“Saturday with Abe's was the highlight of my trip!”

Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel with the best guides in the Caribbean as you snorkel beautiful coral reefs, paddle through enchanted mangrove forests, and are amazed by Vieques' Bioluminescent Bay. Offering eight different eco tours, Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours, Inc. Is the most recommended, diversified and family-friendly kayak company on the island. Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours is endorsed by the Puerto Rico Tourism Company, licensed by the DRNA, and insured. One of the longest standing touring companies in Vieques, Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours is committed to the preservation of wildlife and eco systems on the island. The friendly local guides are environmentally aware and excited to share their knowledge with you. They will be next to you at all times to make sure that you have a lot of fun while being safe and comfortable. Looking forward to meeting you soon in the beautiful paradise of Vieques!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Saturday with Abe's was the highlight of my trip!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Jeff was our tour guide and he was great! We met at Belly Buttons at 1pm & he took us to the green store to get some drinks & snacks. Then we went down a long bumpy dirt road (which was fun) to get to the area where you put the kayaks in the water. We headed out into the bay & through the mangrove forest. Very cool! It rained on us as we were kayaking, but who cares, it was fun! Jeff explained everything to us about the bay & the trees. Then we went out into the Caribbean sea! Awesome!!! We kayaked to a private beach, so beautiful, where we got to snorkel, drink & eat fresh coconut, take pictures, watch the sunset, & sit by a campfire, all thanks to Jeff. Then we kayaked back at dark & saw the bay glowing. How cool! It is the best vacation I have ever been on!

1 Thank Twomayegirls

Washington DC
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“For BioBay, go with VAC or Island Adventures instead”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We just went on the BioBay tour with Abe's tonight. In one word -- atrocious. So many problems, that I don't even know where to begin. I should say that we went with our kids (ages 4 + 6) and that wound up being a terrible idea, but even those who had no kids wound up having many complaints about the experience with Abe's. Let me give you some examples:

1) VAC apparently takes 14 people in a group. Our group was 32 people. Yes, 32 people. Less = better.

2) The kayaks that Abe's uses are terrible. VAC has translucent ones, which makes the luminance much more visible. The Abe's kayaks were very very uncomfortable, several people had problems, and one kayak wound up having one of the guides take them back to shore because a passenger injured her back.

3) If you have kids, NO WAY YOU SHOULD USE ABE'S. Kayaking into the bay with only one person paddling is really challenging. If you have young kids, go with Island Adventures and their electric boats. On our trip, my wife and our two kids were in two kayaks and another family of parents + two kids were in two other boats. One of the other two kayaks wound up going back to shore within the first 15 minutes of the outing. The dad found the paddling against the current (it was raining.. somewhat hard) to be undoable and he was going backwards.

4) Which brings me to my next point. We found the guides to be VERY irresponsible with the safety of the guests. In the parking lot, it was clear that rain was coming. I even asked one of the guides if we'd still go out there if it rained. They said that it wasn't going to rain and that things would be fine. Well 3 minutes after we got on the water -- guess what -- it started raining. A lot. Which made paddling just miserable. The water was choppy, the current was somewhat strong. Not good. And the guides seemed to not even concern themselves with the conditions and how it might impact everyone's experience. Five of the sixteen kayaks (including mine) got caught in the current and had some serious problems. The head guide kept going, leaving these five kayaks WAY behind. One of them (the dad I mentioned before) couldn't keep going and had to return to shore. The four others -- we took thirty minutes just to find the rest of the boats. Totally unacceptable. I think the guides were way way too casual with safety on a number of occasions.

5) I can't blame Abe's for this, but the bioluminescence kinda sucked on the night we went. And I suspect Abe's knew that since our friends went two nights before and said the same. There was almost no glowing going on. Or at least it was pretty limited. I'm sure Abe's can't control plankton reproduction, but you know that they're gonna take people out there no matter how poor the conditions are. Not cool.

In conclusion, for the BioBay, go with another vendor. If you have kids, definitely go with the electric boats with Island Adventures. Otherwise go with VAC and their translucent canoes. Just don't go with Abe's.

1 Thank Aristotlenova
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The bio bay is a must see!”
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Everyone will tell you that you must see the bio bay while in Vieques; and the best way to do that is with Abe's. Kayaking through the glowing, sparkling water, I felt bad for people in pontoon boats who couldn't experience the bioluminescence up close like we were. The guide was very informative and funny, and all the employees were friendly and helpful.

NJ
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't miss it”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Well organized tour of the bay. Loved going out by kayak and seeing the glowing bay just inches away. Don't miss this!

Madison, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Bio Bay was incredible--wish group was smaller”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had a fantastic time, the bio bay was incredible--group was a bit too large for my liking.

Would have been even more incredible if we had gone with NO moon.

The bio bay is a must see!