“I wish I was there now”

Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Baltimore, MD
“I wish I was there now”
Reviewed March 3, 2009

We had a great experience at The Inn on the Blue Horizon. It's in a beautiful location, great if you want a quiet, television and technology free retreat, the staff helpful and friendly. I am puzzled by the negative comments here - not consistent with my experience.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
nyc
Reviewed February 2, 2009

Although this is a place with potential we felt ripped off. We were looking for a top of the line experience and paid for it but the place did not deliver. The place is lacking in cleanliness, ammenities, and service.
The property has good 'bones' but it's in need of an all around old fashioned scrubbing, painting, and upkeep. Upholstery has holes, walls are scuffed, everything looks dusty. There's tall grass all around the property.
It seems that the very friendly Yolanda is the only person on staff.
There was no food or drink to be had througout the day. If you want a beer, you have to walk accross the property to the little store just accross the road.
No ammenities expected from a place that bills itself as an upscale experience. Only highlight is the amazing view and the beautiful infinity pool (minus the aluminum debris left on the side.)
If this place wants to be charging over $300 for a room, it needs to step up its game. Otherwise they're just ripping people off.

• Liked — The views, infinity pool
  • Disliked — Price/Value ratio
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank marinyc
nyc
Reviewed January 7, 2009

This place has a lot of "raw" potential but it really lacks in over all quality. It must be the only game in town because I don’t get why anyone would stay here for the price.

My wife and I and another couple spent a Saturday night at the hotel. We arrived at around noon and were greeted at the front desk by a very sweet Puerto Rican lady. We were told our rooms were not ready so we decided to go to town for lunch. We happened upon Bananas. PLEASE DO NOT EAT HERE! The food was so awful (think bad airport food) and the service from the snotty American girls, working there, wasn’t much better. After we ate our nasty lunch we went back to the hotel and got the key to our room in the "main house". Our room was dated and in state of disrepair. There were holes in the window screens (BIG PR BUGS), the shower was grungy and the walls could use a fresh coat of paint. I am not suggesting that I needed to scan the place with an ultraviolet light but I wasn't too impressed with the cleanliness. We changed into our swim suits and got out of the room as fast as we could. The infinity pool is the high light of the resort. It is very clean, well laid out, and has a great ocean view. On the other hand, the beach is awful. You must walk down cliff to get to a rocky beach (you can’t swim there). So don't expect a nice beach! Finally, the thing that amazed me the most about the Inn was that there was ZERO service here. The bar doesn’t open until 5PM. Maybe I am a lush, but I would have loved to have had a Pina Colada while I relaxing by the pool. I went across the street for a bag of Doritos and a 12 pack of Medalla Light beer and chilled it in the cooler provided by the Inn. My wife was overjoyed by this romantic gesture. You are on your own if you need anything else. Good luck finding someone that works there because I think the day staff consists of the said lady at the front desk and a groundskeeper! I didn’t even think of eating dinner or breakfast there so I can't comment. Overall, I would give this place a C minus.

It is obvious that the owner of the Inn puts the bare minimum into this place. It could use some serious TLC and perhaps some additional staff. I could have stayed a night at the Ritz in San Juan for what I paid for this B&BYOB.

PROS: Views, Infinity Pool, and mini cooler provided for BYOB.
CONS: Rooms, Beach and Service.

* For those non-Yanks BYOB is an American acronym for Bring Your Own Booze.

• Liked — Infinity Pool
  • Disliked — Rooms & Service
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mickbcm
Pullman, WA
Reviewed December 17, 2008

After reading some other reviews that have been posted I'm baffled to hear anything but great compliments for this place. The Staff went above and beyond what i felt was necessary, One day when there was a confusion on our car rental (not their fault) and the taxis were on holiday. The office staff called her own family to to escort us. Her husband and teen age son spent the day chauffeuring us around the island (for a small fee) and waiting on us as if we were their guests. I felt that this was extremely beyond the typical standards of customer service.
The food I will say is a little pricey, and the kitchen seems to do things on their own time scale but the food was good and when we figure, when on vacation why be in a hurry?
The Pool and the grounds were amazing and we spent hours and many roles of film trying to capture the beauty of that place. While swimming in the pool it was not uncommon for the wild horses the come within a stones throw while grazing. We loved loved loved the salt water pool!
There seems to be a homey comfortable appeal and the staff treats you as family, I developed a sever rash from the ocean and sand and the woman bought me some medication creme and checked in on me through out the week to see that i was comfortable, it was greatly appreciated.
This may not however be the place for very young children, as it seems to appeal more to an older crowd. There is a very relaxed almost sedated feeling to the place that makes you not want to think of any of your worries that you left at home.
Upon visiting a few of the islands other hotels, and talking with other vacationers who came to the Inn on the blue horizon this is by far the best place on the island and I would have been disappointed if i stayed anywhere else looking back.

• Liked — The Pool and staff
  • Disliked — pretty isolated
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelinLoveBirds
Humacao, PR
Reviewed December 12, 2008

Inn on the Blue Horizon is a unique retreat from everyday life. Just don't expect any service. Upon check in, we had to walk about 200 yards through grass to get to our room. No problem except my fiance fell. No big deal but it would have helped if the young check in clerk had helped with the bags. We survived and decided to check out the Biobay. The Biobay is a must see. We returned at 9pm by way of a taxi. I went to the Carambola bar and they were just closing. The staff never apologized, just avoided eye contact and promptly left. We were lucky a pizza place delivered. The next day the staff gave us a free breakfast. All in all the staff tried to be nice but you can tell it is just a job. They are not dedicated to the place and it shows. But if you are looking to be alone in a beautiful place, this will work. Excellent grounds. See pictures.

• Liked — No TV. Great views
  • Disliked — No service. No rfrigerator. No means to cook. You need to travel for everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank faustin118
Philadelphia
Reviewed November 18, 2008

This was our second trip to Veiques and our first stay at the Inn on the Blue Horizon. I must say that the room was clean, the grounds gorgeous and the pool spectacular. This was not enough however to make up with issues we experienced at the outset.

First of all we booked for 6 nights at the Blue Horizon because of a special we found for 10% off a stay of 5 nights or more which was offered on a Veiques travel site. I mentioned this when booking and all was okay until we arrived and they refused to give us the offer. We were told it was only available during the winter even though the coupon stated nothing of the kind.

Next, the website lists a variety of entertainment at the Inn including a DJ, Salsa, volleyball and more. Nothing of the kind took place while we were there.

Third, the food is excellent but the service is SLOW even by Caribbean standards. One morning we gave up on breakfast after waiting 45 minutes and our coffee had still not been brought. There where only 2 other tables taken in the dining room so it was not a busy day.

Last, it seemed like this was a gay resort and someone didn't clue us in. My fiancé and I were certainly in the minority as a straight couple. I am not joking when I say that everyone there with the exception of one other couple with a small child was gay. So it was definitely not a child friendly place and we felt uncomfortable.

All considered we will visit Veiques again, but definitely stay somewhere else.

• Liked — The View, The Pool and the Food (when it came!)
  • Disliked — Staff, slow service, no nightlife or entertainment
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed October 27, 2008

We arrived at the Inn after a long day of travel, a boat, two planes and a taxi ride. Yolanda, the bright spot of our entire stay there, greeted us and took us to our room. First of all they do not turn the A/C on prior to guests' arrival so the room was very hot. After about 15 minutes of warmish air coming out we realized it was not working. Also, the safe combination did not work and there was no key for the safe lock.

My husband took up the issues with them. Yolanda agreed that the A/C was not working and admitted that she did not have a key to the safe. This seemed important since we had passports and cash that we did not want to have to take with us at all times and there are warnings of petty theft on the island. So after much ado, she moved us to another room for the night. We were able to stay there one night and she did get the A/C fixed the next day. She had a new lock installed on the safe but it did not work. My husband finally convinced the business manager that if he had a file he could make the lock work. She finally gave him one and he worked on the lock until it worked.

The grounds are in bad need of upkeep. There was very tall (as high as your head in some places) grass all over. Our room was nice enough. Towels were scarce (only two per room per day). The ceiling fans had dust about 1/2 " thick on the blades. There is no refrigerator in the room which is a little inconvenient if you want to keep your own water and drinks there. The Fiji water that they put in the room is $7 a bottle so that wasn't really an option.

The breakfast at the restaurant was good and reasonably priced (oatmeal was outstanding). The dinner, however, was another story. The menu is very limited and extremely overpriced in my opinion. We ordered salad and a fish and they didn't have anything to make a salad. They did comp us an appetizer, though. We only ate the one meal as there are several good restaurants in Esperanza. Duffy's is very good. The Tradewinds has the best views in town and excellent food. There are several local burger joints on the main street as well.

Yolanda arranged our not-to-be-missed Bio Bay tour and arranged for a rental car. The beaches are beautiful and remote. The snorkeling is best at Blue beach but only if you are experienced and a good swimmer. Stay on the right side of the island and do not go around the end of the island to swim completely around. You will regret it (too shallow, lots of coral and spiny sea urchins).

The Blue Horizon was not a bad experience (once we had A/C) but I was disappointed in the upkeep of the place. They need to update it and clean up the grounds a bit.

• Liked — Friendly and helpful front desk staff and breakfast wait staff
  • Disliked — Grounds in need of upkeep
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Club Seabourne
Club Seabourne
#1 of 4 in Culebra

Been to Blue Horizon Boutique Resort? Share your experiences!