had stayed at La Finca a few years earlier and had a lovely time, so we decided to go back. Upon arriving, we were upgraded, for free, to a new cabin located in the wooded (or jungle-fied to be more accurate) section of the property. The cabin was clean and comfortable with a private outdoor shower and toilet.

The lodge is run by a very chill couple (and their toddler). They were accomodating and helpful, helping us find cabs and kayak companies for the bio-bay. (They were even kind enough to drive us to the 6am ferry when our cab didn't show up, though I recommend just keeping your car. I felt really bad waking them up at 5:45am!) They encouraged us--like we needed encouragement!--to use their fully-stocked bar, and we got full use of the main house gormet kitchen.

I can't say enough about how much fun we had and how relaxing the entire vacation was. As far as eco-vacations go, this is the place to do it.

Thanks La Finca!

• Liked — The lodge itself blended in with the outdoors. I felt very close to nature
  • Disliked — Our cabin was a little close to the adjourning guest house. It could be loud at night if there were a lot of people staying at the big house.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Internationalplaygrl
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2007

This place is great! Very rustic, basic and simple, secluded..located away from the beach amid beautiful trees and rolling hills...Wooden bunker beds, open windows, outdoor showers, open common rooms..Perfect place for those looking for a unique place to stay..and never leave.

• Liked — the openess to nature
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2006

great place. very relaxing. rustic, natural ambience. fantastic getaway from the city.

Stayed November 2006
Mountain View, Arkansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2006

Per the previous poster; La Finca AND Vieques is magical.

I chose Vieques as my destination for its wild and beautiful beaches and all my dreams were realized. It appears that 70% of the island is a National Wildlife Refuge – which means it belongs to me (and you). One can drive all day and never see another soul on the very rough offroads or even the beaches.

I rented a fairly raggedy Toyota FourRunner which I adored from Steve's Rentals. Their motto is "No Problem" and indeed it was no problem. (Another rental company I eavesdropped on as some guests were checking in lectured the renters for a whole hour about iguanas, liquor laws, which roads they couldn’t go down, etc. Yuck!) I think the 4 x 4 I rented was a local’s personal vehicle: tinted windows, air freshners et al. The truck was at La Finca when I got there. The key was on my bed. I only had to drive it to the airport upon departure. >> gas is steep! $6/g. As an addendum, I never could get accustomed to driving the paved roads on the island. So so narrow for a big big truck. I was white knuckled and felt I narrowly escaped accidents each day; but it did go right along with my adventuresome mindset.

La Finca perfectly suited my wild Caribbean beach adventure. High up in the hills with only one other structure in site was my jungle heaven which I truly was calling Home within 5 hours. St. Croix is visible from the scrumptious deck. I’ve heard it called “the plywood palace”; this is apt. I also read that La Finca feels like a grown up summer camp without any structure; this is dead on. I can’t stop myself from calling it the Hippie Guest House. Certainly the greatest aspect to me were the other few travelers who came and went during my stay. I was soo sad after some folks left. As a solo traveler, I looked forward to the company on the decks and in the kitchen each evening. There wasn’t one restaurant on the island that interested me, therefore each night I was in the kitchen planning communal meals and sharing the details of my days on the beach and gleaming from other’s experiences. The new caretakers (a sweet couple from Michigan I think) did a great job of making me feel at home and very always busying themselves keeping the property maintained. I stayed in a room in the main house. All the seating areas have really comfortable seats and the indirect lighting is primo. I also enjoy private cabanas, yet don’t miss out on the community feel of the big house.

As per my only negative about my trip, it’s the bugs. And I never complain about bugs. I just wasn’t prepared. Cutter didn’t work. Citronella oil didn’t work. Long pants and shirts in the evening didn’t work. Abe Sr., an exuberant guide I hired for a kayak trip gave me some Skin So Soft Oil. THAT worked. The bugs bite all day, everywhere on the island in early November. The itch poison stayed in my skin for a week. At La Finca, at the beaches, in the car, morning and night – the bugs were biting me! Skin so Soft. Skin so soft! Yet the bugs wouldn’t stop me from returning. Some folks there weren’t as affected as I was. Hmmm?

Ok, so write me if you have any more questions. I’ll be happy to keep yapping about my trip to Vieques.

~Virginia

• Liked — It's rustic and eco-adventure sensibility
  • Disliked — fleas
  • Tips/Secrets — enjoy the common area of the main house!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled solo