“Perfect Retreat”

Hacienda Tamarindo
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed at the Hacienda Tamarindo for a week, Jan. 21 to 28. It was a beautiful, relaxing, perfect retreat. Our room was large, clean, and had a magnificent view of the ocean over a pasture of horses. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. For example, when we had an early flight, they arranged for breakfast an hour early. In so many ways, Tamarindo is an enchanting place. And it is convenient. It is a fifteen minute walk into town and a short drive to beautiful Sun Bay, Playa Grande, and other beautiful beaches. Tamarindo was recommended by a friend. In turn, we will recommend it without hesitation to friends who want to go to Vieques.

Room Tip: We had Rm 24. It was quiet and had a great view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2014

We very much appreciate reading your great review. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and that you plan to recommend us to friends. We love having guest who have "Vieques" expectations, and therefore enjoy what Hacienda Tamarindo and the island have to offer.

There are newer reviews for Hacienda Tamarindo

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Only stayed for one night but I cannot wait to get back again. Im not sure I could stay there for more than 3 days since I am one that needs to be “connected” but I enjoyed every minute of my stay. If you are looking for a place to relax and get away from the world with no distractions I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

It takes a lot to write such a nice review after a stay of only one night. I am so glad that you enjoyed it. We truly look forward to your return visit. Many thanks.

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Had a wonderful stay at HT in Dec. 2013; friendly, helpful staff, gorgeous views of the water from our room, great cooked-to-order breakfast included with your room rate, lots of beach paraphernalia available (some basic beach chairs can be borrowed for free, each room has a cooler that can be filled from the hotel's ice machine for taking snacks to the beach. and fresh beach towels are provided with your daily linen service; other items like premium chairs, snorkeling equipment, sunscreen, bug repellant, etc, available for a daily rental fee). Our rental car was delivered to the hotel by Maritza's rentals, which made our late-night arrival hassle-free. HT really makes it easy for you to just get off the plane, drop off your luggage and go right to the beach! Can't wait to go back!
Some potential visitors might want to know that the wi-fi does not work in every room, but there is a "library" with books for borrowing & a computer for guest use that does have internet access; there are no in-room TVs; you will need a rental car to explore the island.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your holiday at Hacienda Tamarindo in Vieques. We love it when our guests enjoy all that the island has to offer--tranquility, beautiful beaches, and a natural environment. We truly appreciate that you took the time to write about a good experience, and hope we will see you again.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed for 5 days over the winter holidays and had a fantastic experience. The Hacienda Tamarindo is comfortable, clean, relaxing and has gorgeous views. The pool is clean, and great for refreshing swims. The people who work there are friendly and helpful without being intrusive. The breakfasts were good with a different special everyday. The hotel has lots of nice touches like clean beach towels provided daily, beach chairs and picnic lunches prepared by request at a very reasonable price. We loved the hotel and we loved the island. This is a place for people who want relaxing comfort with incredible natural beauty not a big resort.

Room Tip: The family suite was very comfortable and quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank camva

Thank you for taking the time to write your great review. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your holiday vacation with us. The island is quiet, relaxing and beautiful and I am so pleased that you appreciated that, and that you made the effort to acknowledge our staff.

Reviewed January 11, 2014

All communication from Hacienda Tamarindo was prompt and informative during the booking process. We had a potential issue with our flight and car rental, which I called about in San Juan and Marie was able to call the car company for me. Very good service and follow up. The initial tour of the property is super helpful when you show up. Loved the quaintness of the decor. Little details are definitely given attention. The library is adorable and the honor bar/ honor store is a great touch. The breakfasts are delicious and make the whole day easier because a light lunch at the beach is all that is needed. Honestly, I was annoyed to read the last review about the woman who was mad about the no child policy. It's a great policy for couples and groups of friends who want to have a quiet and relaxing vacation. There are plenty of other places to stay on the island for families. Hacienda Tamarindo offers a tranquil, relaxing environment, full of unpretentious, up-scale service. We had the basic queen room facing the pool, which was quite large, clean and well-suited to a beach vacation. I would definitely recommend this hotel for couples vacations in Vieques. My boyfriend and I loved it!

3  Thank Dara R
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

I really want to thank you for taking the time to write this great review of our hotel and staff, and for defending our policy of adults and teens of 15 or older. It is rewarding to have a guest speak out in support what we do. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay on Vieques and at Hacienda Tamarindo, and I do hope we will see you again in the future. Again, many thanks.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

I tried to book this hotel today for a stay in February. I mentioned that I had a family of 4 with 2 young children. They said they has availability for 4 out of our 6 days. They even said they could help to arrange a car for the entire stay (the additional days we would not be at the hotel). They were extremely helpful. I called a second time and they told me to book online. I did and I then got an email stating that they would not accept children under 15 in the winter months. I told them we had already been told that a queen room was available for us but the woman owner said no. I said there is nothing on their web site to say they do not allow children and she said there was. I asked where and she said she didn't know. Then she said they would have to update their web site. This is really discriminatory and very upsetting. We have 2 children that are well behaved and are often in the company of adults. They have traveled extensively. I guess if we wait until April, May or June we would be acceptable for this hotel. Unreal.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
14  Thank Adrienne8182
LWVQS, Owner at Hacienda Tamarindo, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

I apologize for the fact that I was not in the office when I picked up the phone, and was unprepared to respond to your questions about our web site. Our policy regarding children is clearly stated on the "Rate" page of our site and has been since it was created. I am sorry, too, that you got so far into the reservation process before we realized that you have a six year old. That is one of the first questions we usually ask. That being said, I cannot make an exception for you, even under the threat of your writing this review, because we have many guests who, being aware of the policy, come here with the expectation that there will be no children.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Loved it! Wonderful experience. Small, clean, relaxing, friendly, quiet, easy, beautiful! Delicious breakfast is included. Comfortable bed. Cool decor in the common areas. Helpful staff. Great location. Honor bar in lobby area open 24/7. Each room provideded with a hard-sided cooler to use to take refreshments to the beach. For a reasonable cost you can request a picnic lunch the night before and it will be ready in a soft-sided cooler when you are ready to head to the beaches in the morning. A great place. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michael K

Thank you for that lovely review. I am delighted to hear that your enjoyed your stay at Hacienda Tamarindo. We definitely look forward to your return visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
El Blok Hotel
#1 of 1 in Esperanza
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve

Been to Hacienda Tamarindo? Share your experiences!