“Below Par”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Chicago, Illinois
“Below Par”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Checked in after a long travel day to find that our reservation for a king size bed with an ocean view was not available. Why make a reservation and give a deposit to hold a room if your not going to get what you requested? I was placed in a dbl bed room on a second floor which we had changed to a king at garden level. When I asked to speak to a manager I was told Elizabeth was not available and that nothing more could be done about the overbook. No follow up or apology from hotel management. The rest of our stay was up and down. Beautiful pool area, but beyond difficult to find servers. No pool manager in sight and had to beg and REMIND staff about an order! Met Ricky later in our stay and thought he was fantastic. Maybe someone at Starwood should look into making him the general manager, because it's obvious the current team has no clue. Guest room was poorly designed. No one explained the lighting design to us, but thankfully another GUEST did (your room card must be placed in slot near door and remain there for lights to operate). My wife isn't the tallest of girls but she's never had to use our luggage to reach the mirror over our sink. How about installing a normal mirror without multi-panels which make it difficult to view. The room issues would have been over looked if the service would have been more consistent. Atm was out of service, but when I asked for cash in the evening, the front desk girl told me she didn't have a money drawer. I could go on and on, but honestly we really liked the island. Someone needs to build another resort on Vieques so the W steps up it's game. It's a shame that such a lovely property is being managed so poorly.

Room Tip: Good luck in getting a good room cause I apparently don't know how to!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sdr2013
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Good day Sdr2013,

Let me start by thanking you for taking the time to share your experience at the W Vieques, we appreciate your comments and take your feedback very seriously.

I am truly sorry to read your expectations were not met. I will ensure we look into the issues you bring to our attention, as we strive to the creation of unforgettable experiences for the guests.

I sincerely hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back and make your stay one that really represents the values that the team at the W Vieques stands for.

Greg White - GM W Vieques

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 5, 2013

Having spent most of my work trip in Rio Grande, I ended it at the W Resort for a couple of days at the end (because I wanted to check out the resort and the island of Vieques).I loved everything about it. The resort is a typical W style, funky and eclectic, which is what I love about the W brand.

I did an island tour, which was extremely informative and I highly recommend that everyone do. And, I did the Bio Bay excursion in the kayak's. It was great, but I got tired of paddling.

I was traveling alone and never once felt unsafe. I plan to go back to the W resort and the island.

Tourism is just starting to take off on the island. I think this is one of the next "It" places.

I can't wait to return.

Room Tip: Go for an ocean view room. It is very relaxing!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
WViequesGM, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear DallasMeetingPlanner,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
I am glad to read you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed your time getting to know the magic places on the island.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back once more!

Warmest regards,
South Elgin, Illinois
Reviewed May 5, 2013

If it wasn't for attending a wedding I won't have visited this place. Everything was way overpriced for the condition of the place. The slowest Internet in any hotel. $30 buffet b'fast that should have been included with the room rate!!! $100+ to rent a car.

But, the normal working staff, not those with their noses up in the air were outstanding. Cuco and Dan from Philly, along with the Admiral kid and the front desk guy that worked overnight Friday, those four were great. Oh, add the other young man that lived in Buffalo.

Room Tip: The room are too dark for my taste.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank DEMojica
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the W Vieques. I am happy to read the staff had such a valuable contribution in the creation of an unforgettable stay and will make sure I extend your feedback to the team.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We visited the W Retreat again last week, almost a full year after we went in 2012. We found many improvements to the hotel in the past year and were excited to be back! We arrived to the W where the occupancy was about 50%, only half full. I cannot tell you what a difference this made. No searching for pool chairs, no loud music, just pure relaxation! We were upgraded to an ocean front room in front of the Wet area, which was a nice change from our garden room we had last time. In contrast, the ocean front rooms are larger and much cooler than the garden rooms. A lot of the staff at the hotel was the same in the past year, and gone were the issues people have complained about with the staff- everyone seemed top notch. There are so many great things about this resort, and there were very little cons. I will list them out as pro/con just to make it easier:

PRO- cool vibe, amazing island, awesome hotel unlike anything you usually see, nice staff, great pools, nice having the car rental place onsite (rent the jeep and go to blue beach- it's amazing). Love the living room and the outside couches and chairs to watch the sunset. Best views of the ocean on the island. Great firepit.

CON- the shower curtain in our room smelled terrible- minor complaint- but it did stink up the room. The food here is so expensive. I remember it being the same last year, but somehow the quality was better. This year each thing I ordered at either the pool or W Cafe (we did not eat at the restaurant this year) just didn't seem as tasty or the portions as large as last year. Yes, I know it's a resort and it's supposed to be expensive, I get that, but it just seemed much more than usual, probably because the quality was not there. Also, they changed their mixed/frozen drinks to a mix from hand making them last year- again, not huge- but they weren't as tasty and it kept me from ordering from the bar. The W Cafe which we used so much last year, we didn't really use much, we felt the food selection wasn't as good and the coffee wasn't as tasty- go figure.

One thing to note about the restaurants in Vieques during this late April/early May timeframe (slow season) is that they take off certain days and some are closed for weeks at a time. We ended up eating some good meals but we had to plan them in advance based around their schedule. We were disappointed that our favorite El Quenepo was closed the entire time we were there- but we found some other new favorites. Call Miguel to get you to and from.

All in all, it was a great trip! We loved being at the W and would love to come back to Vieques. It's such a unique and amazing island- if you like being remote and just relaxing- it's really the place to go.

Room Tip: Try to get an oceanfront room- they are the largest.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angela S
Mariana P, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Good day Angela S,

I am delighted to read you have chosen the W Vieques on two occasions as your holiday destination.

Thank you for taking the time to share in detail your experience. We very much appreciate your positive feedback as well as the points in which you felt your expectations were not exceeded.
We will certainly look into the matters you address, to continue on improving the quality of the service we extend to the guests.

I am looking forward to welcoming you on a third occasion!

Greg White – GM W Vieques
Miami
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Where do I start? Such a disorganized place.

FOOD
Got served a turkey sandwich at the W cafe, only thing wrong was the turkey was RAW and still frozen, inside the sandwich. How can that even happen? What is the "cook" thinking while making the sandwich? Manager apologized and told me that the actual cook was not there, and his assistant made the sandwich. By the way, it took about 45 minutes for them to get the order to me while I sat at the table, unbelievable shoddy service all around. Forget room service. Ordered the food, but it never came.... wonder who got the order? It did not show up on the final check out bill.... No Keurig coffee makers in room either, you need walk to the front desk ( it was free coffee there ).

POOL
Lots of kids, although the pool was nice. The pool bar does close at 4pm, so don't think about enjoying a beer by the pool during sunset, which I think is absurd. There are weddings or ceremonies or parties every night at the pool, can get loud, so on Sunday morning there were hundreds of W plastic glasses everywhere by the pool still filled with the leftover booze they drank the night before.

ROOM
Nice room, had a tub in middle of room, extra large shower, cool sink, comfortable bed and decent AC. Sand was on the floor from the previous guest still, swinging chair stunk of sweat....

GROUNDS
Nice well maintained grounds, very tropical.

SHOP
Forget it. The shop is not managed by a stateside corporation, but by some underfunded entity, maybe the hotel itself? No selection on souvenirs, or anything else for that matter. Just a place for buying a bottle of water at most.

SPA
Overpriced forget it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank TallTraverler
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, May 3, 2013

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your detailed feedback here on TripAdvisor. I personally read and respond to each of these reviews, and take action on what is written. We take our service very seriously, and when there are breakdowns in service, we address them. So thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at the W hotel for a few days. The property is beautiful-great pool & great room. However, there are a ton of opportunity areas. The male concierge is horrible. He's lazy so don't expect him to go out of his way to do anything for you. He will not make any reservations for anything not endorsed by the hotel. Another opportunity area is the food. This hotel is away from everything and unfortunately the food is bad and pricey. But the service is worse at the restaurant. Rest assured the front desk staff is amazing! Ask them for anything and they will go out of their way to help you. Overall Vieques is beautiful. But the W is not worth $600 per night for that price you're better off at another luxury hotel in Hawaii or another island.

• Stayed April 2013
5 Thank 8Avidtraveler

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate the positive and negative feedback a like, as it helps us improve our overall service standards. I'm sorry to read you encountered a breakdown in our service and overall felt disappointed. We are addressing the issues you mention, but thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed for three nights and very much enjoyed the hotel. Stayed in Ocean Front Room, well laid out and comfortable. Pool especially enjoyable. Grounds of property are wonderful, with plenty of places to sit and relax all through the resort. Staff generally ok, but not especially knowledgeable, particularly the concierge. We inquired as to snorkling trip and tour of the islands and she just gave us a list of providers. She did not offer any insight as to which to choose, nor were they able to give us any general info on the experience, which parts of the island to visit, etc. Since that is main activity of island, not sure what else they do. Overall nice experience.

Room Tip: ocena front down the shore, away from pool and main building which can be busy and noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank emurphy57

May 3, 2013

Thanks for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear you had a lovely stay, and look forward to welcoming you back to the island in the future.

Warmest,

#6 of 13 in Isla Verde
Hacienda Tamarindo
Hacienda Tamarindo
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!