“A little island paradise”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed December 25, 2012

I found this retreat to be wonderful and very relaxing. The resort sits on the Atlantic side with two beautiful, but small beaches, and is a bit isolated from the two little towns on the island. Cabs are plentiful, but not terribly expensive, and there is also a car rental company on the grounds. The service was professional, attentive, and friendly. That said, remember it is an island and it is the W, so food and drinks are expensive, although I found the quality of the food to be excellent.
Our room was spacious and the view was beautiful.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank KristinaLF
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here with the TripAdvisor community. We are happy to hear you found Vieques and the W to be paradise. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

GM - W Vieques

Write a ReviewReviews (1,844)

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Older reviews point out that the hotel has service problems and is too new to be functioning properly. Clearly, that time is over and the hotel is now up and running perfectly. I can't say enough about the excellent service I received throughout the resort. Checkin (early) with Adrien was wonderful (he was incredible throughout my entire stay). Pool-side drink and food service was efficient, regular and not too pushy. Dinner at sorce was great, excellent service, great food and they even packed up my leftovers for the next day. Only complaint was that they were out of my first two choice wines.

The resort itself was beautiful. The pool area was relaxing, always enough chairs around the area; music under the water was a cool touch. On the beach it was a bit windy but I still took advantage of the free kayak rentals and paddled up and down the coast. Pools are open 24h and you can take a bottle of wine and relax at night around the pool with the place to yourselves.

My room (ocean view escape) had an incredible king bed where you could see the ocean from your pillow. The bathtub was open but the shower was an open, but concealed walk-in. Overall the decor, the layout and the amenities in the room were perfect!

Food and drinks are a bit pricey compared to what you would pay throughout Puerto Rico, but guess what, this is the W. You get what you pay for. Everything I consumed was delicious and I do not regret it. If you are looking for lighter breakfast snacks, head over to the W Cafe and get a bagel or cereal or something.

Room Tip: Villas 1-3 are quiet, 4-8 are facing the pool, and 8+ are quiet too. Definitely go for the ocean vie...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Hello,

Thanks for the lovely review of our Retreat. We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful stay, and I'll be sure to share this feedback with the talent you mention. We hope to see you back in Vieques again soon!

Reviewed December 24, 2012

The resort and location are just beautiful. Staff are unfriendly and clearly just going through the motions. Overheard the manager telling another complaining guest that the difficulties stem from the island mentality. Funny, but nearly all the staff we interacted with were from Mainland US. Finally, as other reviewers have mentioned, NEVER enough beach towels available - frequently none!

Overall, this resort isn't worth the fairly high price we paid. Wouldn't go back.

• Stayed: November 2012

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed Vieques, but concerned with your experience with our service levels. Our goal is to exceed the expectations of every guest, so I am sorry to hear your experience left more to be desired. We appreciate the feedback nonetheless, and hope to see you back in Vieques again soon.

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Checked in to the W Retreat and Spa for a little rest and relaxation and got so much more than that. A wonderful greeting at the airport in an air-conditioned lounge, lovely transfer to the property and check in went well. Landed in Villa 3 on the 2nd floor at the ocean front. It was absolutely beautiful. My first night I was traveling alone until the rest of the party arrived. The W staff made me feel welcome and safe. I spent the evening in "The Living Room" overlooking the sea where I was served a delicious cold and complimentary tropical cocktail. The atmosphere was nice and encouraged friendly conversation between guests, if they were so inclined It was great for me since I was on my own for the first night. Dinner was a tasty salad with mixed field greens, fresh julienne mango with nuts and a light, but flavorful, vinaigrette followed by some delectable empanadas. The General Manager was on property and went out of his way to see to it that all guests had everything they needed for a great vacation experience. He was instrumental in getting one family's luggage that had been lost by one of the small local airlines quickly and safely back into their hands. I am a high end traveller who owns a company where clients expect the best so, especially on vacation, I expect a similar level of service. I was not disappointed.....if I return to Vieques (a beautiful tropical paradise) I will surely book at The W!

• Stayed: December 2012

Hello,

Thank you for sharing a lovely review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a great stay and enjoyed the Retreat. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wonderful, beautiful, relaxing, retreat-like, newish, hotel in PARADISE!

Great romantic retreat property, great for couples and families. The hotel was beautiful, modern yet rustic, and extremely relaxing. The service was impeccable!

Although this is definitely a luxury property, they did a great job of keeping a very informal and low-keyed feel about the place, which my husband and I truly appreciated. We've definitely had enough of going to hotel restaurants and feeling/actually being under dressed in jeans. The W was definitely not a place where you have to dress up, or feel like like you need to do anything but relax and enjoy yourself.

This was our first time traveling without our son since he was born b/c I thought that the hotel/island would not be appropriate for kids/babies. BOY was I wrong! There were tons of young families with kids under 5. There were also a few families with older kids as well, but I could see the hotel getting very boring for kids in their teens. Nevertheless, It seemed like a great place to be with kids, as it wasn't too big, and there was plenty of room and chairs around the pool area and beach. We were there over Thanksgiving, and there was literally not one instance when we could not find a chair and the pool and/or beach. It was marvelous!

As for the island itself, it is very beautiful and undeveloped. It is a nature lovers paradise and although it does smell like horse manure from time to time, the sight of wild horses literally everywhere, is definitely worse that minor inconvenience. Plus, you don't even notice it after about 30 mins on the island. Sounds gross, but its true.

Definitely rent a car and travel around the island. We went to all of the beaches on the tourist map, and on more than one occasion there was nobody else even at the beach. It was amazing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here with the TripAdvisor community... I'm happy to hear you had a wonderful vacation, and that you enjoyed all that Vieques Island has to offer... it is unlike anywhere else in the Caribbean, and that is what we love. We hope to see you back in Vieques again soon.

Warmest Wishes,

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Beautiful beaches and a wonderful setting for a resort. It would be nice if the employees cared a little more about their jobs. Most of the employees would be rejected by the Holiday Inn Express. Ordered room service for an early (0615) pot of coffee and was told that coffee was free in the lobby in 45 minutes and I should wait until then. So much for 24 hour service. A large grease spot remained on the floor of my room for the entire four day stay. The island has the most pristine beaches in the Caribbean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear you encountered service issues, and I will address these with our teams immediately, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the beauty of the resort and Vieques Island, and we hope to see you again soon.

GM - W Vieuqes

Reviewed December 20, 2012

It is somewhere between 4 and 5 stars. The resort is perfect. Everything is very American and the only downside is the coffee. If you want to get away from everything and relax for a few days: this is the right spot. We recommend to fly over instead of taking the ferry. The beaches of the hotel are fantastic. The whole site is clean and quiet. Take a room in houses 1-3 to keep away from the pool area, if you want it REALLY calm. The food is expensive, but it is VERY good! Take a tour to the biobay!

Room Tip: Houses 1-3 are very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
#1 of 4 in Culebra
Bravo Beach Hotel
Bravo Beach Hotel
#4 of 5 in Isla de Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!