We stayed for a week at this place during the week of 23 Dec 2012. We were in Vieques to show our 4yr old pristine beaches and an authentic island lifestyle.
First I should add that Vieques and this Retreat (yes, it is not called a Resort) is not for everyone. The minimalist design of this place appealed to us as did the lighting. The lighting is intentionally subdued to protect turtle nesting sites around the resort (from Greg White, the hotel's GM). A lot of people find the design a bit austere.
From the welcome at the W Lounge at the quaint Vieques airport to your check-in the experience is great.
We were upgraded from a oceanfront room to a "marvellous suite" and it was marvellous! Stay at villas 11-17, which don't suffer from the elevator music piped all over the oceanfront rooms. Wonder why they do that? At night the Coqui frogs and crickets can create quite the ambience. We had some issues with the in-room safe when we checked in, and after we called the reception they had a repair person in our room within 10 mins (even though it was 7pm).
The restaurants (there are three, the Living Room, Sorce and the W Cafe) are good. While the service is good and attentive, it can be trying at peak times. There is free tea/coffee available all day in the main lounge. Even though we are vegetarian, we had enough choice of food.
For excursions there is an Island Car rental on the property, and also Blackbeard Sports has a shop where one can rent kayaks, snorkelling equipment, book bio tours and fishing trips.
While this property is designed around an adult audience, our little guy had enough to do. There is even a kid's area where one can sign in your kids for a few hours of respite! It may not appeal to kids in the 5-10 age group.
While we were there at peak season (Xmas), the pool deck chairs were always occupied - people would wake up and put towels on them to "book" them. Hardly what you expect in a 5 star property. By end of the week, hotel mgmt. had signs put up that if chairs were unoccupied for 30 mins, they would open it.
The property has three pools - two are in the main property,while the third is a beautiful circular pool near villa 12/13.
The two beaches around the hotel are nice, one is an adults only (which I took to mean "no kids", rather than nudity accepted). There was enough equipment available for kayaking or snorkelling. We did not experience some of the "towel" shortage experienced by other reviewers.
We rented a Jeep from Avis (who are no longer on the W property but about 5 mins away). They will pick you up. The hotel is not around one of the two towns on the island, and also if you want to visit some of the more pristine beaches, you need a 4x4.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on two private, secluded beaches, W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island is a resort in Puerto Rico that provides the perfect getaway for a relaxing and luxurious villa-style vacation with infinite indulgences. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, getaroom.com, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and TripOnline SA so you can book your W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- w Retreat And Spa Vieques
- w Retreat & Spa Vieques Hotel Isla De Vieques