“Awesome”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed December 9, 2013 via mobile

This place was very laid back and care free. Beautiful rooms, gorgeous pool, and beach. Horses run wild and makes it feel like a different world. Very clean. All hotel staff was amazing and friendly. However the living roon staff were very different.. The bar tender was so bland as well as the wait staff. Solce staff were awesome the 1st night and very cold after.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience!
I am thrilled we were able to contribute to the creation of amazing memories. Even though you share mixed emotions about the talent, rest assured our goal is to always go above and beyond our guest's wishes.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Best wishes,
Greg White - GM W Vieques

Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The W on Vieques was the perfect weekend getaway and an easy, quick flight from San Juan. The airport lounge is a nice welcome and our transportation to the hotel was seamless. The hotel is situated on a lush, green property overlooking the ocean. Pretty ideal. It was amazing to see the horses roaming the property as well.

I was a little nervous about service, as I had read some negative comments; however, we were pleasantly surprised. Our rooms were not ready when we arrived (we were there well before check-in), and the staff was more than accommodating offering all amenities including showering and changing rooms in the workout facility. The concierge was very helpful and assisted us in booking a bioluminescent bay tour and was still helpful when we wanted to change it... twice. Unfortunately, things did not go as well when we wanted to do the horseback riding tour. First, we were told it was a 3 minute walk... more like a 15 to 20 minute walk, and we were cutting it close on time so we ended up having to run down the road once we realized the walk was much longer. Once we arrived, there was no tour to be found. We called the number on a nearby poster to find out the tour had been cancelled. It would have been nice for the concierge to call and make sure they still had room to accommodate us on the tour, and obviously if the tour was still on or not. Not a huge deal, but not the morning run I had planned. Other than that we had great service in all areas.

Our room was very nice and spacious. Peaceful and beautiful view. Of course, we didn't want to hang out in our room in such a pretty place, but we would have been happy if we had to. My only complaint about the room would be low lighting in bathroom area, but that is minor to me.

The overall property was great and plenty large, but the common areas need to be bigger. While they are all comfortable, there just isn't enough room to accommodate all guests. In addition, we were told that the hotel was only about half full. Though this is easier said than done, it would be nice if there was another pool. Maybe a "quiet pool". The setting is so nice, I could have done without the DJ at the pool on the weekend. The beach areas are great, and I loved being able to order food and drinks without having to move. Basically I have mixed emotions, because I understand that there is a certain vibe that comes with a W property, but I also wanted to be able to relax on my weekend escape.

Overall beautiful place, relaxing rooms, great service and staff. We would definitely return.

Room Tip: The "Fabulous Ocean Front Escape" rooms are perfectly serene. Great views, a very short wa...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Good day,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience!

I am thrilled to read you enjoyed the grounds and our team was able to contribute to the creation of amazing memories.
On your next visit, retreat to the Plunge Pool, a smaller, very quiet area ideal to relax if not in the mood for DJ Music.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I traveled quite a lot and have been in several beach properties, from Maldives to Greek islands to view is organized under several titles for easy reference:

W Hotel Service: their slogan is "whatever-whenever and it literally is. Service was great, staff was very friendly, they never say "no" to any request."

W hotel location: It is on the windy side of the island. The otehr side is much calmer. Having said that to have a breeze when you are drinking your coctatil by the pool/ or your balcony is nice.

W hotel food: food is mediocre. One would expect better food (especially where there is not many other place that you can find decent food outside the hotel) there are several reviews mentioning food is expensive but what do they expect when they are in an island. all teh costs are higher in an island (whether it is a Greek island or an island in South East Asia) The resoruces are scarce and transportation is costly so the food is on the expensive side.

W hotel wi-fi: yes it does not work properly but who needs internet in a place like heaven

W hotel design: It is very nice, relaxing, romantic place. You can relax in one of the big chairs with a spectacular ocean view. Very nice choice of colors, furniture, design.

W hotel - kids: It was a great place however do not go with kids. it is not a kids place at all. My son was bored to death. there is no single thing for kids, no water fountains, no kids pool, no playgorund, no single activity. W should note this in theri website. I also specifically called the hotel before I go to ask whether they have nanny services. they said yes. however when I arrived, they provided me a local newspaper with an advertisement of a nanny and told me to call. they do not even arrange the nanny becaue they do not want to take any liability. How can I leave my child to someone from an island that I do not know.

Big mistake to go with kids. Otherwise go with your special someone and you would have your best romantic time.

island: there are several public beaches on the opposite side of the island. Those beaches ara mazing, stunning. So natural, no development. It is like heaven. A must go. And do not forget to reserve your rental car before you go becaue you would need it.

Room Tip: High floor ocean view rooms are nice but ask for a real ocean view bc some rooms are blocked with tr...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank sebnemsener
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Welcome,

I am glad to read you had a wonderful experience at the W Vieques!
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It is great to read the talent had an important role in amplifying your stay and you enjoyed the grounds at the retreat and the island.

I am sorry to hear however that the food did not exceed your expectations. As part of the continuous efforts to improve, we have been adding new dishes to the menu showcasing local flavors, organic ingredients and in-house grown produce.

While most of our guests are couples or groups of friends, we definitely welcome a fair share of families too. Activities such as biking, nature walks, local beaches, and both pools are kid friendly. Our on-site partner Black Beard also features special programs for kids. It is saddening therefore to hear this is not how you experienced it with your family during your visit.

We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the island, hopefully with your family, for a truly memorable experience.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

The hotel has a truly spectacular location, crazy easy airport access and nice transfer staff. Our room was comfortable and clean but the main lamp had no switch + needed to be plugged and unplugged at the outlet behind the couch, which was strange. Other people seemed to find funky things about their rooms, too. Also, be warned: the $60 resort fee was unwarranted—nothing seemed so spectacular that such a large fee was mandated and so significantly higher than a similar hotel fee in, say, Vegas.

The food and beverage department seemed overwhelmed, at times, & foodies were unimpressed at the offerings. We were glad to have a car in order to eat out (& Vieques has really good restaurants and food trucks!). We recognized groups of adults (see below) from the hotel at all but one of the restaurants we went to, in fact.

As the only big property on the island, there were a fair number of families which was understandable but there’s only one pool and so the kids’ discoveries, new swimming techniques, and occasional crying jags are yours to experience, too. For $60 each day, a kiddie pool and adults-only option would not be unreasonable at a resort. We didn’t mind, but groups of 20 and 30 something’s looking to party W-style may be a little surprised.

2  Thank nyjim

Welcome,

I am glad to read you had a wonderful experience at the W Vieques!

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It is great to read you enjoyed the grounds at the retreat and the island.

I am sorry to hear the food did not exceed your expectations. As part of the continuous efforts to improve, we have been adding new dishes to the menu showcasing local flavors, organic ingredients and in-house grown produce.

We hope to see you again soon!

Greg White- GM W Vieques

Reviewed November 29, 2013

I travel about 60 nights a year so I am not writing as a novice when it comes to destination locations and quality travel. The island and property is very nice. In my opinion, this is below "W" quality (or even Westin) in several categories.
1. I am still wondering what is included in the $60.00 per person resort fee… No steam-sauna, no dry-sauna, no jacuzzi… The health club is smaller then most corporate hotels… the pool is very nice but very small for the amount guest.
2. The most disappointing thing is the advertised "high-speed internet" I am serious when I tell you that, "I am downloading ONE page-a-minute, at best." I have tried three different devices, a new iPad, Mac-Air and iPhone. When I have called the front desk, they just refer me to some internet tech support, (Like I want to be on the phone with their foreign-tech support, trying to diagnose their internet deficiencies.
3. The "Ocean view rooms are not really guaranteed to be ocean-view. My daughters room is blocked out with trees but they charged us the rate without apologies and she has NO ocean view. I will upload a photo tomorrow. 4. In addition, the food are very, very overpriced for the quality you receive. I believe the dining menu prices here are equal if not more expensive then any
4. Hotels in Paris or Manhattan. I've just returned from spending 23 days in both these cities and did not pay more for a lunch or dinner.
The good news is, my wife and daughter are happy to be here and that is very important to me. Thank you W.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for an ocean view. The palm trees block out most of the rooms views but they...
2  Thank Rodney N
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Welcome,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am happy to read that your wife and daughter enjoyed the stay.

We are sorry to learn however that your personal expectations were not met in some areas.
As part of our ongoing efforts to provide the most memorable experiences to our guests, we implement value-adding activities on a constant basis, some of which are covered by the daily resort fee.Some of the items the fee emcompasses are the following: toll-free and local phone calls, wireless internet access, self parking, a welcome experience and refreshments at the W Airport Lounge, land roundtrip transfers between the airport and the resort, daily yoga class, access to SWING (tennis courts) and FIT Gym, beach umbrellas, and non-motorized sports equipment (fins, masks, kayaks, floaters, and tennis equipment).

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future,

Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

It's a pretty place with no respect. Going to the gym felt like I was interrupting the maids' coffee/social hour. No one wants to see five maids in the gym sitting on the equipment that I'm trying to use. Then when I try and sneak into a machine they are sitting on, I get a glare. Totally disrespectful.
When I asked the maids to come back later for the cleaning of the room I was told I had to vacate the room before 11am or I would be charged a late cleaning fee. Seriously?!
Mind you they are little things, but little things do add up. Not impressed and will not be thinking of the W Hotel for our next visit.

• Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Starfish4040

Welcome,

Let me start by thanking you for sharing your experience with us.

I am truly saddened to read we did not meet your expectations. I can assure you this is not representative of the W Vieques as our pride as a team lays in going above and beyond expectations to ensure the experience of each of our guests is unique, memorable and truly conveys our passion to deliver the Whatever/Whenever promise of our brand.

We are very sorry to hear this was not what was delivered to you during your stay and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future to provide you with an experience that truly portrays our values at the retreat.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wife and I arrived and the airport had a private W lounge, which is needed.

Entering the W was a nice experience. We went before the high season and they upgraded us to suite after we requested it. The suite was large and typical W style. We had flush the toilets twice for them to be clean and the the thermostat in the main area needed to be replaced. We asked for maintenance and the toilet situation remained the same and you could tell someone adjusted the thermostat, but it should have been replaced (A water main broke the day we were leaving and we were concerned that we wouldn't be able to shower after swimming in the ocean and the pool, but it was fixed in time).

The restaurant is good, but it is NYC prices. The restaurant service staff were very slow and I ended up having to get up and find a water pitcher myself. This was generally the same theme at the restaurant throughout our stay. We went out to dinner and the front desk suggested some places. We made reservation for Sunday night at a restaurant named Next Course (You must go, unbelievably great food and service was very good as well) at the same time we asked that they call another restaurant for that evening as there were only two that area and the other menu had nothing my pregnant wife, it was our babymoon, could eat. They insisted it would not be a problem after a couple requests and we went. The restaurant was closed (not open for the season yet) and the only choice was the Tin Box, which was out of many things. We spoke with the desk attendant and the response was something I would expect from a motel clerk.

The Hotel was pretty and had horses roaming the grounds and eating vegetation. We went in with lower expectations because of other reviews and while we took that under consideration we were somewhat hoping for a better experience. I don't think I would go back, but many other W's have much better service. Still needs some more attention from management.

Room Tip: Go to Bio Bay and experience restaurants outside the compound. Remember many restaurants are seasona...
1  Thank XEMO

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing the details of your stay with us. We really appreciate the positive comments as well as the mentioned areas of opportunity.

It is saddening to read your overall expectations were not exceeded in some areas. Rest assured we strive to provide unforgettable memories to our guests and I am sorry to learn this is not how it was perceived by you and your wife while staying with us.

We will continue on implementing measures to enhance the overall experience of our guests and hope you will provide us with a second chance to show the true spirit of the team at the W Vieques.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
El Blok Hotel
El Blok Hotel
#1 of 1 in Esperanza

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!