W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
El Blok Hotel(Esperanza)
$162
  • Breakfast included
Villa Coral Guesthouse(Isla de Vieques)(Great Value!)
$89
Casa de Tortuga(Isla de Vieques)(Great Value!)
$120
$105
Malecon House(Isla de Vieques)
$178
Hacienda Tamarindo(Isla de Vieques)
$167
SeaGate Hotel(Isla de Vieques)(Great Value!)
$101
Acacia Guesthouse(Isla de Vieques)(Great Value!)
$77
Esperanza Inn(Isla de Vieques)(Great Value!)
$105
$98
Tropical Guest House(Isla de Vieques)(Great Value!)
$80
Hotels.com
The Vieques Guesthouse(Esperanza)(Great Value!)
$85
1,844 results
All reviewsresort feeairport loungefire pitbeautiful resortadult beachwhisper beachpool barwet bartennis courtsliving room barmain restaurantunderwater musicsan juanfamily beachblackbeard sportsoceanfront roomthe general manager
Reviewed February 21, 2014

Let me start by saying that the hotel grounds are beautiful. But that's it...

My boyfriend and I traveled to Vieques to attend a wedding & we stayed for a total of six nights.

We arrived several days prior to the wedding to relax and spend time with my friends that had flown in from NYC.

Issue #1 - I came to the hotel with $250 in cash specifically earmarked to give to the bride and groom as a wedding gift. On the day of the wedding, when I went to get the cash (that was inside of a pocket in my handbag) there was only $80 in my bag. Mind you, I had left my bag in the room the entire trip because I opted to walk around the resort with a wristlet instead. Of course I freaked out and my boyfriend suggested I wait to report it on the chance that I may have forgotten the money at home and he didn't want anyone to get in trouble unnecessarily. I agreed I would wait, although I knew for a fact that I brought the money with me.

Issue #2 - When I travel to Miami or the Caribbean, I get eaten alive by mosquitos. So of course, I was not surprised that I had several bites the first day. However, the bites continued and every morning I would wake up with more and more bug bites. I thought it was a little strange that I would wake up with more than I went to bed with but I brushed it off as I didn't want to assume the worst. I started to notice that many of the bites I had were different than the mosquito bites I usually get. When I get mosquito bites, they tend to swell, get hard, and very hot & red. These were very small, close together & itchy. When I finally got back home (to Chicago) I woke up and I had a new bug bite! That's when I decided to pay a visit to my Dr. immediately and she told me that my bites were consistent with bed bugs. YUCK!

Issue #3 - I called to report this issue to a manager and explained my issues to the woman who answered the phone (she never asked for my name or room number) and told me to contact the GM. She then transferred me to his Executive Assistants' voicemail at which point I left a message.
I did not receive a call back.

I called again a day or two later, explained my situation to a different girl and she transferred me to voicemail and gave me the GM's email. Again, did not ask my name or room number. I told both of the girls that I spoke to that my Dr. said I had bed bug bites on my body. I would think they'd be concerned about the room I was staying in to disinfect & fumigate...

7 days after my initial complaint, I was contacted by the Director of Security. He called regarding the stolen money, and had no knowledge of the bed bugs but said he would look into it when I asked him who I should contact. After our initial conversation, it took him another week to get back to me via email and of course they denied any evidence of bed bugs and indicated that they were still investigating the theft. We exchanged several emails until one day he stopped communicating with me, approximately one month after my visit, with no resolution regarding the stolen cash.

All in all, this entire situation was handled so poorly that it has caused me to not want to return to the W in Vieques, or any other W property for that matter.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Krys926
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. I appreciate you enjoyed the grounds of the retreat, they are indeed beautiful and one of the many reasons we have so many guests returning to the property.
I have though paid particular attention to both serious situations mentioned in your review which are extremely concerning and by no means representative of our levels of service. Both security and hygiene in our facilities are top priorities for myself and my team; and my team follows very rigorous guidelines to address both areas. It would be of the utmost importance we have the opportunity to clarify the matters, if possible with a personal contact. If you were so kind to revert to my email to gm.wvieques@whotels.com I would like to personally gather additional information and address this situation immediately.

Best Wishes,
Greg White - General Manager

Reviewed February 21, 2014

My wife and I visit Isla de Vieques on 30 January, 2014 and returned to Isla de Puerto Rico on 01 February, 2014. What I liked was the resort was so quiet. No man-man noise (booming hip-hop, rap, or pop). The only music was Latin from my favorite musician Eddie Palmieri, Willie Colon, Johnny Colon, Freddie Pacheco and many others played so low that one might think the music was part of the natural environment. Another thing I liked was at night there is a frog that comes out at night, I think called the Goki, named after the sound it make,which is GO - KEE. You start to hear them at sunset one by one until there is thousand singing this chorus of GO - KEE and you would think they are night birds instead of frogs. The chorus is incredible. You have to hear this in order to appreciate what I am talking about. The staff where helpful and accommodating. The beaches, the pool, and the wild horses roaming about the retreat made it very special and romantic. This was the best and most wonderful Christmas gift from our kids that was unexpected and truly full of adventure. I love them more than they will ever know and We Thanked them.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful review with us! We are excited to read that you appreciated the natural grounds that surround the retreat, especially the signature 'coqui' frogs, so iconic to Puerto Rico. It is great to learn you had the opportunity to relax and truly 'retreat' and we certainly hope to welcome you back soon!

Greg White - GM W Vieques

Reviewed February 21, 2014

This was our 3rd visit to the W in less than a year. We booked our trip several months ago with a promotion that included a rental car, picnic lunch and beach chairs. One week before our trip, the W calls to say they don't have a rental car of us. Really? Vieques is a beautiful island with breathtaking beaches and wonderful restaurants - YOU NEED A CAR. We expressed our dissatisfaction to the manager who said she'd give us a $100 credit. Again... really? Like that would have made a difference. Luckily we had met a few locals on our previous visits and were able to rent a jeep from a friend of a friend of a friend so our trip wasn't ruined. Not that the W cared. While the property is beautiful, the food is average and expensive. Don't bother with breakfast because it will waste 1-2 hours of suntime and cost an arm and a leg. Simply buy a yogurt in the café and grab a free coffee in the lobby and go explore the island! The beds in the rooms are very comfortable and the rooms smell refreshing. We stayed in a room by the pool - unless you enjoy staying in a room where you can't see anything, stay elsewhere on the property. Lighting in the bathroom area is awful - you can't see to put your makeup on or do your hair. You can't see inside the closet. And you can't see the desk area to make a phone call. Oh, our phone didn't even have batteries in it! Our friends stayed in two different rooms in the Tropical Oasis area and their rooms were well lit and beautiful. The outside bar, Wet, has pretty good food and great drinks but it closes at 6! We were happy that it didn't stay open all night as it would be noisy (kids playing in the pool at 10 p.m. was bad enough) but its crazy that the bar doesn't stay open longer. I've found that we spend more time off the resort than on. So, next visit to VQS we'll be checking out another hotel - one much less expensive. If you want to just stay at the resort and do nothing - this is probably the place for you. Again, the property is gorgeous, the gym is nice and the spa is nice. Wanted to give Fabian a shout out - he went above and beyond to arrange for us to have a late checkout and we appreciated it. At least we ended on a good note.

Room Tip: Rooms by the pool have poor lighting.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank KLP22312

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are honored you have chosen the W Vieques on several occasions as the preferred retreat for your vacation.

We are sorry to hear about the inconveniences you experienced with the rental car. Being in such a pristine location sometimes poses unexpected challenges, one of them being a limited amount of rental cars available on the island. We place great efforts in managing this to the best of our abilities by having one of the largest rental car facilities on site and by actively recommending guests who book this package in particular to make rental car reservations at the time of booking.
As you mention in your experience, the WET Pool bar does close early to allow every guest the opportunity to truly relax and disconnect during the evenings. We do encourage visitors to gather at the Living Room Bar and around the Fire Pit for late drinks and snacks, a game of pool or simply to enjoy the extraordinary sunset views.

We certainly hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you once again, as we look forward to providing you with the extraordinary W Vieques experience!

Greg White - GM

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Traveled with our 22 and 18 year old kids for President's weekend. We had adjoining rooms overlooking the ocean. 431 and 432. Rooms were large and comfortable, the only odd bit was extreme lack of good lighting. Loved keeping the slider door open to listen to the ocean!
Food is good but not great Go off resort to Next Course restaurant for an amazing meal.
Beach on property is good but not great. Go off resort for amazing beaches. Rental cars on property for ease and convenience. The island is small and easy to navigate.
Staff is very friendly. Some wait staff was very slow and unconcerned about time but others were right on target. Loved eating outside overlooking the ocean.
Pool is good for a quick dip. Beach and pool chairs comfortable and abundant. Pool side wait staff is very attentive and quick.
This resort is not cheap. Everything is expensive.
We rented beach chairs and umbrellas, coolers and a Jeep and went off resort every day to different beaches and just loved it. Red Beach by mile marker #10 was my favorite.

We used the kyak, paddle board and snorkel equipment on property, as well as beach towels. Very convenient and easy.

I would recommend this hotel to our fiends but would advise that's it's expensive.

As a side note, I was treated to a cup of coffee by the manager at the front desk when I stopped by to inquire where I might find a late day cup? She ran off to get me one before I could even say a word. That's service!

Room Tip: Rooms 431 and 432 were perfect!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank abeatty_2000

Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience in such detail.
I am excited to read you and your family enjoyed the activities available at the Retreat and also had the opportunity to rent a Jeep and explore the wonderful beaches surrounding Vieques Island.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back!

Greg White

Reviewed February 19, 2014

We spent two nights at the W back in October in between longer stays in San Juan and St. Thomas. From the welcome lounge at the airport to the staff on-site everyone was very friendly and helpful. We loved the decor in the lobby and rooms, the beds were some of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in. Also loved the rainwater shower with the wood sliding door, felt like a steam room. The outdoor activities were great, the plunge pool with the LED lights was especially fun at night. The only minor downside was there was only one paddle board available to rent, but we did enjoy the free snorkel rentals. Being on a small island like Vieques it's expected that food will be expensive, but the quality at the W did not match the price. I paid $7 for the blandest fruit smoothie one morning and the evening dinner options weren't any better, the one holdout being the mango creme brulee. Still a great experience and looking forward to another visit in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Welcome,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful experience with us.
We are excited to learn you enjoyed the retreat ground as well as the array of activities available for guests.

We look forward to having you back soon!

Greg White - GM