“hix house was amazing!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Beverly, Massachusetts
“hix house was amazing!”
Reviewed July 17, 2006

i heard about the hix house from a friend of mine who stayed there 3 years ago. the first picture she showed me made me fall in love and vow to get there one day. fast forward to earlier this year...my company was going to take us all on a "work trip" to st. john, along with our significant other, as a bonus. the trip, unfortunately, got canceled. instead, we received a monetary bonus. but that money was supposed to be for a trip, so that's what i did. finally, i could go to the hix house.

up until we got to the airport to fly down to san juan, i had my boyfriend believing that we were still going on a company trip. the look on his face was priceless when i told him what was really happening (it was also his birthday present). after a night in isla verde, a hike to la mina falls, and a tiny plane flight to vieques, we arrived at the hix house.

we were supposed to be there by 4:30, but the flight was delayed. i called the people at hix to let them know, and they set it all up so that they would leave our key, and they offered to make us dinner reservations. we finally got to the hix house around 6, and my boyfriend couldn't believe his eyes. neither could i...it was more beautiful than the pictures. we found our room (loft 3), and again were stunned. we decided to go for a swim in the amazing pool, and ran into diane. we spoke with her for a long time, and she was just such a delight.

the first night, we went about things a little wrong. we got dressed late for dinner, so we had the lights on. this attracted lots of moths and giant beetles. after this experience, we developed a plan for the following nights...close the giant windows before sunset, and only use candles at night. when we would return from dinner, we could open the windows, let the breeze blow in, and be bug free. plus, the candles were much more romantic anyway. although i will admit the bugs could be a little fun. the first morning when i awoke, i flicked a little spider off the mosquito netting, and immediately saw a lizard (i named him francis) run from under our bed and promptly eat the spider.

taking a shower outside was incredible. each time, there were 2 lizards (sebastian and tobias) on the door catching water on their tongues, and a hummingbird in the tree next to me. we had massages in our room (we both fell asleep during them because they were amazing), and were completely at peace for our entire stay. i am a huge lizard fan, so having so many of them sharing our loft was such a treat for me.

i'll admit that the first night, with those beetles in the room and flying into the walls, i was questioning my decision. but once we figured out how to keep them away, the loft was absolutely glorious. the people who work there are very friendly and very helpful. they obviously know the island well, and had great recommendations for places go to, beaches to see, and restaurants to eat at. the setting of the hix house is unlike anything i've ever seen, and you feel so secluded and private that you never want to leave. if you're looking for the most peaceful place in the carribean, this is it. i can't wait to go back!

5 Thank abwilson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 12, 2006

Yes, believe the reviews...Hix is all that, and more.

But be realistic about your expectations. There are no windows and you are exposed. I was shocked to find out that I thought Hix was a little too "one with nature" for my comfort level (I thought I would be down with the bugs and rain) but in actuality found it much more camping than luxury hotel. Don't get me wrong, it is architecturally striking, environmentally friendly and a retreat from technology and the mundane routine. But it's not for everyone (and i'm not exactly a "princess" type). It just didn't live up to it's expectations once I arrived...and we didn't get daily fresh baked bread...we got one for the week. The owners were nice...enough...but not overly so (we met them once). I guess we'd heard all the hype about how wonderful Hix was and were a little disappointed it didn't live up to it.

Something about being surrounded by concrete was rather disconcerting, almost sterile. The view was okay, we thought we would have a view of the ocean from our room. The furniture is actually very patio furniture like (in fairness the accessories were unique and wonderful), they have to be durable because yes, it will rain in your living room (and it makes the concrete slippery).

We arrived in the beginning of rainy season and the bugs were bad - very bad. But my husband never got bitten. Our mosquito net told a story in the morning...I was afraid to do yoga - something about the combo of deet, sweat and bugs - which I had really been looking forward to as part of our trip. Turns out it was cancelled frequently anyway. The lizards are a novelty in the beginning but we grew tired of them all over our kitchen along with other friends with 4 and 8 legs.

Bugs aside...If you're traveling to Hix, here are my suggestions:

Bring books for the daytime, maybe even your computer (I know, I know...) for the DVD player with some movies for the evening.

Split up your time (if you have it) to really experience the different flavors of the island - the areas are very different (Isabella, Bravo Beach, Esperanza) and Hix is somewhat isolated in more of a hilltop area. Good for privacy and solitude, not if you want to be closer to the action (restaurants, beaches, etc...especially at night). There are many beautiful places to stay on the island.

Check out as many restaurants as you can!

Of course I don't want to make it seem horrible. All of the things other writers have mentioned - I loved the oversized nightshirts, they provided books and games and the shower was hot. But for the price you pay it's not a luxury hotel as much as an eco-B & B or camping for architect buffs...

21 Thank bdogmama
, Manager at Hix Island House, responded to this review, July 17, 2006
We're really sorry this reviewer didn't get more of Letty's amazing bread. We do deliver fresh-baked bread everyday -- but only upon request. There's a sign-up sheet to make requests for additional complimentary supplies of eggs, juice, coffee, tea, milk, jellies, cereal, butter and of course, fresh bread. This "you ask, we deliver" system allows our guest maximum privacy and minimal intrusions. We really wish this guest would spoken up - Letty delivers fresh bread with one of the sweetest smiles on the island!

As for yoga, our instructor is usually here seven days a week and even if no one shows up for class, she often does her own practice for an hour or more. She missed two days this month for some dental work but that's the only time we remember her missing class recently so anybody here for a week would have certainly had several opportunities to attend a morning class. We're sorry this reviewer didn't experience class in our outdoor Yoga pavillion. It's one of the best settings for yoga anywhere in the Caribbean and it's often breezy and bug-free.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 18, 2006

I recently stayed with a few friends at the Hix Island House over Memorial Day weekend, and must emphatically say that it was one of the best vacations I have ever had. If you are turned off, as I am, by the crowded, souvenir-shop infested, overpriced, commercial tourist traps that so much of the Caribbean has become, then you will love the unspoiled, natural beauty of this island and the elegant simplicity of this hotel.

It takes about a day to fully appreciate the genius of the inn's architecture; when I first walked into my room I didn't quite get the huge open-air window cutouts and the polished concrete that makes up the countertops, floors, and walls of the buildings. However, the rooms are designed so that the gentle breeze is constant, eliminating the need for air conditioning, and it seemed almost miraculous that concrete could feel so comfortable and rooms so completely open to the outdoors could be so private (because of the way the buildings are situated on the slope.) And nothing feels better than taking an open-air (but totally private) shower. We stayed in a room called the Studio, and it had a nice kitchen stocked with fresh bread, coffee, juice, milk, and everything we needed, so we didn't need to leave our room until we were ready to go exploring. I spent long mornings reading on our terrace, listening to the birds singing and the wild horses neighing.

The beaches were postcard beautiful and nearly deserted, even the public beach with its restrooms and concession (which served surprisingly good food). If you like driving around, there are many dirt roads leading to remote coastal areas. We also had lunch and dinner in the two tiny towns, Isabel Segundo and Esperanza, and the food was excellent wherever we went.

The highlight of the weekend was the nighttime kayaking trip to Mosquito Bay (there were no mosquitos at all), which is said to be the greatest example of "bioluminescence" (millions of tiny organisms that light up when disturbed, or splashed) in the world. It absolutely has to be experienced to be believed. Just kicking in the water makes it light up like a fountain.

Though the setting at Hix Island House is very private, the entire staff is very approachable and works hard to make guests feel comfortable. I would definitely stay there again.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 9, 2006

Because of the virtual zen like ambance and no technology to interrupt you will fall in love with your partner again. You have no choice in the matter. Conversations will abound and sleeping for 12 hours is normal. You will make love more in 4 days than you have in probably 6 months. Oh yeah, the island was great too and the dining were awesome. My favorite was Crows Nest steakhouse.

8 Thank Odette A
Westport, CT
Reviewed April 30, 2006

and I'm not talking about the Zone Diet, which is hopeless with the wonderful homemade bread served each day. I'm refering to unwinding and relaxing to recharge you batteries.
I got to this state in about half a day at Hix Island house, a record on any vacation.
Innkeepers Mike and Dianne made sure we knew where to go, what to do, and where to eat. Their friendly, relaxed attitude will get you the full lowdown on the island and all it has to offer. The thing is.... it's OK if you don't step a foot out of Hix, enjoy the pool, take a walk, lounge out in the tropical setting and feel the gentle breeze of the Carribean.
But what about the BUGS!? It's the tropics and you've got a non-airconditioned room open to the "elements". We'll the breeze took care of the air-conditioning part. It was incredibly rejuvenating not to be in a hotel with the air-conditioning pumping away all night.
The bugs were "on vacation". I don't know if it's the breeze, or the dry season but they didn't pose a problem. I came fully prepared to douse myself with chemicals but in the end the cans of spray stayed on the shelf.
Ok so where's the bad part? I hate reading reviews where people just keep gushing on and on, you know there must be something they're not telling you. We'll first if you rent a vehicle, make sure it's a high clearance "Jeep like" car. A quick shower can turn the roads
into large puddles (if you asked Mike and Dianne they would have told you about this). It's fun if you have a Jeep but not so great if you get stuck in you Neon. Next even if you have a Jeep it's not a great idea to go exploring on a path in the jungle that no one has been down in the last 10 years. It might just... end and then you've got an interesting multi-point turn (speaking from experience). Also the scratches on the vehicle might be a problem when you return it to the rent-a-car place (errr... what scratches?) Last, Mike and Dianne will tell you about all the nice restaurants on the island. It's surprising how many there are.
You should go visit every one of them if you get into your "zone" running or exercising. If you got into you zone lounging then don't be surprised about the extra bagage you're carrying on your way back.
Last, don't miss the bio-bay on a moonless night, it's an out of this world experience!

• Stayed April 2006
11 Thank unwind
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Last month we had our wedding at The Hix House. During that time we spent 7 nights there, and had the whole place rented out for three nights during the wedding so that many of our friends and family (dogs included) could stay there. Having paid a visit on a scoping mission in October ’05 we compared the Hix to both the Inn on the Blue Horizon, and Hacienda Tamarindo. We decided on the Hix because it is the complete package, having stunning views, exceptionally helpful managers in Diane and Michael, and a secluded privacy. As well, offering unique rooms of varied design, which take advantage of being in the tropics by being open walled, with many having outdoor showers. Additionally if your lifestyle makes you an environmentally conscious person, the Hix House is designed with a value system that is ecologically aware making your choice a responsible one as well.

We enjoyed all the Hix had to offer, quite moments with nature, sweeping vistas from many of the rooms, a wonderful pool, and helpful staff that never let any communicated need go unattended.

Based on having experienced all the rooms there I would highly recommend two over all others, “The Studio” and “Loft 1”, both offer the best of the Hix experience.

While there we ate at Chez Shack, which is just a quick walk down the road and worth a repeat visit on a night that is not Bar-b-que night. Zee Foods, an Organic store a little further down the road is also a good place to get prepared meals that you can store in your Fridge at The Hix and have as a mid-day snack during a break from the pool, or take to the beach. A place to avoid is the restaurant at The Inn on the Blue Horizon.

For weddings the setting could not be better. The staff facilitated our every need. Nature provided a perfect backdrop. When we go back I know exactly where we will stay, what else can you say!

• Stayed March 2006
21 Thank Albatross37
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 20, 2006

...and we loved it! Fresh island breezes, the smell of tropical rain, and spectacular sunrises...all without leaving your bed! Lizards on the ceiling, fresh fruit in the kitchen, and great homemede bread every day. Who could ask for more? The architecture is refreshingly simple, yet in perfect balance with it's surroundings. Shower in the sunshine and dry off in the morning breeze. Frogs calling at night, roosters in the morning. It really is the ideal combination of a luxury hotel & camping. The staff is exceptional. They really help make the most of your visit. The pool is paradise. Don't cut your stay short or you'll be sorry!

• Stayed March 2006