“Biobay tour was great”

Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel with the best guides in the Caribbean as you snorkel beautiful coral reefs, paddle through enchanted mangrove forests, and are amazed by Vieques' Bioluminescent Bay. Offering eight different eco tours, Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours, Inc. Is the most recommended, diversified and family-friendly kayak company on the island. Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours is endorsed by the Puerto Rico Tourism Company, licensed by the DRNA, and insured. One of the longest standing touring companies in Vieques, Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours is committed to the preservation of wildlife and eco systems on the island. The friendly local guides are environmentally aware and excited to share their knowledge with you. They will be next to you at all times to make sure that you have a lot of fun while being safe and comfortable. Looking forward to meeting you soon in the beautiful paradise of Vieques!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Iowa City, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Biobay tour was great”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

We did the 6:30 biobay tour and it was great! Our guide was there early, and all of that went smoothly. Our only glitch was once we were out on the water and got across the bay, our guides noticed that our kayak was low in the water - somehow we had taken on water. Our guide, Cruz, was very calm in this situation and we ended up swapping him kayaks so that my husband and I were in the other and he was by himself in our kayak with the extra water - and managed to do this in the middle of the bay without anyone falling in! Loved the bay - especially when fish were swimming by and you can see the water light up around them! Was a great experience - had hoped to snorkel with them but waited too long to try to book that tour so my advice would be to book early! Was very knowledgable and a fun trip!

Visited January 2013

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Enjoyed, Guides are good ..but they are not always not time :)”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We did both snorkelling and bio bay tours with Abe.
We enjoyed our tours and have no complains on the overall experince of the tours. But they did start late for both the tours.
for Snokerlling, the guide arrived almost 20 minutes late and we futher waited for another 30 + minutes to get on the van and ride. Overall we started the tour almost an hour late.
Bio-Bay tour as well we had to wait for 10-15 minutes for our ride to come.

Again, the overall experince ( minus the wait) was good.

Stafford Springs
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Abe's was a good choice overall”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We booked with Abe's for the 6:30 tour on my birthday. It was right at the end of a full moon, so the earlier we went, the better off we'd be (knowing this is why I booked the 6:30PM tour). When we got there, they told us we were signed up for the 8:30PM tour. After playing the "it's my birthday" card and then doing a little math, they squeezed us into the 6:30PM tour, which we were extremely grateful for. The guides and reps from Abe's were entertaining and fun to listen to, even when going over the rules. We piled into three vans and my group was lucky enough to ride with "Lolo" in a van that I think was from 1972. He drove it skillfully down the worst road I've ever been down and we made it to the BioBay in one piece.

The kayak tour was good - I had never kayaked before that night and I have to say, if you haven't kayaked before and you're a little nervous about it, this probably isn't the best tour for you. I did ok, but have learned from this experience that kayaking is not my favorite. The luminescence from the bay though was AMAZING to watch. The way the water glowed and sparkled was just incredible and something that everyone should see while on Vieques, in a kayak or not. Carlito was very knowledgable and interesting to listen to. Overall, the tour was great and many thanks to Lolo for getting us all back to the parking lot in one piece. :) That all being said, remember that you are on island time and try not to have too many expectations about being on time or on schedule. If you can let go of those expectations, you'll be sure to enjoy it a lot more.

Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“So fun”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Abe's tour was so fun and educating. Our tour guide really knew his stuff. The driver that picked us up couldn't have been friendlier, and the rest of the team were great. We went on the 6:30pm tour, which they said was the best- we saw a million stars, fish zipping around, and sparkles in the water. They also give you "bug juice" - their own organic mosquito repellent. I have to say, I'm a bit allergic to bites (they swell up and sometimes blister) so I was REALLY nervous about going to a place called "Mosquito Bay", esp since I went to the El Yunque Rain Forest and got a bunch of bites on my legs in spite of using store bought repellent. After dousing myself with Abe's homemade stuff, I didn't get a single bite, even after getting completely soaked from kayaking. They should SELL THE BUG JUICE, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

If you do take the early tour, make sure you have time to eat before, or have a plan for afterwards, almost every restaurant in Esperanza closes at 9:30, which we didn't know (we finished the tour about 8:30-8:45, was driven back to our cars, went home to change out of the soaking wet clothes, so it was about 9 or 9:15 by the time we got back out the door of our hotel (Hacienda Tamarindo) and we didn't even shower or anything.

Visited January 2013
Somerset, New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“It was a full moon and they could have done more to make it worthwhile”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

When we booked the tour we knew it was a full moon and we might not have the clearest view of the glow. There are some other 4-5 companies that run the tour. One of them stops running the tour on full moon nights so that customers dont have a bad experience. Other one charges half price on full moon nights. We went ahead with Abe's based on good reviews. Most of the other companies carry a small canopy under which you can get a much clearer glow even on a full moon night. Abe's did not make any such effort. They were good in providing the information about biobay but we felt that for the price we paid, they should have made some extra effort.