“Amazing views and accommodations” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Retreat & Spa Vieques

W Retreat & Spa Vieques
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Amazing views and accommodations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had an amazing time here for our anniversary, even though we got into our rooms late the staff Normita and Wade was extremely accommodating and making sure we were comfortable while waiting. The view from the rooms and the pool and even the restaurant was breathtaking.

In addition, David the concierge was also very helpful in recommending things to do and getting our transportation ready. They also have a restaurant there named Sorce where the food was pretty good and the staff was exceptional.

*tip - bring bug spray when you go to the beach

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here with the Trip Advisor community. We are happy to hear you had an amazing time, and that our Welcome Office team made sure the wait for your room did not damper your mood. We appreciate your understanding and hope to see you back in Vieques again soon!

GM - W Vieques

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

We didn't stay here but came for sunset drinks and dinner at their newly renamed restaurant. Drinks were very good and the sunset view from their lounge area is not to be missed. Their restaurant on the other hand left a lot to be desired for the prices they charge. I had probably the worst red snapper I've ever had at this restaurant. Grounds seemed well kept and everyone was very nice at the hotel. Go for the Drinks but eat somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank gijenn1000
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit, but concerned that your experience at Sorcé did not meet your expectations. We are constantly evolving our menus, so we do hope you'll come back again in the future.

Regards,

Greg White,
Innsbruck
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed there twice and really loved it. We will hopefully be back this year. The location is great, the architecture is great, the rooms are large and ok. Most of the staff is really friendly, service at the restaurant though is not quite up to expectations.
Overall great times.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Brunogeniesser
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for your continued support of our hotel, we love to welcome repeat guests back to the island and W Vieques. I'm happy to hear you had a great stay, but do apologize for service issues you encountered in the restaurant. We look forward to seeing you back in Vieques again soon.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

As soon you walk in, you can feel that the hotel is short in personnel. They only had one ambassador taking care of all the people checking in. He definitely needed help.We bought a local offer called Gustazos, two nights plus 75 dollar voucher for the ONLY restaurant Source, and a 50 dollars voucher for the spa. This is the situation; we are business owners here at the big island,PR,and we travel and stay in hotels enough times a year to know what a good, poor and excellent service is.We were thinking of inviting some of our clients to the W Vieques a while ago, but before taking that step, we ask various of our close friends for their overall experience. ALL of them said exactly what we experienced on our visit. The food in the hotel is extremely bad, and the service, non existent. We can try to understand that this is slow season for hotels, but that definitely doesn't excuse for the W Hotel,one of the most expensive hotels in the area, to think this is in some way acceptable. Thank God we found that offer and had the opportunity to visit the place before bringing our demanding clients and actually spending the regular rate. Its absurd that the ONLY restaurant available is so bad and overpriced, that we decided to take a cab to town to have a decent lunch, dinner, etc. For our surprise, we weren't alone. We met a couple of guests that where staying at the hotel time that us at the place we went to eat. This people where paying the regular rate. Real tourists, the heart of your operation. So disappointing to hear them talk so bad about this place located in our island. Don't take me wrong, the structure,decoration, and location are out of this world, but in order for the regular rate make sense, you cant offer your guests half the pie. We know about this business, and by the way this place its being managed,its days our counted. Same sad story of the luxury St Reggis hotel in Rio Grande, PR. We always take time to give our feedback,good or bad, this time definitely bad. We would love to go back just for the peace full location, but if the service and quality of food doesn't get better, we will only go when special offers are available until it closes. Best, Agustin Rodriguez. agustinrodriguez8@gmail.com. 787-244-2145

Room Tip: Ocean View
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Obi M
Hello There,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here with the TripAdvisor community. We appreciate the positive and negative comments alike, as it helps us improve our service levels. We are very disappointed to hear the experience did not exceed your expectations, and in particular Sorce. We are proud of the new concept we have launched, and feel our prices and menu offerings are in line with both the experience and the destination. We do hope you will come back to Vieques again in the future, as we would love to welcome you back as guests.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

From the minute I arrived onto this property, I wanted to quit my job, pack up the husband and the dog and move into my suite and never look back. I was totally transfixed by the beauty, service, food and awesome cocktails at this resort. I was here on business, checking out the property for my clients (I am an event planner). The hospitality was outstanding here. I seriously felt like a celebrity the whole 3 days I was there. Do not miss the spa which is the most amazing experience! From the housekeeping, to servers, to bartenders to just about anyone you meet on this resort you are treated so well. Everyone just seems happy to be working there and that shines in their customer service. If fact, even the wild horses seem happy here!
I was able to meet the chefs and all the people involved in planning events there. They too were fantastic. This location is just perfect for a romantic wedding on the beach or on the cliff overlooking the main island of Puerto Rico. Or for a corporate incentive event or any event really. I want to have my next big birthday party here for sure.
Make sure to rent a car and go explore Vieques. The hidden beaches are just some of the most beautiful beaches I have seen.
This resort is just perfection!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Grohe
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here with the TripAdvisor community. We are thrilled that you had such a great stay and the W exceeded your expectations. We are an excellent choice for destination events and we look forward to partnering with you on these opportunities.

Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I loved, loved, loved this hotel.... It is ideal for couples who are looking for a mix of quiet, peaceful, luxurious relaxation with the option of being able to easily travel just outside of the resort to do really fun, outdoors activities as well (horseback riding, snorkeling, kayaking the biobay were all amazing, not far from the resort, and easily accessed by a short taxi ride- I think our cab driver's name was Eddie and he runs the jeep taxis on the Island- I highly recommend him!). The resort pool area, private beaches (albeit small beaches), and restaurant (sorce) were all beautiful and had wonderful service. The spa was lackluster to me both in range of services provided as well as quality of service (esp. for the price). That is probably my only valid, minor complaint about the resort. If you're more concerned with spa-ing it, then go somewhere else. There is much more to do on this island and at the resort than getting spa treatments anyway. I also wish the Resort had a hot tub that was accessible to hotel guests other than within the realm of getting a couples massage/package thing at the spa (which we did not do), but this is just something I would have liked and the lack of a hot tub did not detract in any way, shape, or form from the quality of our stay. The food is a little pricey, but I read the same prior to booking our trip so when I saw the prices on the menus, I wasn't shocked. The prices are actually very consistent with the food at most "luxury" resorts I have ever been to if perhaps not even very slightly cheaper even. The food was good at the restaurant as well as when we ordered room service..... or even got food served to us on the beach or poolside. It wasn't the most impressive food I've ever had in my life, but it was good, I enjoyed it, and I cannot say anything negative about it. If you want to do a fine dining trip, you should go to another location other than Vieques anyway. The island's charms are wonderful and far outweigh maybe not eating the most amazing meals of your life. The restaurant (sorce) was nice and the food was good, but as much as I love good food, I was more preoccupied with just relaxing at the pool or at the beach and enjoying all of the nature-related activities on the island than worrying about having the fine-dining experience of a lifetime anyway. I thought they had a really fun drink menu with every type of fun rum drink you could probably think of! Every time we ordered food or drinks from anywhere in the resort, we received excellent, very prompt service. The pool gets a little busy at times so you might have to wait a little bit during those times for the server to bring your drink, but I did not feel that there were inordinately long waits based on the amount of people being served. I didn't ever think the pool was ever overcrowded either. It is not the sort of resort I would bring younger kids to. I rarely saw any children while we were there, but when I did, they were making a lot of noise and it just wasn't the crowd to do that with because everyone else was quietly relaxing at the pool or the beach. In fairness to the kids, they were probably bored because this resort isn't geared towards entertaining them. Take kids to the Waldorf back on the main island or I would rent a house on Vieques instead of staying at the W if traveling with them. Teenagers would probably enjoy the W and they do have kayaks and snorkel gear at the hotel if they got tired of lying around by the pool or on the beach. We had an oceanview room with a king bed and it truly lived up to the description. I am glad we were on that side of the resort and I don't know what the difference in price would have been if we stayed in the rooms by the pool that are cheaper, but whatever it was extra for where we were was well worth it. Our views were amazing and the room was quiet, well-kept, spacious, and very romantic. We LOVED it. When we first arrived and checked in, our first room had a weird kind of dampish smell to me (admittedly, I have a really sensitive sense of smell) and although I think we could have dealt with it, the hotel staff immediately without any wait or hassle moved us to another room that was just as (if not more) beautiful. I really appreciated the hotel staff's concern for my comfort and quick response to make sure that I was satisfied with the room. It meant a lot to me and they did not ever disappoint me with the service we received throughout our entire stay. The private W hotel lounge at the airport and the shuttle service to and from the airport were a really nice touch! The sunsets and sunrises were my favorite part of our time at the resort as the views were unbelievably beautiful. The style of the hotel and W's attention to detail in the decorating it were something I didn't really think all the pictures I saw prior to booking our stay really did justice. It was more beautiful than any of the pictures I saw on this website, the W website, or Expedia's website. The Hotel exceeded my expectations. Overall, I would and have already highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view room... Quieter. Also, an upstairs room will give you the best views!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Snow_loves_the_beach
Hello,

Thanks for such a wonderful review of your stay with us. We are delighted to hear your experience exceeded your expectations, and we'd love to welcome you back to Vieques again in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Extraordinary, tropical paradise. From the initial planning of this vacation to the last moments on this charming island, the warmth and ease of dealing with the W Retreat & Spa's staff made this journey exceed all expectations. Beginning with connecting with concierge David Maldonado, a native of the island and extremely knowlegeable resident. Every excursion, including kayaking, snorkeling, horseback riding, and one awesome ride in a glider, was managed in detail within our time frame. David is an extraordinary professional, his passion for all the island has to offer, spilling over into his passion for educating us about Vieques.
One of the management team, Wade, was equally priceless. During our weeklong stay, he attended to every crazy detail this girl could come up with including mailing my postcards! His thoughtful attention to assuring this vacation fulfilled and exceeded my expectations is something I will always remember.
I wish I was better at remembering names, because there were so many awesome staff! This vacation was the absolute best! I would recommend Vieques to anyone wanting or needing a complete chillax and rejuvenation! And noone does it like the W!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Patti O
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hello,

We are thrilled to hear you had such a great stay with us, and that our staff went above and beyond to make it that much more memorable. We will be sure to share this lovely feedback with David and Wade. We'd love to see you back in paradise, so until then...

Greg White,
Hotel El Convento
Hotel El Convento
#2 of 46 in San Juan
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,612 reviews

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!