“It's a beach bar. Plain and simple.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Al's Mar Azul

Al's Mar Azul
More attraction details
Owner description: A waterfront dive popular as a pool by day, and hangout spot by night.
Birmingham, AL
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“It's a beach bar. Plain and simple.”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

We didn't eat. Their food setup was at the Patronales festival. Mama Songa's brought food over and it was delicious. As for Al's - we walked in at 11 am off a sailboat. Salt in the hair and sand on our feet. No problem. Clean bathroom. Deck is hot and sunny midday, but it has a beautiful view. Drinks were strong and inexpensive. DH loved the heavy and loud music. Al's is complete with a sea glass beach below if you don't mind Charlie the shaman accompanying you on your quest for treasure.

Visited July 2011

San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great new owner”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

So my first impression of this place was "what is the big deal." We arrived just before sun down and the outside deck was packed. We found a place to stand on the deck. We were standing because we were late which was our fault. Now my biggest pet peeve is that smoking was only allowed outside so that means almost everyone outside was smoking. Now I know this has nothing to do with Al's as you can't stop people from smoking but the deck was small and there was no where to go to avoid the smoke if you wanted to watch the sunset.

The drinks were really good but the bartender seemed over worked and he really could have used an extra person back behind the bar. There is that crunch time around sunset where everyone wants drinks so the drinks took a very long time. I am sure that one bar tender is just fine all the other hours of the day.

So since we were staying down the street we decided to come back the next night. This time I was prepared for the smoke so it didn't seem too bad. Also we got there a little earlier and the drinks didn't take too long.

Then my parents started talking to the owner about how they were not rum fans before coming to Puerto Rico. They had a rum conversation with the very personable new owner. He insisted they try Ron de Barrilito which is the oldest rum in Puerto Rico and ONLY sold on the island. It is not imported outside the island. So my parents were sold and they made a new friend.

I have to admit that after the smoke and our first night I gave this place a not so nice review. But after meeting the owner I deleted the review and it has taken me a few months to rewrite it.

This would take money but my suggestion would be to extend the deck around the building and have a smoking and a non smoking side. Since Al's is the best place on the island for sunsets I don't think non smokers should be penalized by watching a sunset with smoke in our face.

1 Thank ChanelCinq
Cortland, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Great place to relax after a day of exploring”
Reviewed April 16, 2011

This was the first place we walked in after we checked-in at our B&B in Isabel Segunda. Food was very good (you have four-five choices for food, but it is good and my stomach is usually very picky :) The owner is around in the evenings and he's very relaxed. The view from their terrace is amazing - you see the Ocean all the way to mainland Puerto Rico. Good place to chill out after a day of beach, sun, and exploring Vieques.

Visited April 2011
provincetown
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The new owners of Als kept it a great beach front dive bar!”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Still a great beach front dive bar with the best Margarita (Renee-tita) in the islands! Now they serve really good bar food too! Cheap too!

1 Thank jtts
Fairfield, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Let's get real...”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

Top pick on Vieques??? Let's get real guys (and Gals) Unless you're stuck in Isabella waiting for a ferry, this is close to the last place I'd hang out. Crowded (expats, drunks, & people waiting for the ferry) smokey, lousy bartender, food - wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole (have you looked in the kitchen???). Go once for the sunset just to say you've been there - then go to Duffy's in Esperanza, or Inn at the Blue Horizon's bar...better yet - Grab a cooler with some beers/cocktails and head for Green Beach or Sun Bay

1 Thank gerryfs