“Fun, funky, fabulous with friendly people and spectacular views!”

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Checked in to the W Retreat and Spa for a little rest and relaxation and got so much more than that. A wonderful greeting at the airport in an air-conditioned lounge, lovely transfer to the property and check in went well. Landed in Villa 3 on the 2nd floor at the ocean front. It was absolutely beautiful. My first night I was traveling alone until the rest of the party arrived. The W staff made me feel welcome and safe. I spent the evening in "The Living Room" overlooking the sea where I was served a delicious cold and complimentary tropical cocktail. The atmosphere was nice and encouraged friendly conversation between guests, if they were so inclined It was great for me since I was on my own for the first night. Dinner was a tasty salad with mixed field greens, fresh julienne mango with nuts and a light, but flavorful, vinaigrette followed by some delectable empanadas. The General Manager was on property and went out of his way to see to it that all guests had everything they needed for a great vacation experience. He was instrumental in getting one family's luggage that had been lost by one of the small local airlines quickly and safely back into their hands. I am a high end traveller who owns a company where clients expect the best so, especially on vacation, I expect a similar level of service. I was not disappointed.....if I return to Vieques (a beautiful tropical paradise) I will surely book at The W!

• Stayed: December 2012
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this reviewResponded December 26, 2012

Hello,

Thank you for sharing a lovely review of our hotel here on TripAdvisor. I'm thrilled to hear you had such a great stay and enjoyed the Retreat. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

There are newer reviews for W Retreat & Spa Vieques

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Wonderful, beautiful, relaxing, retreat-like, newish, hotel in PARADISE!

Great romantic retreat property, great for couples and families. The hotel was beautiful, modern yet rustic, and extremely relaxing. The service was impeccable!

Although this is definitely a luxury property, they did a great job of keeping a very informal and low-keyed feel about the place, which my husband and I truly appreciated. We've definitely had enough of going to hotel restaurants and feeling/actually being under dressed in jeans. The W was definitely not a place where you have to dress up, or feel like like you need to do anything but relax and enjoy yourself.

This was our first time traveling without our son since he was born b/c I thought that the hotel/island would not be appropriate for kids/babies. BOY was I wrong! There were tons of young families with kids under 5. There were also a few families with older kids as well, but I could see the hotel getting very boring for kids in their teens. Nevertheless, It seemed like a great place to be with kids, as it wasn't too big, and there was plenty of room and chairs around the pool area and beach. We were there over Thanksgiving, and there was literally not one instance when we could not find a chair and the pool and/or beach. It was marvelous!

As for the island itself, it is very beautiful and undeveloped. It is a nature lovers paradise and although it does smell like horse manure from time to time, the sight of wild horses literally everywhere, is definitely worse that minor inconvenience. Plus, you don't even notice it after about 30 mins on the island. Sounds gross, but its true.

Definitely rent a car and travel around the island. We went to all of the beaches on the tourist map, and on more than one occasion there was nobody else even at the beach. It was amazing.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here with the TripAdvisor community... I'm happy to hear you had a wonderful vacation, and that you enjoyed all that Vieques Island has to offer... it is unlike anywhere else in the Caribbean, and that is what we love. We hope to see you back in Vieques again soon.

Warmest Wishes,

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Beautiful beaches and a wonderful setting for a resort. It would be nice if the employees cared a little more about their jobs. Most of the employees would be rejected by the Holiday Inn Express. Ordered room service for an early (0615) pot of coffee and was told that coffee was free in the lobby in 45 minutes and I should wait until then. So much for 24 hour service. A large grease spot remained on the floor of my room for the entire four day stay. The island has the most pristine beaches in the Caribbean.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear you encountered service issues, and I will address these with our teams immediately, so thank you for bringing it to our attention. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the beauty of the resort and Vieques Island, and we hope to see you again soon.

GM - W Vieuqes

Reviewed December 20, 2012

It is somewhere between 4 and 5 stars. The resort is perfect. Everything is very American and the only downside is the coffee. If you want to get away from everything and relax for a few days: this is the right spot. We recommend to fly over instead of taking the ferry. The beaches of the hotel are fantastic. The whole site is clean and quiet. Take a room in houses 1-3 to keep away from the pool area, if you want it REALLY calm. The food is expensive, but it is VERY good! Take a tour to the biobay!

Room Tip: Houses 1-3 are very quiet.

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed here for business the second week of December. This is NOT a standard hotel, it is an earth friendly mecca with the best staff in the world. No kidding, they all are friendly and it is well worth it. The W is the only resort on the Island but wow what a resort. The view alone is beyond words, from the beaches to the rooms.

I ate on the property, my only choice, but the chef did an outstanding job with great plate presentation. They have an outdoor fire pit area by the beach what fun. I loved the rooms with cool bath tubs and walk in showers. Each night was free drinks and always something going on. This is not a Hilton or Westin but that is fine with me. If you want "cookie cutter" skip it, if you want atmosphere and an interesting building go here. Oh by the way have Vergil take care of you, what a great fun guy!

Room Tip: Get up early and watch the sun rise, have the hotel set you up with dinner in town and the bio-bay t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay, and in particular your experience at Sorce. I'll be sure to share this feedback with the Chef and his teams. We look forward to welcoming you back to Vieques again soon.

Reviewed December 19, 2012

I am an SPG Platinum and travel every week and stay at Four Seasons , Amans,RCs and all high end chains. If you looked on Trip Advisor as we did you may have decided to cancel a visit to this W. Well-things changed- I am sure Starwood looked at the feedback and shook things up because we found our experience very different than others.
Everyone agrees the setting and property is beautiful.
We had a gorgeous room-upgraded- ocean view- what a great way to wake up to the beautiful blue sea.
There are 2 great beaches an 2 lovely pools.
As far as food- was excellent. We did eat offsite one night ( el Quenepo- highly recommend)-
We had 2 dinners and were both times served by Javal-who helped elct local dishes as well as was fast, professional attentive and cared to give us outstanding service. Food and service-top marks.And- we had a nice table over looking the ocean. At breakfast we were served by Jillian.
She had only been there a month from another Starwood property- she was delightful- very helpful with recommendations as well as great service. This W is lucky she moved to the island.
We spent a long weekend chilling here. Did not make it to the Spa- but did hear good things.
Other guests we spoke with equally enjoyed their stay too- So if you are looking for an island retreat- try W Vieques.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view if you can get it!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2012

Hello,

First of all as an SPG Platinum member, thank you for your loyalty to Starwood and our brands. I'm happy to hear you had a great stay with us, and our talent made you feel as welcomed as you did. I will be sure to share your kind words with Jillian and Javal. We would love to welcome you back to Vieques again in the future, and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Since the W is the only "resort" on the island it really is the only choice for those who want a poolside bar, full service spa and nice rooms.
That said the W fell short in a few areas but the poolside service was excellent, the staff friendly and the beach well kept.
The food was average and some dishes were excellent, breakfast is good both from the menu and the buffet and the scenery was beautiful overlooking the beach. In the evenings the fire pit seating is very romantic and a great place to have a drink.
The decoration is nice and in keeping with W hotels sparse decor but somehow has a tropical feel through use of color and furniture choices.
My main reason(s) for the average rating was housekeeping the room was well cleaned but, we had no room service menu, our mini bar was never restocked our entire stay (5 nights) and the waters provided bedside were never replaced after the first night.
The next reason is the spa, terrible really, the pedicure I had was awful and the pedicurist actually rubbed the skin off my ankle as well as being so rough my heel was raw. I get pedicures regularly and have never had to stop a pedicurist from assaulting my foot ! The spa seems to be run like a "mom and pop" facility with limited appointments available and limited staff. There were four in our group all visited the spa at one time or another during the trip and all said the same thing, not well run.
The island is beautiful and the Black Beard sports facility is well run and friendly we had several tours with them and enjoyed them all. The bio Bay tour should not be missed.

In closing we enjoyed the W it had better service and a friendlier staff than any W I have stayed at previously, avoid the spa and do not be afraid to call "whatever, whenever" to get your minibar filled.

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you had an enjoyable vacation with us, but concerned that the Spa did not meet your expectation. I appreciate this feedback and will work with the spa team to improve on what you've mentioned above. We appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you in Vieques again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
Malecon House
Malecon House
#1 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!