“Overall a great experience”

Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Travel with the best guides in the Caribbean as you snorkel beautiful coral reefs, paddle through enchanted mangrove forests, and are amazed by Vieques' Bioluminescent Bay. Offering eight different eco tours, Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours, Inc. Is the most recommended, diversified and family-friendly kayak company on the island. Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours is endorsed by the Puerto Rico Tourism Company, licensed by the DRNA, and insured. One of the longest standing touring companies in Vieques, Abe's Snorkeling and BioBay Tours is committed to the preservation of wildlife and eco systems on the island. The friendly local guides are environmentally aware and excited to share their knowledge with you. They will be next to you at all times to make sure that you have a lot of fun while being safe and comfortable. Looking forward to meeting you soon in the beautiful paradise of Vieques!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Lancaster, Pa
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Overall a great experience”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

As others have noted there do seem to be a few issues with the planning and organization of this company but we had a great time on our tour. When I booked the tour (the all-in-one for 6 people so it was confirmed immediately because we had enough people for the tour) they told us we needed to send a deposit by check or money order. We did not feel comfortable doing this so I called again and the woman I talked to said we could hold it with just a credit card. I felt much more comfortable not paying anything in advance. They were on time and picked us up at the designated spot. The tour itself was wonderful, we kayaked through the mangroves (our guide was nice enough to fill his kayak with our many bags and extra things we took along), the snorkeling was decent, we had a sandwich on the beach and kayaked back for the biobay. The biobay was a truly amazing experience, everyone must do this while on Vieques. The road to the biobay is very rough, be prepared for a bumpy drive. We enjoyed that we had a group of 7 plus 2 guides in the biobay. When we pulled into the parking lot there was a group of about 30 going on just the biobay tour. I would not have enjoyed that large of a group of people. So to summarize, despite some organization/miscommunication issues we had a very good experience with Abe's tours.

Milwaukee
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Awkward Experience”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I went on Abe's night kayak tour of the Bio Bay. This was the number one thing that I wanted to do in Vieques, and both my husband and I felt as though Abe's were ran on a whim. It was very poorly organized and rather sloppily put together. We met at a parking lot with about 30 other people on a night when the moon was fairly bright. (We knew going in that the bio bay would not be as bright since the moon would be glowing quite a bit. Despite our experience, and the fact that the moon was so bright, it was still worth the trip.) The van ride to the bio bay was, honestly, awful. The van driver's van almost broke down, had way too many people shoved into it, and the van driver would, literally, not stop talking and yelling the whole way, which would have been okay if the ride hadn't been awfully bumpy, hot, and way too crowded. Once we got to the bay, the kayak tour was going fine until the tour guide realized we were missing two kayaks. It took about 10 minutes of yelling across the bay (which is a fairly large bay) to find them, and when the two missing kayaks arrived, they were extremely livid and yelled at the tour guide for a while, saying they were going to call the police and that they had told Abe's that they were novices and didn't know how to kayak. Apparently, there were two Abe's employees at the back of the group, but the employees didn't really know English, and the novice kayak-people didn't speak English very well, and they felt abandoned. Honestly, the tour guide, Carlito (number two) handled their yelling pretty well, all things considered. He apologized, calmed them down, and we continued the tour. Carlito was pretty knowledgeable about the area, and it was a nice tour. It's just that overall, we were really disappointed. To spend $40 a person for a rather quick kayak tour with poor organization was hard to stomach. At the same time, it was worth seeing the largest Bio Bay of the world. Just a note - if you are a novice kayaker, this might not be the best option for you to see the bio bay.

Essen, Germany
“Amazing experience!”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Without knowing about what exactly a Bio Bay is, we booked the all in one day tour at Abe's. After starting with the mangroves and snorkelling, we continued with a picnic on a beautiful beach. After sunset, we canoed back to the bay where we could be part of the spectacular glowing water which was a great experience we could not get enough of...!

And with regard to my previous speaker I do not agree... What is wrong about having some people in the bus playing some music (with only one girlish song...) and making fun? I am convinced that we were the oldest participants and from my point of view that was much more entertaining than everybody just sitting there quiet and looking out of the window... However, we had a tremendous time!

Thank you very much for an unforgettable day!
Sandra

Minneapolis, Minnesota
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Unreliable and expensive”
Reviewed November 22, 2012 via mobile

Before our trip we reserved a bio bay tour and a snorkeling tour. We had phone and email confirmation of both and left a credit card number to reserve them.

We loved the bio bay tour led by Carlito. It went without a hitch.

For our snorkeling tour we waited for 15 min at the arranged spot from the confirmation.

They didn't show, call or email. I called and they told me that the other couple cancelled and they don't do the tour for just two people, but not to worry because my credit card wouldn't be charged. No kidding.

I give the bio bay experience 5 stars and the snorkeling experience zero stars.

Midwest
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“A must do in Vieques”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I booked Abe’s biobay tour as it was offered through my hotel concierge. The biobay on the whole is a fantastic experience, and worth coming to vieques for. Don’t leave the island without seeing the bay. Words can’t really do it justice, but the best way to convey it verbally may be to convey this sentiment: if I didn’t have a concept of modern science, I would definitely believe in magic/miracles/wizardry/fountains of youth/alien invasion etc. etc. as a result of my experience in the bay.

I believe most tours are run in a similar way: You are coated in insect repellant and loaded into a truck for an extremely bumpy and dark ride through the forest. In twenty minutes, you find yourself in the bay, where you are shuffled into kayaks and off into the water to play. I believe the different tours operate differently at this point in terms of what information is provided and what you actually do in the bay. Note that there is no swimming on any of the tours for conservation reasons

Our guide brought us out to the mouth of the bay and explained the science behind the glowing water. He also brought us out to the center, where the water is deeper, and around the edge of the lake, where there are more fish. My group even managed to see a small shark swimming below our kayaks. This unearthed a childlike curiosity in my boyfriend/kayak companion who, much to my dismay, proceeded to follow all potential shark like glows out into the depths of the bay for the duration of our tour…

Anyway, if you go to vieques, do this tour. You will not regret it!