“Facilities”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Peaceful green areas, great staff always diligent and helpful. Management are extremely professional. Their luxury lounge in the airport its unique in the Island. Car rentals available inside their facilities, also many other things.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear you had a lovely stay, and enjoyed our hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to the island in the future.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

The W was a very nice hotel. The staff was not so good. Very Rude! The food was not good and over priced! We were already booked into the hotel and ONLY had our wedding package for two on the beach. We were so worried about the W over charging us again on our stay we chose to pay cash for food and ask for nothing on a tab!! Realy DON't CHARGE!!!The people of Vieques OUTSIDE the W is the only thing that kept us going. I have never had such trouble with so many hotel over charges in my life! 50yrs old. It was such a blessing to be given this trip(not the stay) for a wedding present that I couldn't complain till now.(Two years later). I will never stay here again! They double charged us so many times that when we were leaving i was in tears! Almost maxing out my credit card and WOULD NOT reverse the double charges there.Thanks to the W Hotel and their horrible staff! Management was DISAPPOINTING and we were never able to deal with the hotel to fix our bill,so we had to have it fixed outside the hotel when we returned home.It took 7 months and this was from the very start.The plan was to be STRESS FREE LET US PLAN YOUR WEDDING! BIG MISTAKE! NO communicaton (NOT) "WHENEVER WHATEVER" I am just so glad we went to other places to explore the island. Don't get cought up there! It's NOT WORTH IT!. I wish i would of written this review long ago.Sorry to all who had to find out the hard way. There are other places to stay and NOT BE TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF. It'S MY MONEY NOT YOURS!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank CashOnly55

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate the positive and negative feedback a like, as it helps us improve our overall service standards. I'm sorry to read you encountered a breakdown in our service and overall felt disappointed. We are addressing the issues you mention, but thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

We came here for four days with old San Juan on either end of our trip.we had a price break due to work but my gosh, this place is so overpriced its ridiculous. The good-the rooms were great-huge, comfy beds, great shower, the pools made my kids' day, they were helpful getting us a car (we had tried fir weeks to get a call or email back but could not secure one ahead of time.
The bad-the food is outrageously priced (drip coffee $6, bowl of yogurt and fruit$10, dinners (30-38$) and really not good. Seriously not good. Breakfast was passable but kids 12 and over were adults for the breakfast buffet at $28(!). Dinner was bad, and so crazy expensive.
Once we got a car we did not eat anything else there.
The beach (family beach) is nothing great and pretty rough actually. Snorkeling was lame (we brought our own snorkel gear). I just expected the beach to be a main draw.
And the big metal bathtub is ridiculous-takes literally forever to fill a dis very uncomfortable/impractical. It looks good though.

The grounds are lovely, rooms are great, but amenities are not worth it and food is awful.
Our first two nights here they were filled to 1/3 capacity (over spring break week). Our second two nights they had a wedding and it definitely filled up. Once there were people here they ran out of beach towels and pool chairs, our room did not get cleaned until after 2pm... I'm not sure they are set to handle the crowds-maybe they don't normally need to.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank DCmom4

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate the positive and negative feedback a like, as it helps us improve our overall service standards. I'm sorry to read you encountered a breakdown in our service ,pricing and overall felt disappointed. We are addressing the issues you mention, but thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a more lengthy entry than I would usually write, but there are things about our experience which I would have appreciated knowing before making our reservation, so I’m hoping it is helpful for some.
My husband and I just returned from a three-night stay at the W and, for the most part, were very happy with the accommodations. It was nice to be greeted in a special W room at the airport, though we were a little nervous at first because the representative couldn’t find our name on his list. He kept asking if perhaps the reservation was booked under another name (YIKES!). But finally he located us – I’m not sure why it was so difficult for him to find us listed. Note that the refreshments they offer just consist of juices and tea & coffee (we were hoping for champagne or wine).
In no time at all, the shuttle whisked us away to the resort and we were kindly ushered into the lobby. Even though there seemed to be quite a crowd waiting, we were immediately invited to sit down at the concierge desk where we were quickly checked in and upgraded from an ocean-view, to an ocean-front room.
The room was fantastic! Second floor villa, very large, comfortable and tastefully decorated. The balcony was also large and had two chairs, a cocktail table and wooden rack for hanging wet towels and suits. We looked directly over the Whispers beach which was for adults only and simply beautiful: quiet and not at all crowded. For us – this location was perfect. We felt that the pool area was too busy and noisy for us, and the other villas past the pool were set too far from the ocean. (However – those latter villas had a wonderful plunge pool which was usually quiet and serene)
As much as we loved our room and location, we did experience some disappointments. After checking into our room, I immediately noticed the sign in our room which said that we could request a coffee maker in our room if we would like. Since I like my coffee first thing every morning, I called hotel services and requested that they deliver one to our room. Unfortunately, they had none available. We then proceeded to the water sports rental and car rental facility which was a very short walk from our villa. We were stunned when we were told that they had no snorkel gear available for us and couldn’t guarantee that we would have any the next day either. I would have thought that when you are charged a $60+ resort fee you would be certain to have that equipment on hand for you! From there, we moved on a couple of feet over to the car rental desk just to confirm our reservation for a Jeep the next day. Again – we were diappointed to learn that, although they had our reservation and credit card in the system, it appeared that there was a glitch and no car was reserved for us! Although the attendant was very kind and apologetic, he said there was nothing to do but come back the next morning and hope that somehow he could work something out (but it didn’t sound likely). We were really starting to panic at this point since exploring the beaches and snorkeling was what we were most looking forward to. We also were beginning to wonder about the W’s “wherever, whatever” motto which we saw posted all over the complex, implying that our wish was their command. So far – this was hardly the case at all.
We headed right to the concierge desk to complain about the snorkel and car rental and thankfully Dave saved the day! He told us to go relax on the beach and that he would personally deliver snorkel gear to us which he did in a matter of minutes. He also spoke with the car rental place to ensure that we could get a car the next day. We did thankfully end up with a car the next morning, but it made us question how the place operates. The sports facility and car rental are run independently from the hotel, but they are on the W property and I think the W needs to be more diligent in making sure guests are accommodated smoothly and efficiently. (Remember “wherever, whatever”?) The other issue was beach towels – we quickly found out that they sometimes ran out of them and so we learned to keep two used ones in our room as back-ups.
Would we return to the W? Probably. But I now know a few things: I would call before arrival to be sure that snorkel gear was there for us, that our car rental was 100% confirmed and that a coffee maker was reserved for us. And once I got my hands on some beach towels, I would keep them stashed in my room! ☺

Room Tip: For couples without children, go for a room away from the main pool.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank NewHoper

Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

DON'T GO TO THIS HOTEL. Yes it is beautiful, and it's fun to snorkel and kayak. It's not worth the money. The food was disappointing and too expensive. My family didn't like a single thing we ordered at dinner. Lunch was decent. Staff was incredibly nice (for the most part), but they weren't very attentive and ruin lunch it was insanely understaffed. Just simply not worth the high price.

• Stayed: March 2013
5  Thank ManeraCaroline

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Where do I start? How about with checkin. We arrived early - 1130a - and understandably the rooms were not ready. So we waited patiently by the pool. 4pm was checkin and we didn't get our room until 545p. Not a great way to start our vacation.

I have to say, the resort itself is quite nice. Horses run free on the property and in the early morning hours you can see them laying in the grass or grazing. The pool area was nice as well. Lots of seating around both pools. The service from the pool bar was attentive and quick. All the servers we had were great.

Our rooms were a nice size and exactly what you'd expect from the W, spacious and well decorated. The bed was really comfortable.

Now reality sets in. We're early risers and were down by the pool by 7a. Every morning the pool area was littered with trash, empty cups and bottles from the day/night before. There were no towels in the morning so you had to go to the front desk to get them. Towels didn't come out until close to 10a. How's that possible? Same with water. Bone dry until 10a.

They also have 6 cabanas they charge $250 a day for. Not one person paid for any of them for the 6 days we were there. They just sat empty. Why wouldn't they just have them open? $250 a day? Unbelievable.

They charge a $60 a day resort fee (actually $65.40 with tax) which includes Internet and non-motorized water sports, etc. The problem is with such a large property, you have to walk 1/2 to the other side to get paddles for kayaking, snorkel & mask for swimming in the ocean. You have to be there right when they open to ensure you get them or you'll miss out for the day because they don't have nearly enough to accommodate the number of people staying.

The Internet is also included in the resort fee and its worse than a third world country. Seriously, dial up would be faster. This is unacceptable to me considering you don't have an option to use it because you're forced to pay for it. The hotspot on my iPhone worked 10 times faster. Ridiculous.

Then there are the nature sounds at night they pipe in around the property. They're so loud you can hear them as if they're in your room. Frogs and crickets - two of the most annoying sounds anyone would want to hear at night. If we could have only found the plug, it would have been silent!!

All in all I wouldn't return. This hotel is not what I'd expect from a W, especially for what they charge. We did have a great time only because there were 14 of us and it was the company that made the trip awesome.

Proceed with caution.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tom S

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I came here with my daughter, niece and a friend to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city and read that W is perfect for relaxing. The facility is very nice with large size rooms that are clean and modern but quite dark. Room amenities were lacking as well: No coffee maker, free bottled water, slippers. nor shower caps were provided. However, slippers were provided when requested. There is a beautiful pool area and two private beaches (adult and family) but neither of the beaches were that enticing. They were okay but the beaches outside the hotel are much nicer. The spa was small with no sauna, steam room, or a lounge to relax while waiting for a service. Hence, the $60/day daily resort fee was not worth it from my perspective.

The hotel staff were just wonderful, helpful and friendly. However, the concierge service was not up to par- asked her to organize a trip to the beach for us. But other than explaining the various beaches on the island , she would not coordinate the rental of chairs/umbrellas/lunch pack, etc. She told us we had to contact the W cafe to order our picnic lunch, then walk to the beach rental store to rent the umbrellas, chairs, etc. She also said we had to bring the items to the lobby where we can get a taxi to the beach. Huh??? the cafe and rental store are both located within the W property. Why couldn't she make the calls and have everything delivered to the lobby for us. We were willing to pay for the service but still the answer was no.

Hotel food is just okay, nothing to speak of. The island though has many good restaurants which are worth trying.

Taxi ride to most anywhere is $5.00 one way/$10 round trip per person. There were four of us so we paid $40 each time we went out for lunch, beach, dinner, etc. gets very pricey. We rented a car for about $90/day...totally worth it. The island is worth exploring with its beautiful beaches, wild horses, and good food. And the bio bay experience was just awesome!

W Retreat and Spa in Vieques is the best resort on the island. I do recommend it but don't expect 5-star accommodations and service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Darlene T

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate the positive and negative feedback a like, as it helps us improve our overall service standards. I'm sorry to read you encountered a breakdown in our service. We are addressing the issues you mentioned, but thank you for bringing them to our attention.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
#7 of 13 in Isla Verde
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
Blue Horizon Boutique Resort
#6 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!