“Great Hotel”

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Except for the poor illumination of the room and some minor problems with the room cleanliness, we had a great time in this hotel. Perfect for couples or for families. Don't expect too many night activities. The night is for couples or for rest. Great restaurant, nice pool with underwater music. The hotel has two beautiful private beaches. Service is A-1. And the island of Vieques has some of the best beaches in the Caribbean; you may need to rent a jeep in order to get to these beaches. It is easy to get around the island with a jeep. Vieques has the best bioluminescent bay in the world, a tour that you can't miss.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for the very kind words about our hotel. We agree, Vieques is a great destination and worth exploring all the hidden gems the island has to offer. We're happy you had a great stay, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

GM - W Vieques

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 22, 2012

My friends and I had a great time at the "W". One of the staff there Dan was soo helpful in advising us of things to do around the island and what the hotel had to offer. Also David was more than helpful with organizing trips for us and dinning off the resort.

The staff at the "W" were great to us. They were accomodating, friendly and informative.

The music under the water in the pool was a great experience, the beach was private and beautiful, the rooms were large and the restaurant was excellent.

My girlfriends and I enjoyed sitting by the fire all night with many selections of wine.

I have to say, I really did enjoy myself and are planning to visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Hello

Thanks for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you and your friends had such a great stay, and that our talent went above and beyond to ensure you had a great time. We'd love to welcome you back to the island, and look forward to your return visit.

Regards,

Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We had wonderful customer service while staying at the W. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I had read mixed reviews about this and I have absolutely no complaints. My only complaint was the cost of the food on the premise. While I knew this was a high end resort, I just wish I had more inexpensive options. If we wanted to eat less expensive options, we did have to go off premises. In all honesty, I was glad we did because we found some local places that were wonderful.

1 Thank mariastax
Hello

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We are happy to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed the retreat and its amenities. I am sorry to hear you felt the menu items were too expensive. We have made efforts to offer daily specials in Sorcé and meal options at the W Cafe. We hope to see you back in Vieques again soon.

Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed October 18, 2012

W Retreat & Spa in Vieques is one of the most beautiful resorts I have ever stayed in! It is wonderfully decorated and the staff was so accomodating. I read the reviews before we came and I can say that we NEVER experienced anything negative during our stay. I am not sure where some of these negatives comments even came from because it was nothing but perfect in my mind.

The room was beautiful with excellent views of the pool and ocean. We never once saw the housekeeping staff but our room was always clean when we came in from the day and had turn down service in the evening. The beaches were excellent too. I prefered Whisper Beach just because it was a little more secluded. I was amazed that the snorkleing was really great just right off the beach. My husband doesn't enjoy snorkling as much as I do, but he liked how easy it was just to walk right in the water and start swimming with coral reefs and fish just steps away.

We went during "Hurricane Season" but the weather was never an issue. It was overcast one day but that was it. I actually enjoyed the fact that the resort wasn't crowded. Felt like we had the place to our self.

George picked us up from the airport and he really got our vacation started right. We was very accomodating and willing to help in anyway. Arturo checked us in at the front desk and he was just as wonderful! He was very informative, professional and made us feel like we weren't just a room number, yet an important guest.

Food and drinks were pretty expensive, but we expected that so it didn't impact us in a negative way. If you want to cut back on the cost of food/drinks, bring a cooler or buy one from the W and go to the grocery store to fill it. We actually went off property a lot to eat and drink and enjoy the Puerto Rican culture. We did eat breakfast at Sorce and it was amazing! Get the French Toast with carmalized plantain on top!

I enjoyed every minute of this vacation and I can not wait to come back. This property is well managed and is in pristine condition. I wish I remembered all the associates names that we had encounters with. Everyone was just wonderful and they all seemed happy to work there.

Don't get caught up on the negative reviews, if you want a secluded getaway with beautiful beaches, an awesome pool and cool staff come to this resort!

P.S. I work for a resort so I tend to be a little tough and pay attention to all the little details. I am 100% confident is saying that managements knows what they are doing here! This place is truly amazing.

Room Tip: We stayed in Building 8 with views of the pool and ocean. It was a great location. Next time, I mig...
1 Thank Megan1015
Hello,

From one hotelier to another, I really appreciate your kind words and am happy to hear you had a great stay. We aim to exceed the expectations of each and every one of our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to Vieques again soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

The hotel did an amazing job of keeping the guests informed, getting people off the island if they needed to catch flights and overall hurricane preparedness was excellent. Once th immediate threat passed they resort was re-decorated, everything out back in place as if nothing had happened. It was amazing.
Susan is a great new addition to the team at the W!!! Don't let her get away!

• Stayed August 2012
Hello,

Thanks for the very kind words on our hotel and the response to the weather. While we always hope these storms stay far away, we are prepared and able to easily deal with what Mother Nature sends our way. Happy to hear you were still able to enjoy your vacation. We look forward to welcoming you back to Vieques.

Ascoli Piceno, Italy
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Great job made by Patricia Urqiola! This Spanish interior designer put color everywhere, over a base of classy grey! Two private beaches, one long swimming pool, full of nice people, and good food. I suggest to visit Esperanza and the beautiful Sun Bay. Peaceful place, just sunbath and relax!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Hello,

Thanks for your kind words about our property. We agree, Patricia did a wonderful job of bringing the vibrant colors of Puerto Rico to life with the design. We hope to see you back in Vieques again in the future.

Boston
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This has got to be the most poorly managed hotel we have ever stayed in.

After having a wonderful time in January (and overlooking some short-comings because we enjoyed the laid back atmosphere and can-do attitude), we decided to spend eight nights here in July. It was eight nights too many. We reserved he best room in the house, on the "quiet side" with a view of the Atlantic.

On our way to our room after checking in, I noticed a 6-foot-by-4-foot door to utility cabinet housing unsightly irrigation valves open on the side of the building. i said to may partner: "If that door is not shut by morning, it will stay open all week and it means no one cares, no one is paying attention and the manager is not walking his property daily." The door stayed open for eight nights and nine days. Enough said.

First room: safe did not work and AC sounded like a freight train. When we inquired about the safe we were told it could not be fixed until Thursday (this was Monday) and we should leave our valuables and cash at the front desk. (Not an option; it would be like asking your parents for money every time you want to go out. Plus, I like to lock up the iPad and phones, etc.)

Second room: very-low-watt lightbulbs in the bedside lamps (40s or 60s, i forget). The rooms are on the dark side as it is, but on a 9-day vacation, I have a stack of books I want to read and part of that reading happens in bed. Let's face it, we're not all on our honeymoon, OK? I asked for a brighter bulb. Nothing. To make a very long story shortZ: the hotel came up first with very blue compact fluorescent bulbs and then when we questioned these, dim incandescents came back. The only way we could read for the trip at night was to take the lamp shades off the lamps and place one lamp atop our cooler and the other atop a turned-over waste basket. And the hotel staff telephones the room incessantly to ask, "is everything Wonderful?"

Toward the end of our stay (last day) we stopped at the front desk to chat about check-out. The nice woman there said, "Oh! I am glad you stopped by. We have your welcome drink cards for you!" Well, uhm, thanks, but this is the END of my vacation, and I have already over-indulged, and much of this over-indulgence has occurred at your bar where Old Fashioneds are about $16 apiece, before tip. So on check out I asks the Welcome Desk gent to just credit my account the cost of 4 cocktails (we had 4 drink coupons). "OK, so drinks are about $10 each, right?" he smiles, offering to take a $35 charge off my bill. "Uh, no, drinks are $16..." Between this situation and a pool charge that was not ours, it took me several emails over a week after returning home to make sure the credits were issued. As a courtesy the hotel credited my some extra "Starpoints." But check Starwood's website: you need far more than 10,000 Starpoints to stay anywhere decent for a night.

Some other random issues:
The pool was very busy during our stay as a result of a promotion the hotel ran for main islanders. So you would think thy would be extra vigilant about making towels available to guests. Towels were often not available and water stations empty or with no glasses. One day after a heavy overnight rain, many of the chaises by the pool were soaked and holding substantial puddles. And by now it was noon. I asked a server why no one from the hotel was making an effort to flip the cushions and make the chaises usable and inviting for guests. She did not know and did not bother to do it. (and by the way, many pool chaises have no mattresses.) The pool, suffice it to say, is very self service. Think Holiday Inn and you can only be happy when it gets better than that. Again, I have to ask myself, does the manager ever walk this property and take a look around?

And the answer to that question is no. The hotel Living Room has large oversized beds on the verandah, and two are very pleasant places to sip a cocktail and watch the sun set. In January these beds had nice, outdoor quality heavy upholstery. In July they had white sheets. I peeked under a sheet and saw only foam rubber. The sheets were not changed for days. One had a really unsightly brown-ish stain where someone had ben sitting. They were also covered with sand and damp. One evening I finally asked a server why they were never changed as I would like to use one. She called housekeeping and about 75 minutes later new sheets appeared -- too late for my use but someone benefited. I am guessing here but maybe the upholstery was out being cleaned or re-made. But if a hotel has one thing and only one thing, it is lots of white sheets. Why not a standing order from the manager that the sheets on this public seating get changed every couple of hours. Where is the manager?? Certainly not taking an interest in the property.

And a quick note about food. Dine here at your own risk. Stick to bagels and cereal and fruit salad and yogurt and granola. I ordered a bagel with smoked salmon one morning before going sailing and the salmon was so salty it was practically inedible. We ate it only because our sail boat was anchoring and we knew we needed to eat.

One bright spot was the housekeeping staff. They were pleasant and kept our room in great shape. It is a shame the hotel just cannot measure up.

I am disappointed, to say the least. This was a week of our life and several thousand dollars we will never get back. Vieques is a lovely island and it was nice to think there was a full service hotel with amenities to keep us coming back. It will not be here. The search continues.

Room Tip: Choose a deluxe (spectacular category?) room on the west side of the compound if you must stay here...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Hacienda Tamarindo
Hacienda Tamarindo
#2 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!