“Nice hotel, lacking in service”

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Vancouver, Canada
“Nice hotel, lacking in service”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

upon checkin, the hotel employee neglected to point out details about the resort, such as restaurant hours, pool hours, pool location, gym location, spa location, etc. We had to search the room for the standard book that details all of that info. The room was very nice & modern, however the tub was not at all luxurious or comfy - more for show. The bellboy forgot to bring half of the bags to the room, & mixed up the actual delivery (we had 2 rooms). For a $60/night resort fee, I expected much more in terms of service & amenities. We called several times to get a drink list pricing menu for the items in the room & mini bar, however after 3 nights we still had not received one. The property is beautiful & modern, & it was so cool to hear music in the pool!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank cmariec
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and facilities, but am concerned that you had breakdowns in our service levels. For that I do apologize. Our aim is to exceed the expectations of each and every guest. We do hope to see you back in Vieques again in the future.

GM - W Vieques

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 12, 2012

THIS. IS. IT.

Affordable, remote, beautiful, relaxing and a classic W experience. I planned a corporate retreat for my company to the W resort in Vieques - what an incredible place! The staff was beyond amazing - ask for Ross, he is the BEST! - and the stay was pure luxury. The island is small but insanely beautiful. The food, the service and the atmosphere are top-notch. You won't regret this decision!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear you had such a great time and enjoyed W and the island overall. I'll be sure to personally share your note with Ross. We hope to see you back in Vieques again soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed November 8, 2012

First off, this is my very first review ever on any website, and I felt absolutely compelled to write it given the amazing experience my wife and I had.

We decided to celebrate our honeymoon (on recommendation from her boss) at the W Vieques, and the service was superb from the moment we arrived. The staff at the W airport lounge knew who we were and thanked us for our continuing loyalty to Starwood. Once we got to the resort, we had a gorgeous 1,100 sq/ft suite that made us feel right at home.

The resort was very well manicured, and the staff members were extremely friendly. David, the concierge, knew of our arrival as well and went out of his way to make our experience memorable. Even during his off-days, David and I exchanged text messages to get things set up (e.g., cabana, bio bay, boat cruise, etc.). Of all the concierges I have dealt with during my travels, David was truly the best I have come across. David also made other "wow" worthy accommodations for us given our Platinum status, and we are truly thankful for that.

Food-wise, there aren't that many options on the resort, but the main restaurant Sorce was not bad at all. The food was comparable to NY pricing, but nothing shocking given that it's within the W confines. I would recommend that you rent a jeep (try Avis vs. the Island Rentals on-site...$25-30 cheaper per day) and check out Isabel II and Esperanza to try out some of the local restaurants.

The pool was amazing, and the underwater music was certainly a nice touch. Blaine was one of the main guys working poolside, and he was very helpful as well with drink selections and local dining options. While we explored the island for its many secluded beaches, my wife and I both enjoyed returning to the W pool and spending our hours there.

If there is one thing that I think they could have done a better job with is cleaning our linens and replenishing our soap/shampoo when making our rooms. We had to call and ask for soap/shampoo replenishment when it should have been integrated into the cleaning routine. We also believe they gave us fresh towels, etc. once during our 5 night stay. We never complained, but wanted to point this out.

Overall, we would definitely head back and stay at the W again.

Room Tip: We had a suite with a garden view (1522) and it was a nice quiet spot away from the busy pool area...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dustin1006
Hello,

Thanks for the lovely review here on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled you chose to spend your honeymoon with us in Vieques, and are happy you had a great time and our team made your stay extra special. We would love to welcome you back to the island in the future.

GM W Vieques
Littleton CO
Reviewed November 7, 2012

It is a lovely property. The beach was great as well as the pools. Since this is a luxury property, I fully expected the prices for food and beverages to be high and they were. But the food was very tasty and the beverages were cold. I did not see much of the service issues that I see in many of the reviews. I will say that the folks who worked during the day were by far more interested in being helpful than the night crew who did not seem concerned about satisfying me. The only negative note I would give management is that many of your staff were not very educated about the island itself. Also, they gave out false information such as telling people they had to rent snorkel equipment in Isabel II when it was free from the on site Blackbeard's location. (I overheard that conversation and steered those people in the right direction.)

I had some things happen to me which I think would probably not be duplicated for most so I won't go into details. I will say that Julienne, front desk manager, could not have been more helpful and lovely to work with to resolve the unusual issues that arose.

Room Tip: If noise bothers you, stay away form Room 533. The ice machine in the hall sounds likes it is next t...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience here with the Trip Advisor community. I'm happy to hear you had a great stay and that Julienne went above and beyond to make your stay great. I am concerned with your comment about mis-information, and will address this with our management teams. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. On behalf of everyone at the W, we look forward to welcoming you back to the island in the future.

Greg White,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Rooms are fantastic, scenery is amazing, spa was superb. Only thing that wasn't perfect was that Ws elsewhere have better service... The whole experience was great overall, its just that some of the dining room staff didn't seem thrilled to be serving. Also, the plunge pool has a red emergency phone to order stuff, and we had to beg to get someone to come up and do that. But I would go again a thousand times if I could. You must include the bionay tour and visit other beaches in vieques...

• Stayed September 2012
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor. We're happy to hear you had a great stay with us, but concerned about the service issues you encountered. I will review these items with my team, but we do look forward to welcoming you back to Vieques and the W in the future.

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Beautiful hotel, very helpful staff including David, the conceirge who made sure we didnt miss our flight home! Definately need to check out the bio bay, and the secluded pool for late night "dips". Pool is amazing, love the underwater music.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pool Oasis... very nice and great location
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here with the TripAdvisor community. We're happy to hear you had a great stay, and will be sure to share your kind words with David. We look forward to welcoming you back to Vieques in the future.

Greg White,
GM - W Vieuqes
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

I know it's been 9 months but after staying in 6 other hotels since then, I felt compelled to write about my experience as a honeymooner.
The W is truly a hotel for either honeymooners or older couples that wish to do absolutely nothing but rest and enjoy the scenery. It is a very beautiful hotel, very quiet and romantic.
The hotel itself offers luxury and relaxation period. Thank God the island of Vieques offers a variety of activities for those of us that got bored after the second day at the W.
My husband and I rented a jeep and spent the rest of our one week stay exploring the island and dinning outside of the hotel.
Overall, it was a memorable stay :)

• Stayed December 2011
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We're happy to hear you had a great time and got a good mix of relaxation and adventure. We hope to see you back in Vieques again soon...

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 47 in San Juan
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!