“Perfection in Vieques”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfection in Vieques”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

From the minute I arrived onto this property, I wanted to quit my job, pack up the husband and the dog and move into my suite and never look back. I was totally transfixed by the beauty, service, food and awesome cocktails at this resort. I was here on business, checking out the property for my clients (I am an event planner). The hospitality was outstanding here. I seriously felt like a celebrity the whole 3 days I was there. Do not miss the spa which is the most amazing experience! From the housekeeping, to servers, to bartenders to just about anyone you meet on this resort you are treated so well. Everyone just seems happy to be working there and that shines in their customer service. If fact, even the wild horses seem happy here!
I was able to meet the chefs and all the people involved in planning events there. They too were fantastic. This location is just perfect for a romantic wedding on the beach or on the cliff overlooking the main island of Puerto Rico. Or for a corporate incentive event or any event really. I want to have my next big birthday party here for sure.
Make sure to rent a car and go explore Vieques. The hidden beaches are just some of the most beautiful beaches I have seen.
This resort is just perfection!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Grohe
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here with the TripAdvisor community. We are thrilled that you had such a great stay and the W exceeded your expectations. We are an excellent choice for destination events and we look forward to partnering with you on these opportunities.

GM - W Vieques

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (512)
Orlando, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I loved, loved, loved this hotel.... It is ideal for couples who are looking for a mix of quiet, peaceful, luxurious relaxation with the option of being able to easily travel just outside of the resort to do really fun, outdoors activities as well (horseback riding, snorkeling, kayaking the biobay were all amazing, not far from the resort, and easily accessed by a short taxi ride- I think our cab driver's name was Eddie and he runs the jeep taxis on the Island- I highly recommend him!). The resort pool area, private beaches (albeit small beaches), and restaurant (sorce) were all beautiful and had wonderful service. The spa was lackluster to me both in range of services provided as well as quality of service (esp. for the price). That is probably my only valid, minor complaint about the resort. If you're more concerned with spa-ing it, then go somewhere else. There is much more to do on this island and at the resort than getting spa treatments anyway. I also wish the Resort had a hot tub that was accessible to hotel guests other than within the realm of getting a couples massage/package thing at the spa (which we did not do), but this is just something I would have liked and the lack of a hot tub did not detract in any way, shape, or form from the quality of our stay. The food is a little pricey, but I read the same prior to booking our trip so when I saw the prices on the menus, I wasn't shocked. The prices are actually very consistent with the food at most "luxury" resorts I have ever been to if perhaps not even very slightly cheaper even. The food was good at the restaurant as well as when we ordered room service..... or even got food served to us on the beach or poolside. It wasn't the most impressive food I've ever had in my life, but it was good, I enjoyed it, and I cannot say anything negative about it. If you want to do a fine dining trip, you should go to another location other than Vieques anyway. The island's charms are wonderful and far outweigh maybe not eating the most amazing meals of your life. The restaurant (sorce) was nice and the food was good, but as much as I love good food, I was more preoccupied with just relaxing at the pool or at the beach and enjoying all of the nature-related activities on the island than worrying about having the fine-dining experience of a lifetime anyway. I thought they had a really fun drink menu with every type of fun rum drink you could probably think of! Every time we ordered food or drinks from anywhere in the resort, we received excellent, very prompt service. The pool gets a little busy at times so you might have to wait a little bit during those times for the server to bring your drink, but I did not feel that there were inordinately long waits based on the amount of people being served. I didn't ever think the pool was ever overcrowded either. It is not the sort of resort I would bring younger kids to. I rarely saw any children while we were there, but when I did, they were making a lot of noise and it just wasn't the crowd to do that with because everyone else was quietly relaxing at the pool or the beach. In fairness to the kids, they were probably bored because this resort isn't geared towards entertaining them. Take kids to the Waldorf back on the main island or I would rent a house on Vieques instead of staying at the W if traveling with them. Teenagers would probably enjoy the W and they do have kayaks and snorkel gear at the hotel if they got tired of lying around by the pool or on the beach. We had an oceanview room with a king bed and it truly lived up to the description. I am glad we were on that side of the resort and I don't know what the difference in price would have been if we stayed in the rooms by the pool that are cheaper, but whatever it was extra for where we were was well worth it. Our views were amazing and the room was quiet, well-kept, spacious, and very romantic. We LOVED it. When we first arrived and checked in, our first room had a weird kind of dampish smell to me (admittedly, I have a really sensitive sense of smell) and although I think we could have dealt with it, the hotel staff immediately without any wait or hassle moved us to another room that was just as (if not more) beautiful. I really appreciated the hotel staff's concern for my comfort and quick response to make sure that I was satisfied with the room. It meant a lot to me and they did not ever disappoint me with the service we received throughout our entire stay. The private W hotel lounge at the airport and the shuttle service to and from the airport were a really nice touch! The sunsets and sunrises were my favorite part of our time at the resort as the views were unbelievably beautiful. The style of the hotel and W's attention to detail in the decorating it were something I didn't really think all the pictures I saw prior to booking our stay really did justice. It was more beautiful than any of the pictures I saw on this website, the W website, or Expedia's website. The Hotel exceeded my expectations. Overall, I would and have already highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Get the ocean view room... Quieter. Also, an upstairs room will give you the best views!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Snow_loves_the_beach
Hello,

Thanks for such a wonderful review of your stay with us. We are delighted to hear your experience exceeded your expectations, and we'd love to welcome you back to Vieques again in the future.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Extraordinary, tropical paradise. From the initial planning of this vacation to the last moments on this charming island, the warmth and ease of dealing with the W Retreat & Spa's staff made this journey exceed all expectations. Beginning with connecting with concierge David Maldonado, a native of the island and extremely knowlegeable resident. Every excursion, including kayaking, snorkeling, horseback riding, and one awesome ride in a glider, was managed in detail within our time frame. David is an extraordinary professional, his passion for all the island has to offer, spilling over into his passion for educating us about Vieques.
One of the management team, Wade, was equally priceless. During our weeklong stay, he attended to every crazy detail this girl could come up with including mailing my postcards! His thoughtful attention to assuring this vacation fulfilled and exceeded my expectations is something I will always remember.
I wish I was better at remembering names, because there were so many awesome staff! This vacation was the absolute best! I would recommend Vieques to anyone wanting or needing a complete chillax and rejuvenation! And noone does it like the W!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Patti O
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hello,

We are thrilled to hear you had such a great stay with us, and that our staff went above and beyond to make it that much more memorable. We will be sure to share this lovely feedback with David and Wade. We'd love to see you back in paradise, so until then...

Greg White,
Malden, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I honeymooned at this resort and we had a lovely time. The reason we enjoyed it so much was the staff. Yaritza, the concierge, was incredibly helpful and professional. Georgie fixed us a drink upon our arrival at the airport (what a guy!). Arelise, the bartender at the hotel, was fun to talk to and gave us lots of tips on what to see, etc.! Jesus served us by the pool and was also very friendly and professional. Overall we were impressed by the quality of service and kindness. Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the suite.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JohntGriffith
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share your great feedback here with the Trip Advisor community. We are all thrilled to hear you had a great honeymoon in Vieques, and that our team were a part of what made it so great. We have a wonderful staff here in Vieques, and we're happy they were able to help share the secrets of what makes Vieques so special.

We'd love to welcome you back to the island again in the future, and congratulations to you and your new wife!!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Service exceptional.
David our concierge was outstanding
friendly, helpful and kind. So organized !
Wade the afternoon manager helped with any detail. I was walking by myself and he got a lighted lantern for me to carry ;)
I was so happy with the both of this employees and their professionalism.
Blaine the pool waiter was super too!
Thanks Everyone
We stayed at the W in Vieques.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank LMansoor
Hello,

Thanks for sharing such nice comments about our service and staff... we're happy to hear they went above and beyond to make your stay great. I'll be sure to share this feedback with Wade, David, and Blaine. We look forward to seeing you back in Vieques!

Greg White,
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed in the W this past weekend. It took me like 5 hours to understand the real atmosphere in there. Everything in there has a nice touch of art-deco, so if you are looking for inspirational and relaxing environment this is the place to be.

Also, you will find very romantic rooms, with a everything in it. I stayed in the 635, with a bathtub and separated shower. Water was hot, and fridge was full of beers, snacks, juices and everything you will imagine.

When around the pool visit Wet, the pool bar. Ask for Robert, that in just a couple of hours make us staying more comfortable. He is a rockstar on the bar, and fix us a couple of tropical cocktails very very nice.

In the lobby you will get lucky with Pablo, another guy that make us staying really really great.

Overall the service is excelent, they also remember my name and birthday, thats not a plus, thats a detail.

The restaurant was not really superawesome. It was good, but wasnt at the level of the rest the W show us.

I will comeback for sure here, maybe for new years eve.

Room Tip: 635 pool and sea view!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ariel D
Hello,

Thanks for your kind feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the true retreat experience and enjoyed all that the W has to offer. We will be sure to share your feedback with Robert and Pablo, and we look forward to seeing you back in Vieques in the future.

Rio Grande, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We are Starwood Members and this hotel CANNOT be compared to St Regis in Rio Grande, sadly. The service is poor. We stayed three days and only ONE member of the staff said Hello in the morning. We wanted to have a massage and booked one day earlier and when we arrived to the appointement they said it was canceled because they did not have enought staff!!!! We were really sad by this. They did not offered us other options. Our phones were dead and the bathroom door was broken. The front of our rooms where dirty and even the mantainance closet was opened as a safety hazard for our 5 year old nephew. In the restaurant the service was terrible. We went to have breakfast, which was in fact delicious, and after 15 minutes seated someone came to offer us coffe. The pool is nice, especially with the underwater music. We used the kayaks and played volleyball. Good thing is the Jeep rental right inside the hotel. Vieques is beautiful and the beaches are amazing. But this W is not what a W should be.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are a must!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa Vieques, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry that the service you encountered did not exceed your expectations, and I'll be working with our teams to address these issues. We want every guest interaction to be a memorable one, so I do apologize if this was not what you experienced. We do hope you'll visit us again in Vieques.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Isla de Vieques
#2 of 47 in San Juan
Hacienda Tamarindo
Hacienda Tamarindo
#2 of 6 in Isla de Vieques

Been to W Retreat & Spa Vieques? Share your experiences!