“Fascinating but...”

Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel with the best guides in the Caribbean as you snorkel beautiful coral reefs, paddle through enchanted mangrove forests, and are amazed by Vieques' Bioluminescent Bay. Offering eight different eco tours, Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours, Inc. Is the most recommended, diversified and family-friendly kayak company on the island. Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours is endorsed by the Puerto Rico Tourism Company, licensed by the DRNA, and insured. One of the longest standing touring companies in Vieques, Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours is committed to the preservation of wildlife and eco systems on the island. The friendly local guides are environmentally aware and excited to share their knowledge with you. They will be next to you at all times to make sure that you have a lot of fun while being safe and comfortable. Looking forward to meeting you soon in the beautiful paradise of Vieques!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Communications good. Fun, campy staff, got our group cheering. Bit of a bumpy ride to bay, but they drove, so no problem. Kayaks is good working order. Good mix of fun and education. The Dinoflagellates performed beautifully. Really enjoyed random fish darting under the kayak...leaving glowing tails like an under water meteor. Worth $40 each? Maybe $25.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

We went on the kayak tour of Vieques bio-bay with Abe's in late February, 2013. We took the tour with a group of 11 (grandparents, parents, and kids). David drove us to the bio-bay, and Cruz was our tour guide. We had a great view of the glowing bay and learned a lot about the creatures and the environment within the bay that provides for the glowing water. The one low-point was that my daughter left her camera on the van (we discovered the next day) and was very upset about the loss. We assumed the camera was gone forever, but called Abe's and left a message to see if anyone found it. Consuela in the office called back the next day to report that it was found in the van and they mailed it back to us on the mainland. THANK YOU SO MUCH to Abe's for a great trip and such great customer service!! This is a very trustworthy organization -- highly recommended!!!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Loved the Bio-Bay tour. Abe's are very very co-operative. We were not sure whether we would make it on time due to delayed vieques ferry. But these people co-ordinated with the Lady at the Hotel we stayed (Sea-Gate Hotel). And all because of them we were able to do the amazing kayaking tour of the Bio-Bay. I would like to thank them for the same.
The Bay is undoubtedly amazing and definitely to do atleast once in a lifetime. These people try their best to preserve this Bay. They have good sense of humour. Good co-operative people.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

This review is for Abe's Bio Bay tour, not the Bio Bay itself. I filled out the online registration for an All-in-One Bio Bay Tour on January 6. Adriana from their office called me the next day to confirm the booking and she took my credit card info. She told me that they need at least 4 people for an All-in-One Bio Bay Tour and told me that it won't be a problem finding another couple for one of the four days we spent on the island. She called me a few days later to tell me there's another couple who will join us and we are all set. Great!

Six days before our tour, Adriana called me to tell me that the other couple cancelled and we are on stand-by. I told her if they can't find another couple to join us we'll be happy doing the Bio Bay kayak tour. Then for four days we would get a phone call that we're all set, then a call that we're not and all this week-long back and forth was starting to annoy me terribly while on vacation.

We ended up going to a kayak tour on February 13. All 16 couples met in a parking lot at Sun Bay Beach and were driven on a very crappy road to amazing Bio Bay. Bio Bay is truly amazing and everyone who goes to Vieques should experience it.

Another problem was that there were 16 kayaks too many in our tour. We had to row next to each other and hold onto each others kayaks every time we gathered on the bay to hear about it from our guide. This is an issue when you're stuck next to people who never sat in a kayak not to mention who never rowed before. Also, the 2 hours kayak tour consisted of 30 minutes gathering on the parking lot, 30 minute drive to the bay, 30 minutes spent kayaking in the bay and 30 minutes going back.

The tour is not organized in the best manner and the booking was a headache. There were other tours on the bay with 4-6 kayaks, which is much more enjoyable and manageable in my opinion. I'm sad I didn't go with them.

1  Thank vatai76
Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked the all in 1 bio bay tour for $100 (I think they have upped the price a little now though). This was a steal considering what you get. Tour started around 1:00pm and we got done around 8:00pm or so. Our guides were fantastic. The two Carlitos. We first started with snorkeling for a few hours and then we headed to Mosquito bay and paddled through the mangroves. As the sun was setting, we paddled back through the mangroves (which was amazing) and into the bio bay. You just can't say enough about the bio bay. Just have to experience it. Make sure you pay attention to the lunar cycles though. Don't even bother on a mostly full or completely full moon. We had just a sliver of a moon when we went. We REALLY enjoyed have local guides. Very knowledgeable and it's just nice to have someone who knows Vieques as well as these two did. They got a nice tip from us. Would definitely book through Abe's again.