“Wonderful Guesthouse, Great Staff and Restaurant”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
Trade Winds Guesthouse
Ranked #15 of 28 Isla de Vieques B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 5, 2012

We have been going to the Island of Vieques for over 12 years and I highly reccomend Tradewinds. It is a small guesthouse with the best restaurant/bar on the Esperanza tourist strip. The staff is friendly and very helpful. The rooms are nicely decorated but are not luxury type rooms. They are classic guesthouse type rooms on the tourist strip of Esperanza. The Bar and Restaurant have the best ocean views and you cannot find a better classic guesthouse. There are several rooms with patios and balconies but all rooms sit behind the restaurant and bar which has the ocean view seating. We always stay at Tradewinds and the breakfast and evening drinks are the best. If you are looking for a simple, friendly and great place to stay at a reasonable price, you will be delighted with Tradewinds. (If you are looking for luxury, room service, and 5 star accomodations --- this is not the place for you- however, for those world travelers that make their own foot prints on the sands of least often traveled places- you will love this place. (Also, the owners Harry & Janet are grandparents and they will help you with options and activities for the kids)

Room Tip: Ask for room with ground floor patio.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed January 30, 2012

If you want granite and glitz, this isn't your place. If you are all about location, are onk with a basic place spruced up with art drawn on the walls, and being on the quiet side of Esperanza, across from the ocean and beach (albeit not the beach you would spend hours in) this is the place for you.

Great for kids too and one night stays for trips to the BIOBAY. Few places will let you do a short term like this.

Amazing restaurant too, with waterfront views.

Room Tip: If you have kids, try getting a room near the restaurant so your baby monitor can be turned on while...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I first stayed at TradeWinds MANY years ago after spending a horrendous night elsewhere on the island. Got up in the morning and looked elsewhere, ending up at TradeWinds, where the lackadaisical summer staff put us up.

If you're expecting pampered luxury, this is not the place for you. If you enjoy camping out, as I do, TradeWinds may seem like luxury. The rooms are a very comfortable step up from camping out. Don't expect TVs, phones, or luxury bathrooms. DO expect clean rooms and good AC. That's what you'll get. You might get the odd bug (this IS the tropics, and they're right outside).

My first experience at TradeWinds was good enough that I have revisited the place 6 or 7 times since, and I have enjoyed it every time, especially the service from the owners (Harry and Janet) and the regulars.

I understand that staffing the place in the off-season is a problem. That's true everywhere. I have been to several out-of-the-way places in the Caribbean off-season, and you will find restaurants closed and guest houses staffed by temporary ex-pats without much in the way of hospitality skills. This has been less of a problem at TradeWinds than elsewhere.

The rooms are very comfortable--if just to sleep in--and their breakfasts are a great way to start the day. Equally good marks for the restaurant and bar.

I have enjoyed every stay at Tradewinds and I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2012

This is a very, very basic room. We had 2 rooms. One room didn't have an outlet. Both rooms didn't have a tv, no phone, no hairdryer. The closet is open to the bed area. The air conditioning did work. We slept on the ground level and for me seeing the geiko crawling up the outside wall was scary. It didn't come in the room but I was scared because there was a small opening in our door. The rooms were clean, the bed was terribly hard and uncomfortable. It was a place to sleep but there was a loud disturbance at night from a drunk hotel guest that woke everyone in the hotel up. The check out process the staff was very rude and not helpful.

Room Tip: Don't stay and that will be your best room. Or choose the room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2012

This is a very simple, basic place. Our room was clean; the beds were semi-comfortable (until my foam mattress slipped off the platform in the middle of the night). It was, essentially, a place to sleep. That is, except for the extraordinarily loud street noise the first night we were there; it was a holiday, and there was very loud bar music, combined with cars cruising back and forth with their stereos (bass) at full volume, until late at night. But the second night wasn't as loud.

The outside courtyard is a nice place to sit--much better than in the room. The complimentary breakfast is good.

It looks as though three or four older women run this hotel. A couple of them are pretty nice and friendly, although one is not friendly or personable at all; when I talked to her, I always felt that she was kind of pissed off at me just for being there.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2012

We stayed at Tradewinds a few years ago, and we liked it enough to re-book there upon a return trip to Vieques. Unfortunately, Tradewinds is not as pleasant today as I remember a few years back, and the management doesn't appear to be putting much effort into the place. It wasn't horrible, but I believe you can find better accommodations in Esperanza at a similar price.

The good parts about Tradewinds are the location and price. These are still true, and many reviewers here have commented on them.

The unpleasant parts include the following:
1. Unhelpful staff, sometimes to the point of extreme rudeness. This is not universally true, and we had some very positive experiences with a couple of staff in both the office and restaurant. We had a couple of very negative experiences with office staff, including an extended issue at checkout making it difficult for us to catch our transportation off the island. There are a number of reviews here noting similar problems. Overall, I would say about half my contacts with staff were characterized by rudeness or mildly hostile indifference. This doesn't ruin a stay, but it certainly colors the experience and is unnecessary.

2. Poor maintenance. Our bathroom included a poorly-draining shower and noisily-leaking faucet. Given issues noted with staff, we didn't bother trying to get these corrected, so perhaps they might have been... but I was skeptical. The room wasn't dirty, but it wasn't particularly clean either.

3. Opaque policies on rooms. We had previously stayed in the lower level, whose rooms are very dark. I booked early and asked about a room on a higher level, and I was told those were not available to short-term guests. In talking with other guests there, this turned out not to be true.

My feelings on the restaurant are neutral. We had a nice meal there one night, and we were treated pretty well. Service was also remarkably slow (other tables were quite agitated), and staff didn't do much to mollify upset customers. It wasn't one of our favorite meals on Vieques by any stretch, and the prices are not particularly cheap.

Tradewinds has the air of a place that can get by because it's in a great location and doesn't have to try too hard. Well, Esperanza is fantastic; and Tradewinds has a great spot on the Malecon. But there are equally inexpensive places in town that seem to do a much better job in welcoming guests and providing well-maintained lodging. I wouldn't tell someone to avoid Tradewinds, but I would definitely recommend shopping around.

Room Tip: Our room, on the lowest level, was dark and cave-like, with noise from the restaurant kitchen. This...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ElCachorro
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is an island / family run place from way back. And you feel 'way back' when you sit at bar waiting for someone in a Panama Hat to come in and ask about tea time. You feel like you are in a movie.

The food is good, the people real (which means if they have been hassled that night you will know it lol) and the setting is pretty darn nice.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo