“Attentive Architecture In and For Repose”
Review of Hix Island House

Hix Island House
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed May 10, 2011

My husband and I felt instantly and serenely welcomed and comfortable settling into our sleek but rustic loft at Hix Island House. We were refreshed by John Hix's attentive architecture with his thoughtful environmental intent. Our private veranda for sunbathing and reading, tradewind breezes from unscreened windows, our private outdoor shower with singing birds, Frette linens, the quiet pool, and the daily delivery of fresh baked bread, eggs and fruit utterly relaxed us. Our response to an inquiry in town as to where we were staying was met with "People either love it or hate it there." Well, we loved it! The opposite could only be the case if you were expecting Club Med's bustle and amenities and if you had not researched to find out what Hix House truly is. It is artful, contemporary conscientiousness in and for repose.

Room Tip: Website description and photos
3  Thank hollygraybill
dianeymike, General Manager at Hix Island House, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

Thanks for the kind words. We're glad you loved our hotel, and hope you return soon!

Reviewed April 29, 2011

I am the minority here based on other reviews. I did not think this place was so wonderful. Overall the place is serene and very quiet, which I liked. However, it is just not my type of place, expecially for the price. I should have done more research, but for those who are unsure, here is my experience.

There are no screens on the "windows". I get that not having screens is part of the whole ambiance, however since this place is in the woods there were more bugs and spiders than I ever want to deal with in a hotel room or even my own home.

I was also disappointed with the breakfast. The fruit was not even tropical. There were apples from Washington. If you are going to be eco, wouldn't you try to get fruit that does not travel so far, especially if the hotel is located in a tropical climate?! The cereal was just plan old corn flakes. The bread was okay, but it was not that great.

I also did not like that we were asked to pay for our entire stay upfront. A deposit is one thing, but paying for the entire stay is another. I could have refused, but when you are tired and just want to get somewhere sometimes bad decisions are made. I say this because my husband and I wanted to check out a day early and we were told we would still have to pay for the entire stay. I just complied as I did not feel like having an argument. Although I am almost certain that a hotel cannot charge you for unused services.

Lastly, when I expressed my unhappiness with the place, the manager was a bit condecending. Suggesting I am a novice traveler, of which I am not, and that I should just go to the W hotel if I was unhappy. I did not appericiate his inferences. Let me put it this way, if you like camping, this place is for you. In the end I blame myself for not doing enough research.

15  Thank GiacR
dianeymike, Manager at Hix Island House, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2011

We encourage anyone considering staying with us to review our website. It is meant to be as thorough as possible, explaining everything from the thought behind the design to our hotel policies. After reviewing it, one will soon understand that we are serious about creating an experience that is relaxing, rejuvenating and refreshing, while at the same time being responsible to our surroundings. The Hix Island House is a unique and special hotel. We highly recommend that you and your traveling partner(s) understand where you will be staying.

Reviewed April 25, 2011

I fell in love with Hix Island House before even getting there. My husband and I were the stereotypical harried couple with three kids and two jobs ready to GET AWAY in a serious manner for our 17th anniversary. We stayed in San Juan for two days and couldn't wait to hop on a plane to take us to Vieques.

Hix is unique and recalled several fond memories of places I have stayed as a guest with friends. It is private, nonintrusive and clearly operates on its own peaceful rhythm. It was a rhythm we got in sync with right away. Is it for everyone? No. My husband I and played a game figuring out who we knew who would love it and who couldn't take it. Its concept asks you to let go of lots of preconceptions about what luxury is and what truly constitutes relaxation.

We loved the open air room, the open shower, the privacy of the architecture--the quiet of the place and the respectful quietness of other guests. I felt trusted to come and go and make the experience our own. I knew there was help there if I needed it and I felt that everything we could have wanted was supplied.

It's a wonderfully conceived place that is not overwrought with concept. It is what it is and it doesn't seek to be anything more. My husband I I honestly reconnected--back to the essence of who we were when we first got married. Making breakfast with the eggs that are provided and toast on the grill pan all became a fun part of the process. Even grinding our own coffee and using the French press was fun for us. (Yeah, we reall ydid need ot get away!).

I loved it here. We did yoga our second morning and loved that as well. The pool is lovely, too. A highlight of our whole trip was being invited to cocktails (with all other guests) at John and Neeva's Hix's resplendant house. They could not have been more gracious. We couldn't stop talking about it.

Thanks to everyone for a great stay!

1  Thank lisaboy

We're glad we could create such a rejuvenation environment for you and your husband. Thanks for sharing this wonderful and personal review with us.

Reviewed April 4, 2011

an overall quality experience:
-practical, well designed architecture enhanced the experience.
-staff very accessible, helpful, friendly
-daily yoga a huge perk. wish Maureen was there more. (she's excellent, and a trained instructor)
-housekeeping was consistent and reliable
-wish it was more eco and sustainable with amenities: (stocked food, bath products, detergents used in their laundry, BUT its GREAT to have a basic kitchen to work with. this saved us mucho dinero and you can make do with the limited staples in the grocery stores.
-open air interiors invite more wildlife in: mosquitoes (our net was holey but im sure the staff would have hooked us up with a new one had we said something), roaches, spiders, geckos, beetles and birds.
-this was one of our favorite places weve stayed at. the beaches in culebra are better but staying at hix in vieques is a superlative experience, the kind you don't want to advertise too broadly.
-if you like resorts you should stay at the W. otherwise, this is the place to come for a quality, restful vacation that truly feels like one.

2  Thank travelerXYZ_1234
Reviewed April 2, 2011

I can't say enough good things about Hix Island House. I traveled there on my own in search of respite from my hectic life in NYC and found exactly what I was looking for. The setting is magnificent. My loft opened up to a view of the surrounding hills with the Caribbean Sea in the distance. Though it was hot and humid, the constant breeze kept the room perfectly comfortable and the ceiling fan helped as well. After gazing at stars at night, I was lulled to sleep by the sounds of frogs, crickets and an occasional horse braying! The mosquito net provided enough protection against unwanted visitors until I was awakened by the sunrise the next morning. Oh, and the outside shower was delightful!

Every member of the staff I encountered was laid back, helpful and friendly. They were quick to respond to any request or inquiry I made, but were also happy to just sit back and let me enjoy the place in peace and quiet. My loft was tidied up each day when I returned from the beach and my kitchen was restocked with fruit, tea, coffee, juice and freshly baked bread. I found it difficult to locate good food on Vieques, but was easily able to subsist on the food they provided and a few things I picked up in town.

All in all, I can't recommend this place highly enough. If you're looking for a fast paced, exciting vacation destination, this is not it. If, however, you want to relax, unplug and rejuvenate, Hix Island House will be a dream come true.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank aes915
Reviewed March 25, 2011

This truly a special place, loved all of it. Lush grounds, fruit trees, hammocks, views and chlorine free pool. Yoga was lovely outside but she could change it up a bit. Building néw 2 bedroom units.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 11, 2011

First time to Vieques. Traveled with my husband and another couple ( who stayed in a loft next door to us). Was a little apprehensive to stay here knowing that the room was opened to the outside. Definitely worth the experience..... Loved it so much would go back in a heartbeat! Delicious homemade fresh bread replenished daily with fruit, coffee/tea, cereal,milk, and juice stocked in the refridgerator. All the amenties of home with the exception of the t.v. radio, and computer ( I think wi fi is availabe if you wanted access- fyi didn't miss it at all) Extremely quiet and peaceful but only 10 minutes to downtown area if you want places to eat,shop or experience some nightlife. The beaches are unbelievable. Many of the beaches have so few people you feel like you are the only one there! We rented a car and you definitely need one to get around the Island. The food was absolutely amazing however cost more than expected/budgeted. We had planned to eat cheaply for lunch at the Sol Food truck ( which had great reviews). Unfortunately they were closed the days we were in Vieques so we traveled back to town for lunch.. When we return, our plan is to get some food at the grocery store and stock the fridge with lunch items. Great trip/ great experience- One of the best places we've traveled to and will definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
Club Seabourne
Club Seabourne
#1 of 4 in Culebra

Been to Hix Island House? Share your experiences!