Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM

from $76.94
from $175.00
from $115.96
2,587 results
All reviews new moon mosquito bay full moon fish electric boat kayak tour puerto rico moonless night once in a lifetime natural wonder unique experience dark night bucket list clear night mosquito repellent micro organisms glass bottom kayaks
Selected filters
Reviewed March 20, 2014

And sad remnant of it's former self. I dunno why the Biobay is nearly dark. Our last tour in March 2014 was okay, but the dinoflaggelates are clearly not happy. Personally I think it's development around the bay. But I could be completely wrong and, if so, then I'm complicit in killing the bay. I was first here in 1995...and it was so bright, you could see the wind-pushed ripples light up...no more. Should you go? I dunno. I guess I'd say no. But no one seems to really know. Fajardo is dark too. Maybe it's us. Do you want that on your conscience?

2  Thank Mark P
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Although I was Soo very disappointed not to be able to see the world's best bioluminescent bay, I have the greatest respect for owner of Vieques Adventure Company, Garry Lowe, for canceling all tours. Having read about the microscopic organisms called dinoflagellates that emit a bluish light - a chemical reaction - in response to perceived threat ( movement ), we came to visit Vieques with the highlight of our trip being the visit to Bio-Bay. Evidently, the glow has stopped. It is not as it was even months ago. The reason is unclear since this bay has been inundated with people & tours for years. Whether it has been polluted with people still swimming in the water ( this was supposed to be stopped, yet some tour groups still permit people in the water), chemical bug sprays, changing weather conditions, or a combination of all these - no one really knows, but the glow of former years has disappeared! Garry is refunding all monies which means he is losing quite a large income. He is the only tour with clear acrylic canoes which would give you a wonderful view. This means he is refunding 1,000s of booked tours! What I cannot believe is that there are still tour groups ( Abe's, for one) that continue to take visitors' money instead of canceling because not much glow is seen! I've recently read reviews that are critical of their tour since they saw very little luminescent & are not aware that honest tour guides would not have taken their money since this bay has changed - they believe it never existed! Hope that in time Mother Nature will bring back this natural wonder. It seems to require a much needed rest. Wish the government would get involved to regulate some guide lines so that all these many tour companies would be required to obey the same safety rules or be fined.
KUDOS to Garry!! The world needs more honest people who truly care about nature.Those who do good will be rewarded!

Date of experience: February 2014
7  Thank NatureLover99_11
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Make sure you do the Vieques Biobay tour and not the Fajardo or West coast tours.. The Vieques is the brighter of the tours.. and definitely go when it's darker.. It is an amazing experience and one that is hard to describe. You simply MUST do this once in your life. =)

1  Thank JessaLynn82
Reviewed March 17, 2014

What is the best definition I can give? TOURIST TRAP!
Don´t lose your time going there, only if you would like to do a Kayak ride in the middle of the night to see some little sparkles in the water
This is for any company you make take as all go to the same place… they will tell you that is a 2 hours tour, but only getting there and out will take 1h, as the road is in a very bad condition
To summarize it: you will paddle for about 15min to a location and they will explain about the bay and the phytoplankton, then paddle again to another location were you will put the hand and move the water, some sparkles of light will appear, look like some little fireflies on the water, forget about the pictures showing everything light up, they are Photoshop!
I did in a night that had some moon light, but I don’t think that on a night with no moon would be much more different, the 5 or 6 sparkles maybe should be a little more bright
So save your time and money and get a good dinner or something else ;)

1  Thank ViLaruccia
Reviewed March 14, 2014

There is a problem with the bay this winter but folks told us it had gotten better, so we went on our last night. The guide was very good, the kayaking was easy, but very few spots of activity. We called it quits after an hour.