“Fabulous Hix Island House”
Review of Hix Island House

Hix Island House
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Fabulous Hix Island House”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

My husband and I had a fabulous stay at Hix Island House. We stayed in Loft 7 (top floor of Retangular) and could not have asked for a better experience. We loved the architecture, the freedom of indoor/outdoor living, the sounds and sites from our loft in all directions and being able to lay out on our deck and look up at the stars at night, just a few feet from our bed. Part of the architecture is designed for "getting away from it all" and having a very different experience that life in the big city. This is exactly the experience we wanted and received.

Hix Island House is not for everyone - it is very private, and there's no pampering (there's a new W hotel on the island for that), no tv, phones, etc. (although cell phones/blackberry's work perfectly). We enjoyed making our own breakfast from the fresh bread, eggs, etc provided each morning and taking a dip in the pool. We didn't take part in the yoga each morning, but it looked inviting for all levels. We felt safe and had enough access to hotel staff during the day hours if needed.

We'd recommend getting your own jeep or four wheel drive to check out beaches all over the island or to be able to go to town for dinner, etc.

Room Tip: Top levels of the buildings have better views!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Aomori, Japan
Reviewed November 18, 2011

Summary: wife and I loved our two nights' stay in Hix House's exquisitely windowless settings; we thoroughly enjoyed the sights and sounds (especially at night) of the attractive, inventive buildings of Hix House and the private hillside landscape which it occupies.

Details: a daytime jaunt in the El Junque rain forest proved to be the perfect bridge between our previous night's stay at a well-coiffed but soulless San Juan resort hotel and two nights in November 2011 in the natural setting of Vieques Island and Hix House. The careful siting of the buildings provides loads of privacy and, quite frankly, it screams for you (for us, anyway) to take off your clothes and relax. I must have used the villa's marvelous outdoor shower three times each day. And when night falls, the symphony of bird cries and insect sounds is exquisite -- ditto for the beautiful sight of moonlight washing over a hillside of tropical trees and plants. I wanted to stay up all night so as not to miss it.

Vieques is a pretty undeveloped place, so action is yours to arrange and provide. Hix House lends out snorkels for the beach, and Joanne (cheerful innkeeper) helpfully brokered slots for us on a Mosquito Bay kayaking tour.

While at Hix House, we enjoyed cooking our own breakfast in the apartment's well-stocked kitchen. The pool is large enough for meaningful exercise or simply to float.

Hix House provides visitors with a naturally beautiful, mellow, and unhurried setting for relaxation and a good base for exploring the low-key attractions which Vieques offers. However, those who seek resort-style action, calendars jammed-packed with recreational events, and chic dining should look elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Andrew1234
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 30, 2011

My family and I stayed at the Hix House in three of their suites for a week. Despite previous arrangements to have all of us located in one building, the management switched my husband and I to a room further down the hill. My brother and sister in law were in a suite that was on the bottom floor- it was dark and kind of dank smelling. My mother in law had the best room by far, with a huge circular open window that looked out into the trees. The pool was nice enough, though a bit chilly despite the hot weather outside. I found the location to be mixed- it was nice to see the wild horses in the open fields, but you have to drive to go anywhere- beaches, meals, grocery store- nothing is within walking distance. The rooms themselves were definately rustic. One night when it rained quite hard and if your things are anywhere near the opening in the "wall" then they got soaked. Also, the coral around Vieques was in really poor condition, due to the US military's previous occupation there. Don't get your hopes up for great snorkeling or diving on Vieques. I hear Culebra is much better in this regard.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the bottom floor of any building. Dark and musty!
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank christne33
New London, Connecticut
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Me and my wife recently stayed in the Studio for 4 nights on our honeymoon. First I'll say that Hix House is not for everyone. There is a primitive, rustic, camping aspect to staying here. The architecture is not to everyone's taste. If you do not like the outdoors. If you don't like wildlife. If you can't survive without a TV or AC, you shouldn't stay here (and you probably shouldn't be going to Vieques.) This hotel (if you can call it that, more of a B&B) is an extremely relaxing and peaceful place to stay. It is so well designed. It makes you feel as if you are in a tree house in the jungle, which I suppose you are. The bed was extremely comfortable, the breezes at night were cool and relaxing. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful in suggesting places to eat, things to see, etc.

I do have a few recommendations for the staff though, and these are the reasons I did not rate the hotel an overwhelming 5.

The age of the buildings is beginning to show a bit. For the most part, everything was very clean, but there is the beginning of dust and dirt in some corners and upper areas of the rooms as well as light fixtures. Basically areas that normally wouldn't be cleaned and after a few years, maybe should be. There were also a few small detail items that I think would have made it a much better stay. Add some citronella candles. For the most part, bugs were never a problem, but having some citronella candles, instead of the normal votives provided, would have helped with adding some extra light without the bugs. Speaking of light, how about changing the lights to LED. This would be much more energy efficient, and also reduce bugs.

Perhaps set up the mosquito net in a different way, something to keep it a bit more open. We only used the net the first two nights. Stopped using it because it was blocking so much of the breeze.

The coffee was horrible! We really appreciate the fresh fruit and fresh bread, eggs, etc. It's so nice to have the stuff to just make your own breakfast, but the coffee beans tasted old and stale. It's Puerto Rico. It should be great coffee. I'd also suggest getting bur grinders for the rooms so the grind on the coffee can be more appropriate for the french press provided in the room. It might also be nice to stock the kitchen with some hot sauce, or a couple of spices.

I think it's the little things that make the difference between an expensive hotel, and an amazing luxury hotel.

The grounds were also a little messy. I appreciate that the staff is still cleaning up from the hurricane, and that things on an island take a different schedule than on the main land. I also appreciate that it's the jungle and that the goal of Hix House is to try and keep things in a natural state, but a little manicuring would be nice. I shouldn't need a machete to get from my room to the pool.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who enjoys the outdoors and wants to get away from everything. If you do go, get a room that's not on the ground floor. It will make your stay much more enjoyable, and be sure to just enjoy the nature.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Barrett S
Reviewed October 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 5 nights for our honeymoon. We couldn't haven picked a better place. A car is nice, but if you're not in a hurry you can hire a "publico" and save some money. Our driver was very informed about the island, each ride a mini history lesson. The staff is absolutely amazing, very friendly. Highly recommended, will be returning in the future.

• Stayed August 2011
Brooklyn
Reviewed October 5, 2011

First before booking know that this is not near the beach and you should have 4 wheel drive to get here but it is well worth the out of the way location. When my friends and I stayed we were the only ones on the property which was fantastic but it did get a bit creepy especially when we found a live tarantula in the pool the first night. You must be OK with bugs to stay here as it is an eco resort with no screens in the windows. That said we had a fabuolous time. The place is beautifully designed, set in a gorgeous tropical jungle environment and the freshly baked warm bread you receive each day is not too bad either. Actually we devoured it and it may have been the best thing we ate all week. This place is extremely unique, it is not a place where they will hand hold and pamper you but if you are an adventurous type that appreciates unique design then by all means you will love this place as much as we did. The units are well stocked with everything you could need including beach reading. The front desk can be a bit unreliable but someone new was there so it may not have been the norm.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the second floor with the roll front gate that opens up the entire room.
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer O
California
Reviewed September 24, 2011

We spent two absolutely wonderful nights at Hix Island House. The room, the whole place actually, was so neat. We loved having it open to the outside, with the breeze blowing in and the lovely views of the Caribbean from the porch. It was also nice to be able to make a yummy breakfast at our leisure and eat in the sunshine while wearing your oh-so-comfy Egyptian cotton shirt. The bed was really comfortable, and the outdoor shower gave gazing up at the stars new meaning. The staff was so friendly and helpful with everything from getting us a ride to town, letting us borrow snorkeling gear, and providing suggestions for a dinner spot. We had a great yoga class in the open-air pavilion. I could barely get myself to fly home.

Tip: a car is good to have since this place is in the country, though we biked pretty easily from here to the beaches and Esperanza.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends