“Beautiful Property - Inconsistant Service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Retreat & Spa Vieques

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Brooklyn, New York
“Beautiful Property - Inconsistant Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014

The W Vieques has been around for a number of years and the property was formerly a Wyndham. W has done a great job of updating. The rooms are lovely though the darker gray tile is a bit off for a tropical location. That said, the W fun furnishings are all there and the public spaces are great. Beautiful location. Lovely pool (a few too many kids for our taste but that was likely the time of year) Food was uniformly good and typically over-priced as is the case at most resorts. Ok, a few quibbles. Not big things, but in season at the prices they charge these should not be... 1) The staff was widely inconsistent. Some were great and very helpful, others not as much. All were nice just a bit distracted though the hostess argued with me about seating us by the water view because the other waiter's station had no people - needless to say that did not fly with me ; 2) why offer turn down that does nothing but put a piece of inexpensive chocolate on a your pillow - what about new towels, water, a room freshen up? 3) Speaking of water...we had to ask for the free water every day and the housekeeping staff had no power to bring. Needed to call the front desk, really? 4) One set of windows in unit was filthy - behind curtains but you wanted to open and see out - we are on the beach. Again, all small things on an otherwise beautiful property.

Room Tip: We choose a suite with a partial water view. Next time i'd get a full water view away from the p...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Welcome

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us in such detail.
We are very happy to learn your experience overall was so wonderful.

I also appreciate you bringing to our attention our areas of opportunity. Sorry to read your expectations were not met in certain areas. I will ensure we look into the details you mention, as we strive to constantly craft unforgettable experiences for our guests.

I sincerely hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and make your stay one that really represents the values that we as the team at the W Vieques stand for.

W Vieques

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

We spent a very relaxing and enjoyable couple of nights at the W and highly recommend it to get away from it all! Wild horses everywhere! It was very worthwhile renting a jeep for the day the cost about $85 drove to many private beaches around the small island. The food and drinks a the W and also elsewhere was amazing. We will definitely be going back. We spent the first couple of nights in PR at El Convento in Old San Juan then after our couple of nights we spent at the W we went on to the St. Regis. A perfect holiday for all of us!

Room Tip: Oceanfront thats all they offer
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank babybrn
Good day,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback with us!
I am thrilled to read your experience was so wonderful.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

We were at the W for 7 days in early April and it was a wonderful experience. There are two packs of wild horses that roam the property and it is quite an extraordinary experience. They were gentle and friendly and you could pet them and take pictures with them. One day they even hung out at the pool with their little baby in tow.

The pool area is beautiful and has plenty of lounge chairs so there is not need to rush there early like at some other resorts.

the food on the other hand is over priced and only OK. You would do better trying some of the other area restaurants.

The setting of the resort is beautiful with two private beaches - one that is kid free which is nice.

I would highly recommend this place if you are willing to pay the price. But - you get what you pay for

Room Tip: Make sure you are not too far from the pool and lobby/restaurant areas. There are some rooms that a...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Phoogz
Good day,

I am thrilled to read you had a wonderful time. Our purpose as a team is certainly to provide the most memorable experiences to our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

The W is by far the nicest hotel/resort on the island and arguably the one with the best restaurants, as such, it is also the most expensive. We stayed at the W for 8 days and became very familiar with the property, employees, and island. If you explore the rest of Vieques, which I recommend you do, you will find that the beaches don't seem to be maintained well and often find trash and debris everywhere. The nice thing about the W is that the property, especially the beaches, are well maintained so as far as having the nicest, cleanest beaches - the W definitely wins hands down. They have 2 beaches for guests, one of which is an adult beach, the other a family beach. The family beach has some rough volcanic type stone at all along the shoreline, so if you plan on using this beach often, I would bring some kind of water shoe/sandal (regular flip-flops won't cut it).

Pro: The restaurants and food is good. Con: the selection is limited and some prices seem higher than the food is worth. Tip: If eating at Sorace ask for Nenan, he is awesome and knows every aspect of the island - he'll point you towards some great activities and beaches that you won't find on the map.

Pro: The property is, overall, fairly well-maintained. Con: there is an abundance of staff that seem to have little to do so everyone, and I mean everyone, spends a good chunk of their days with their cell phones in hand. The worst culprits are the 2-3 found men who handle landscape design. If they are outside working, know that they will spend 75% of that time with their phones in their hands and are NOT watching out for you. I had to jump out of their way numerous times to avoid being slammed into or run over with their golf cart. While walking over by the spa, I almost had a heart attack when I heard a noise, looked over, and saw one of the gardeners hiding amounts the trees, smoking and texting away on his phone. So just know this and keep an eye out for them since they are not paying attention and keeping an eye out for you.

TIPS:
1) Stop by one of the 2 grocery stores on the island and stock up on some water, soda, and juices. You will spend $5 for a single bottle of water or soda can at the resort, which quickly adds up if you are there for several days.
2) If staying more than 4 days, rent a jeep, and explore the island. As nice as the W is, there's not much to do. You can even borrow snorkels, fins, etc from the hotel and throw them in the car with you to use as you explore.
3) Ricky, one of the W ambassadors, is incredible. Find him and talk to him if you're planning on leaving the resort. He's a wealth of awesome knowledge.

6 Thank CMS101
Good day,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your detailed feedback with us.

I am thrilled to read your expectations were exceeded and you enjoyed your time while with us.
Thank you for also pointing out the areas of opportunity, I will make sure to look into them as we constantly strive to provide the most memorable experiences to our guests.

Great Falls, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

This destination was truly paradise. In particular, Edgardo Rosario, at the front desk was very helpful. In addition, when you get to the spectacular pool, ask for Liani; see was so attentive. She walked , every day, to the far end of the beach just to check on us.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Neil G
Good day,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback with us.
I am thrilled to read your expectations were exceeded. Our purpose as a team is certainly to play a crucial role in the creation of an unforgettable experience for our guests. I will make sure to pass along your kudos to Edgardo who will be delighted to learn about his valuable contribution to amplifying your experience.

Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

We are Gold Level SPG members who planned a weeklong vacation to Puerto Rico. Never having been there before, we wanted to see as much of it as we could in the week. So we started out with two nights at a Sheraton in San Juan, then three at this "W" on Vieques, then the final two nights at the St. Regis Bahia Resort back on the "big island". In spite of our long relationship with Starwood, we'd not before stayed at a "W". And, frankly, did not really know what to expect. I knew the level of service would be high. And assumed the amenities would be good. But had no idea that W's might be "trendy" and aim for an age group that is significantly younger than we (mid '60's). Not that that was a problem. I don't at all mind looking at young women in swim suits!

I can say that had I not found a Starwood property on Vieques, we likely would not have planned to spend any time there. So I'm glad we did.

Our room number was 1521 or 1522 (for sure on the second floor of that building). When we first got there, we thought we may have been upgraded due to the Gold status. Because the room was quite large and very comfortable. But a conversation later with the front desk assured me the only upgrade we may have received would have been to be on the second floor. It was a little bit of a walk from the room to the beach, lobby, car rental, café, etc. but we were much happier there than to have been pool side with all the music and accompanying noise. On the other hand, the ocean front rooms on the other side of the lobby were probably very quiet and had the benefit of being ocean front. It would have been nice to have the Gold Status recognized with a room there but perhaps there were no upgrades available. Even though I had been told prior to arrival that the hotel was not full.

This hotel is not near anything. You need a car or a taxi to get anywhere or see anything. All the rental cars we saw were Jeeps. It cost $90.95 a day to rent them. There are certainly places on the island where one would be necessary and we did get to some. But the rest of our stay we took taxis. Typically $10 one way to most places.

The front desk, bellmen, and valet (such as it was) were great. All friendly and helpful. We drove to Caracas (Red) Beach at the suggestion of a couple of the guys. We were there Memorial Day so there were a lot of families and locals enjoying the weather. Not a lot of amenities there so be prepared to take whatever you need.

The beach at the hotel is great. Lots of equipment to play volleyball, surfboard, kayak, snorkel, etc. The booth manned by Blackbeard gives out towels and advice. Billy, a former military contractor, is friendly and outgoing. He and I spoke for a bit one day about how he got there and his plans for his future. Good luck, Billy!

I used the services of Yaritza Colon, the young woman at the Concierge Desk, several times. She was very pleasant, helpful, and efficient. She made a couple dinner reservations for us, gave us suggestions about where to drive to see the island, and was, in general, a nice addition to our experience. I promised her I would speak well of her and here it is!

I do have some minor "negatives": It took longer than I think good service allows to get email replies from the hotel. I had made contact well in advance trying to find answers about transportation to the hotel once on the island, about rental car availability, restaurants, etc. When it did come, it was friendly and trying to be helpful. But it was not as good as it probably should be.

I was surprised not to find coffee makers in the room. I was told we could rent one for $45 for the short stay but none were available. Seems to me if you aren't going to supply the room with one, the least you could do is have enough on hand for me to rent one. (After all, this is a Category Six property!) Having to walk to the lobby only to find out the pot was out (WELL BEFORE 10:00 A.M) was not the way I like to start my day.

Because we flew in First Class (from the US), we did not limit our luggage. We each had two large bags at no charge. Plus two carry on items. But the flight to Vieques is a different matter. While Hiram did tell us the hotel does not recommend travel by ferry, he did not tell us that "additional bags"--meaning more than one per person--would be charged at $40 each direction each bag on Cape Air. That would have added $320 to the rt fare. For a total fare for two of close to $800! Nor was travel on Flamenco Air mentioned. As it was, we took the ferry over (cheap but quite the experience) and Flamenco Air back to Ceiba. Flying from Ceiba is by far a better deal that failed to get mentioned by the staff at the "W". Especially when they knew I was going to have a rental car on the big island. (Which meant they should have known I could have driven to Ceiba and flown Flamenco Air for a LOT less than Cape Air)

All in all, a nice property with a nice beach, good rooms, and good overall service. Is it worth all the trouble to get there? Once, perhaps. Just to see the island and to see what's there. Would I go back. Not a chance. Especially after having an oceanfront room at the St Regis!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms are noisy. The rooms in the fourplexs are a short walk away from all the action.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank wayne w
Good day,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback with us with such a detailed review.

I am thrilled to read your expectations were exceeded. Our purpose as a team is certainly to play a crucial role in the creation of an unforgettable experience for our guests. I will make sure to pass along your kudos to Yaritza, she will be delighted to learn about her valuable contribution to your experience.

Greg White - GM
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2014

Love it, love it!! Celebrated our anniversary at the W Vieques and had a wonderful experience. Everything was extraordinary from the flight to Vieques in a tiny little plane to the room, customer service and facilities.

As clarification, there is no W Lounge in San Juan, our travel agent was under that impression but the only airport where there is a lounge is in Vieues.

Originally had an upgrade to an ocean view room, upon check-in they upgraded us to a suite. The room was like a condo with a full living/dining room, kitchenette, half bath, king size bed, gorgeous bathroom, walk-in closet and patio. Can't wait to come back!

The restaurant is very good! We had lunch, dinner, room service, drinks by the pool and all of it was great. The empanadas were especially good... Yum! Just remember that you will be paying W prices. The hotel grounds are kept immaculate, the staff is friendly and helpful. There is a small pool hidden in the back of the hotel that at night looks like a dark sky with stars! So romantic!! Fresh coffee is offered every morning by the reception and a complimentary drink in the evening.

We rented a Jeep to drive around the island. $100 for 24 hours was perfect. We started at 11 am by visiting the main town for lunch and then drove from beach to beach snorkeling around! So much fun!! Then went out to dinner that night and took the jeep out the next day for some shopping. 24 hours was more than enough!

I highly recommend the island of Vieques if you are looking for a remote place to disconnect from the world, enjoy nature, the ocean and good company!

5 Thank NatMIA
Good day,

Let me start by congratulating you on your anniversary.
We feel honored you chose the W Vieques as the venue to celebrate such a special occasion.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!!

Greg White - GM W VIeques
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 46 in San Juan
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,613 reviews

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!