“Great experience”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Perfect get away for couples, really quiet, perfect ambiance, extra clean... The Sorcé Rest serves the best Paella! Make sure to visit Arelis(bartender) at the "living room" for an excellent service, refreshing drinks and a great bar experience!!!! We will definitely come back!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fran F
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Welcome,

It is great to read you had an amazing experience at the W Vieques. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive feedback!

I will also ensure to extend your comments to Arelys, who I am sure will be very happy to learn she made a valuable contribution to your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 23, 2013

We spent 4 nights coming from LAX that past few days. We where lucky to get a WOW Ocean Front Retreat upgrade and fell in love this the place. Beautiful, warm and modern design steps away from your own private beach across the manicured paths and stepping stones. The cascading pools on the other side of the resort are beautiful and in the center is the lobby with Source restaurant which we could recommend to try several dishes. We had a huge tub in the room with separate shower, gorgeous sliding curtains around our bed and across the windows offering all sorts of semi-ocean view privacy and dark sleep options made better with the chilly AC options. The gym is great offering over 24 quality pieces of cardio and lifting options. We rented a jeep from Island Rentals which you will need to get around for two days, take the to relax at the pool, sleep in, walk around the resort and take some photos. Bring your digital HD recorder so you can capture the amazing tree frog sounds, from dozens of species all around the lofts, hidden in the foliage. Visit the beaches on the Caribbean side (near Blue Beach on Google) and Silver Beach though we run into a log of bugs flying around there. But aren't really that bad in general and some of the beaches with see weed in various states of decomposition can cause that.

Room Tip: The bigger the better, stay away from the basic rooms around the pool. There are probably 75 in tha...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Welcome,

Thank you for sharing your positive feedback with us!
We are thrilled to read you had an amazing experience.

It is highly satisfying to learn we are achieving our goal as a team: to play an important role in the creation of amazing memories for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the island charm,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I will love to start by saying that I didn't know what to expect when I was to arrive... There are so many reviews from this hotel that I was totally confuzed. Even though that the majority are good reviews. I'm not sure what people get by writing wrong things about prices... First of all, which hotel is not pricey??? You have to understand that this hotel is located in a secluded island and that everything has to be shipped in by ferry or by a small plane... That being said, I find that the prices on the hotel are just reasonable for a person who is accustomed to travel... The food and service are good... Breakfast buffet is nice with an understandable price range of $14 kids and $28 adults... Lunch is ok and you have two options for it... At the pool or at the restaurant. Dinner is devine... They have a Caribbean style menu with local flavors which I thought was amazing... I had a whole yellow tail snapper which I'm still savoring... They also serve one of the bests sangrias I ever had ( fresh mix berries )...overall, everything was fantastic... I recommend to experience it for yourself...

• Stayed: August 2013
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Welcome!

We highly appreciate you taking the time to share your positive feedback.

I am thrilled to learn you enjoyed your stay, and had such a great experience, especially during dinner at Sorce Restaurant. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back, and surprise you with the new menu offerings we will have available soon, all dishes showcasing local, organic ingredients the chef harvests himself with the local farmers!

We look forward to your return to paradise island,

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

For a place that advertise themselves as an almost perfect misses the mark completely. We stayed in Vieques for a day before coming to the W so we decided to check the place out and came to the W cafe for something to eat. Upon entering the young lady at the corner mopping, named Abigail, didn't acknowledge us for five minutes then took our order and never said anything at all. That simply left a bad taste in my mouth before I even checked in the hotel.

The next day we arrived around 11 and our room was ready so they gave it to us. That was really nice to be able to do an early check in with no charge.

The rooms are incredible, very spacious and beautiful, the decor is incredible and breath taking but I found water bugs. I understand we are on a island but those things shouldn't be happening in this kind hotel. We decided to walk around and explore the place. The grounds are beautiful but the pathways to walk around are made of dirt or some type of clay and when it rains there are puddles every where and that lead to the room always been dirty. The ice machine outside my villa didn't work so when I call the front desk I was told to go to another villa and get ice. Really? In this kind of hotel, the one who has a whatever whenever button that "make your wishes come true".

We decided to have lunch at the bar near the pool and that's where we found out about the outrageous prices. $12 dollar for water down mojitos that you can't taste the alcohol. We ordered queso fundido, which read like this in the menu: mix of cheeses, chilies, chorizo with yuca chips, regular chips and pico de gallo for $16 and we got melted velveta cheese with tostitos. No yuca chips, no chorizo, no pico de gallo. If you are charging this much for an appetizer then make it right and make memorable. Have the chef do it and not the line cooks.

At night we decided to have dinner and I was surprised to find out they only have one restaurant. We have been in many of the best hotels in the world (casa de campo, tabacon, etc) and they all have multiple options so that was disappointing.

The food on the other hand was amazing. Very good flavors and taste. Worth it of a fine dining restaurant. Lobster macaroni was under season, pork tenderloin was over season. Other than that the food was amazing. Breakfast is also pretty incredible at the restaurant as well. Perhaps one of the best French toast I have ever eaten in my life.

The lobby lounge is very nice with plenty of reading material, games and a pool table but the Wet bar closes at 5pm, restaurant at 10pm and lobby bar at 11pm so what else is to do after that? Absolutely nothing but go to sleep. There are no shows, no dance floor, no teenage or kids activities. Nothing.

They offer shuttle service from the airport to the hotel and vice versa but not to the port or any other place. I mean you can get from one side of Vieques to the other in 15-20 minutes that's how small the island is and the port is about 10 minutes from the hotel so seriously no shuttle down there? Come on, guests are paying $400 a room here. Give them something in return.

We explored everywhere in Vieques and the beaches in Esperanza are better than here. The scenery is beautiful and the decor is amazing here but nothing else. It doesn't even feel like Vieques here. It feels more like Hawaii or Costa Rica perhaps. Basically they charge you for the decor and the name, everything else is average.

2  Thank Mac2105

Welcome

Thank you for taking the time to describe in such detail your experience at the W Vieques.
I can assure you our talent is always looking to accommodate our guests' every wish, and I am therefore very saddened to read this is not how it was experienced by you during your stay.

We are now working on additional activities including a happy hour by WET pool and daily special menus.

I truly hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back,

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 22, 2013

So, I stayed at the W this passed weekend and was extremely disappointed! The facilities and location are amazing! But the service and staff are nothing to brag about, from the manager to the bartenders and even the waitress at there overpriced restaurant the service was BAD! If I am paying 5 start prices I expect 5 start service... The quality of the food is bad, you are better off eating at any restaurant in the island! The beach at the hotel is ugly, every other beach on the island is beautiful! Overall I was not happy with the hotel! I will go to Vieques again but next time will not stay at the W :(

Welcome,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We very much appreciate your positive feedback as well as the points in which you felt your expectations were not exceeded.

I can assure you the talent is always working to accommodate our guests' wishes, and I am therefore very saddened to read this is not how it was experienced by you during your stay. We will continue on placing our drive in improving the attention and service quality extended to our guests.

Additionally, in an effort to further develop the food offerings currently available, we are working closely with local farmers to harvest and use only the best seasonal ingredients, all of which will be locally sourced. The new menu at Sorcé Restaurant and other food venues will showcase these ingredients, ensuring we provide guests with the highest quality available.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to an experience that truly conveys the values for which the W Vieques stands for.

Best Wishes

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was a nice quiet resort for a relaxing beach escape. There are couple of beaches, swimming pool and a restaurant. Service was good from the airport lounge, to fast check-in and good restaurant. Rooms were nice and spacious.

I would return again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Welcome,

Thank you for your positive feedback!
I am happy to read you had the opportunity to relax, and that your overall experience was so memorable.

We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Came here for a wedding of a friend. Beautiful place yet highly over priced. Put it this way $6 for a small cup of ginger-ale thats mostly ice. Unheard of! $16-$18 for a piña colada that is extremely weak and a very rude pool bartender that needed to put underwear on. A $70 bill for a very weak & picked through breakfast buffet for 2. To make it easy I'll just list the Pro's and Con's.

Pro's
Nice staff (with the exception of the pool bartender)
24 hour pool
Beautiful scenic views
Helpful with advice when trying venturing around on the island
Spacious rooms with decent amenities

Con's (this list is much longer)
- Highly over priced for quality of food & drinks
- Lackluster quality of food and sub-par buffet
- Zero on-site recreational activities to choose from
- Pool bar closes around 6pm which I found to be ridiculous
- The manager is extremely rude if you happen to to be snacking on or drinking anything at the pool that wasn't purchased at the bar or restaurant. He will tell you to take ot away. They have to understand that not everyone wants to pay $17-$18 dollars for a drinks or $6 for a watered down side in a baby cup, or $30-$40 for two sandwhiches from the menu.
- $100 for a 30 minute massage which call me cheap but to me its over priced
- a friend started to feel very faint borderline passing out when my other find ran inside to buy him a banana. The lady said they didn't have bananas to sell but that she could make us a banana shake. She proceeded to make the shake and 1 minute later came out of the kitchen with bananas to chop up for the shake, and then charged $12. Why couldn't we just buy one of those bananas for our sick friend? One of those "huh?" moments. Ahhh of course, so they can charge us an obscene amount of money for a subpar shake.

I will most certainly visit Vieues again but more than likely wont spend my money by staying at The W because I work too damn hard to spend hard earned money and feel as if Im not getting my monies worth.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Welcome,

Let me start by thanking you for sharing your feedback with us, I am saddened to read your experience was not according to your expectations, and will certainly look into the areas you bring to our attention.

Please rest assured we constantly focus on adding value to the experience of our guests, and have therefore implemented daily complimentary amenities, such as the Sunset Sip (cocktail) served at the Living Room Bar to welcome the evening, morning coffee and tea, and fresh lemon-water dispensers located in key areas throughout the Retreat. Regularly, complimentary bottled water is placed in guest rooms on a daily basis. We are now implementing additional activities including a happy hour by WET pool and daily special menus .
I am very sorry to hear these efforts were not value-adding to your experience.

Additionally, In order to further improve the food offerings currently available, we are currently working closely with local farmers to harvest and use only the best seasonal, locally sourced ingredients. The new menu at Sorcé Restaurant and other food venues will showcase these ingredients, ensuring we provide guests with the highest quality available.

Hopefully, we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to an experience that truly brings to life all the magic the island and the retreat have to offer.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
Malecon House
Malecon House
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!