“Romantic Anniversary Getaway Weekend”

W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Isla de Vieques
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just got back from a fabulous weekend at the W Vieques.

The positive: Like most have already said, the decor is beautiful and the views are breathtaking. The hotel has been well done and is very romantic for any couple looking to getaway. Definitely an adults only resort, not much for kids to do other than annoy adults looking for some well needed alone time :-). However, there is an adults only beach which is an awesome idea, we definitely took advantage of it and loved every minute of it! Food and drinks were pricey, but expected for a W. We enjoyed both so no complaints here. Rooms were clean & spacious and beds were very comfortable. The staff (Susan) in particular were great and David at the conceirge desk was extremely knowledgable in directing our excursions. The BioBay is a must do.

The negatives: We did not get to enjoy the W Lounge upon arriving or departing the Island, not sure why, but it was closed both times. Check in was a little disappointing too. We arrived at the hotel 9:30am to maximize our anniversary, and although we were told we would be accomodated for early check in as it was off season, (normal time is 4pm), we were not. It was 4:30pm and we were still awaiting a room. At the very least we felt we should have been extended a later checkout time other than 11am which is very earlier, our departure time wasn't until 5:30pm. Like another reviewer noted, we too had a small area in our shower ceiling (room 514) which had some damage due to mildew but I'm sure if reported by housekeeping it would be an easy fix.

All and all, we had a great time and would definitely return again. We won't bring our kids, but will definitely return with some friends.

Room Tip: We opted for a pool oasis king room rather than the romantic rooms on opposite sides of the resort...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NHENDERSON08822
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here with the Trip Advisor community. We're happy to hear you had a fabulous time with us and had a wonderfully romantic getaway. We will be sure to pass along the feedback to David and Susan. We are sorry to hear you experienced a few service issues while with us, but are happy you had an overall great stay and we look forward to seeing you in Vieques again in the future.

GM - W Vieques

Write a ReviewReviews (1,843)

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I went here with my fiance for about a 5 night stay. When we first arrived we were taken by the beauty of the property. The interior design and architecture looks much better in person than it does online. The pool is perfectly located and the beach is perfect. There were two lovely ladies who I don't know their name but they did not seem to be from the Island but brought in from other Starwood Properties.

That's where the perfection ended. The W Cafe sucks and is manned by a surly young lady that seemed to be bothered by anyone's mere presence. That continues the theme of the service most of the staff were more interested in chit chatting amongst themselves than helping any customers. There is no need for me to go into a long diatribe about what bad service means, as others have detailed at length but the service was so bad that the Island soon lost all of its charm. There isn't a whole lot to do there so when you are surrounded by indifferent local staff it turns you off to the whole island.

There are about 5 great members of the staff there...but they are clearly not from the island and they were amazing but not enough to overcompensate for the gaps in service, overpriced food and horrific service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank iamheatseeker
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your feedback here on Trip Advisor. Let me first apologize for any breakdowns in service you encountered. Our goal is to provide the best possible service to each and every guest, so I am sorry to hear many of your interactions left a lot to be desired. We are addressing your concerns internally, but thank you for the feedback.

Greg White

Reviewed September 10, 2012

This property is beautiful and everything that a W should be. I would definitely visit this property again, but the main reason for this review is to praise Aisha that was our server for several nights in the Living Room. She made the stay for my friends and me. She was so much fun and very helpful with insights about the island and always delivering impeccable service. Aisha is amazing!!! Thank you for making our staying fantastic, Aisha!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
WVieques, General Manager at W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to share this here on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear Aisha went above and beyond to provide great service. We will be sure to share this with her, and look forward to seeing you back in Vieques.

Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here over labor weekend for a corporate event and truly had a wonderful stay.
Our only problem was pool/beach towels were lacking all weekend long. We had a insect problem in our room which the resort solved imediately, didnt mind it since we were in a garden room.

• Stayed: September 2012

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor. We're happy you and your group had a great stay with us, but we do apologize again for the towel issues we dealt with over the holiday weekend. We hope to welcome you back to Vieques again soon!

Greg White

Reviewed September 8, 2012

The W Vieques is a beautiful location with access to amazing beaches -- but little else. We haven't had hot water for 2 days and have no water at all in our shower. The food is lackluster, and there's very little ability to cater for the health conscious, vegetarians, or gluten-free eaters. On both counts, the staff has been less than impressive in their service orientation. Glad we're staying here on points, as there's no way this W (like so many!) is worth the money. Also, wanted to share that Cape Air -- the airline that brings you from San Juan to Vieques -- cancels flights on a whim, even after checking you in and sending you through security. Overall, our Vieques experience has been marked by levels of service well below the prices charged and promises given, which is a shame, as Vieques itself is an off-the-beaten-path gem. If you want to visit Puerto Rico and stay at a Starwood property, you're much better off at the St. Regis!

Room Tip: Ask for an ocean-view villa room by "Whisper Beach"
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Morningside13

Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor. We appreciate both the positive and negative reviews alike, as it helps us improve our service. I'm disappointed to hear your experience did not exceed your expectations. We did experience a broken pipe while you were with us, and we are sorry for the water issues you experienced. We would love to welcome you back to Vieques.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

The W hotel at Vieques apparently entered too soon into the downward curve. Awful service, employees who seem disoriented about everuthing just to start...I recently stayed here and right at check in they told me there was no water service in the hotel because a pipeline had broken...ok I can understand that....so no a/c for several hours in the hot PR summer. The description of my roon clearly said it came with a minibar and to my surprise there was no minibar. Not even a small bottle of water was available at the room. I called the "whatever whenever" service and they promised stock the minibar soon, I left the room for several hours and after I came back....nothing...my room was far away from the hotel bar and they pretended that I walk o the bar everytime I had to sip something...despite being included in my rate. The ONLY restaurant at the premises...who by the way is far away fom any other settlement of civilization can not accomodate all guests...so there is a possibility you will not get a decent meal. I almost begged that they will make an exception and serve me food seated anywhere in the lobby. All my complaints were treated with apathy from the hotel staff even though I ave been a starwood gold member for several years. DONT COME HERE! Thats my advise.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Billymendez

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. We are sorry to hear your stay did not meet your expectation, but we have addressed these concerns and would like to welcome you back to Vieques again and will ensure you have a positive experience.

Regards,

Reviewed September 6, 2012

First, my wife and I had an amazing stay in Vieques and the W Retreat & Spa met all of our expectations. We were there the first week of August. I think it's important to set appropriate expectations. I'm not sure what people expect from a hotel but The W delivers on what a hotel in this category should. Although $300 is not an insignificant amount of money, it's certainly not extravagant. This is not a Four Seasons, St. Regis or Banyan Tree Resort and you’re not paying the $600 plus room rates you pay at those resorts so you shouldn't expect that type of service. What the W delivers is a very relaxing and hip atmosphere on a beautiful island with friendly and accommodating service. The WIFI throughout the resort was a great plus. If I had a complaint I would say I was surprised by the number of families at the hotel. Obviously this is not the hotel's fault and any issues I had were more with the parents who allow their kids to scream and do cannon-balls into the pool. It's not conducive to young children. The pool area is smaller so it doesn't take a lot of loud youngsters to disturb other guest. I think this actually could have been negated had the W played music in the pool area. I personally enjoy the "W soundtrack" while relaxing at the pool at other W hotels and was somewhat surprised there was no music. This wasn't a major concern but something I noticed.

Rooms: We were in room 924 and found the space extremely cool and comfortable. Our view of the pool and ocean were incredible. Our maid service was surprisingly good as I was expecting slow and/or late service based on earlier reviews and my past experience with Caribbean resorts. Our room was always cleaned before 2:00 w/ fresh towels, new amenities and clean organized room.

Food: Again, I'm not sure how much people travel but the prices are very much in line with hotels and resort pricing. I was actually pleasantly surprised but the prices at the Cafe. Very good options for a light breakfast and lunch. The drink prices, although high, are what you expect from a resort in the Caribbean. It's not an all-inclusive so I can see people having sticker shock if the intend on drinking all day at the pool. This is not that type of hotel. Most people at this hotel are not looking for that type of vacation. They recently changed the restaurant from Mix to Sorce and modified the menu. Less French and more Puerto Rican inspired dishes. My wife and I really enjoyed our meal. Our waiter was excellent and honest, recommending we share the Mofongo. Great choice. Coming from the NY metro area, I didn't think the prices were extravagant.

Island: Definitely rent a Jeep and explore. The beaches on the South side of the island are beautiful. We had a great day finding secluded private beaches. Blue Beach and playa plata were out favorites. We also did the Bio Bay tour. This is a must. We had previously (5 years ago) gone on a bio bay tour on the main island and the tour in Vieques was much better. The people on the island were great. They are so happy to share their island and seemed genuinely concerned that you have a good time. We are already planning our return trip.

Room Tip: Our building (900 building) was perfect. We were on the second floor with great views of the pool a...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Hello,

Thanks for sharing your experience here on the Trip Advisor community. We're happy to hear you had a great vacation and enjoyed all the retreat had to offer. We would love to welcome you back to Vieques again in the future.

Regards,

#4 of 6 in Isla de Vieques
El Blok Hotel
El Blok Hotel
#1 of 1 in Esperanza

Been to W Retreat & Spa - Vieques Island? Share your experiences!