Hacienda Tamarindo
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
El Blok Hotel(Esperanza)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Bravo Beach Hotel(Isla de Vieques)
Hotel Kokomo(Culebra)
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewshonor bartamarind treecasita lindahonor systemcaribbean deluxebeach chairsmade to order breakfastthe breakfast areabreakfast was deliciousblue horizonbio bayevery morningrental carwild horsesthought of everythingbed and breakfastview of the ocean
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 13, 2009

The reason Hacienda Tamarindo is a great stay starts with what a visit to Vieques entails. The island doesn't have a lot of development, which makes it "unspoiled," but can also occasionally make you miss an amenity or two (we would say "deal with it," but that's another story). The nice thing about Hacienda Tamarindo is it adds a little luxury and amenity without losing the casual, easygoing way of Vieques. You won't plan a visit here because of the little touches like the free beach chairs and cooler, and the honor bar, but they will be much appreciated after you get here. The staff was attentive without being in your face, the owner was friendly and helpful (we note some past guests haven't clicked with him, but maybe he's a good judge of character). Did we mention breakfast was great? Lastly, the setting is a paradise and the hotel is eclectically decorated (in a good way). And the pool is a nice place to chill out. No, you can't walk to the beach, but you'll have more fun tooling around the island in your jeep anyway.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ROThornhill
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Just got back from an island wedding in Vieques where we stayed at the Hacienda Tamarindo. We were the only ones from about 65 attendees to stay at this hotel, and we are very glad we did. The room was sizeable and the A/C kept us cool at night. The views and pool are amazing, but the full breakfast each morning put the stay over the top. Beach chairs,coolers, and ice are provided for daily trips to the beaches, which are awesome. Jim, one of the managers was extremely pleasant and helfpul. After seeing some of the other places people stayed, I am glad we spent a little more to stay at the Hacienda. Only complaint is that the bed was not very comfortable....you can't have it all.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Cuse44
Reviewed February 5, 2009

We had a really great stay at the Hacienda Tamarindo. I was concerned at first because I had trouble reaching someone when I called the hotel to make my reservation. Once we arrived, we had no trouble whatsoever getting all our needs met by the staff. Our room was quiet and clean. You can see the ocean from the hotel, but it is not within easy walking distance. I think this is true of all the hotels (at least that we saw) on Vieques. We were glad we rented a Jeep because there were so many nice beaches to explore. The hotel pool was very nice. The hotel grounds were very comfortable and again, quiet and clean. The complimentary breakfast was delicious and cooked to order! We were looking for a quiet getaway and did not expect a 5 star resort with lots of pampering and amenities. The Hacienda Tamarindo met, and in fact exceeded, our expectations.

Vieques was much more rustic than I was expecting, but once I got used to it, I loved it. The two main towns are Esperanza (which is close to the Tamarindo) and Isabel Segundo. We really enjoyed going to the various beaches in the nature preserve. We often had them to ourselves! Snorkeling and swimming were highlights of the trip. Do not miss the Biobay. We stayed a week in Vieques and a day in San Juan. If I were doing it again, I'd stay 3 or 4 days in Vieques and spend more time exploring other parts of Puerto Rico. Vieques was really nice, but I felt that in a week we had seen nearly everything.

I was concerned about food and water safety, but there was no reason to be worried. Puerto Rico conforms to the same standards as the United States mainland. We ate everything that we wanted to in restaurants and even a roadside stand, and drank regular tap water, and had no problems whatsoever.

We rented a Jeep from Maritzas (coordinated through the Hacienda Tamarindo) and again, had no trouble whatsoever.

We contemplated taking the ferry but ended up taking the Vieques Air Link. It was my first time on a small aircraft and it was scary at first, but I was so glad we saved all the time and unpredictability of the ferry.

Closing thoughts - do your homework on Vieques. If you are looking for something rustic, off the beaten path, with beautiful beaches, I definitely recommend it, and the Hacienda Tamarindo is a great place to stay. If you are expecting a typical touristy resort, this hotel - and in fact Vieques - may not be for you.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
5  Thank GRV
Reviewed February 5, 2009

This review is long over due. My husband and I stayed for 1 week we stayed in 2 different rooms on 1 floor that had ocean view. Both rooms were nice.What I did notice was that all rooms were nice even lower priced were a great buy. [for bugets] The pool was just a breath of fresh air. Pictures don't do property justice.Food was terrific and staff fantastic.We did the bio. bay tour very fun.We loved all the animals. Barkley the dog , cat and shabu the bird.Also we had a car rented, which is a must. Great island to explore. The beaches are fantastic and esperanza at night was fun for music and drinks bar was called Bananas I think. We met lots of nice guest and tried a variety of good resturants from rib's, to sushi. This place is well worth a visit I can't say enough. Kisses to all the wonderful staff.

• Stayed: January 2007
2  Thank elzabeth
Reviewed January 22, 2009

A charming, small hotel, beautifully designed and furnished in a nineteen-thirties atmosphere, with a beautiful Caribbean view, a perfect pool and a warm library. About a five minute walk brings you to a deserted beach on the Caribbean. This is great for sunning but not for swimming. There are underwater rocks.

Vieques is less developed at least partially because large areas are government owned and/or nature preserves. There are no high rises, golf or casinos. A rental car really helps, it is pretty much a necessity. Once you buy into the Vieques style, Hacienda Tamarindo has to be on your short list for hotels. I couldn’t help but think of Hemmingway’s Islands in the Stream the entire time I was there. You can't go wrong unless your looking for a spring break atmosphere.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple