“Affordable and beautiful”
Review of At the Waves

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla de Vieques
At the Waves
Smithtown, New York
“Affordable and beautiful”
Reviewed January 29, 2009

While vacationing on Vieques for the first time, At the Waves exceeded our expections. Ian, the owner, answered my e-mails promptly with info about the accommodations as well as the island. We went during the off season and stayed in the 2 bedroom house closest to the beach. The house was very clean, comfortable and large. The bathroom had amenities(sunscreen, lotion, etc...) from previous visitors for our comfort. The property was exceptionally well maintained, with beautiful coconut palm trees and a gorgeous, clean swimming pool. Even though the beach on the property is not for swimming, you will love walking along the shore and finding shells. Another couple staying there, who were from the main island, were just as impressed as we were. With Ian's expertise, we found the most amazing beaches for snorkeling. Make sure you rent a jeep or else it will be very hard to get around! You should also take a biobay trip, it was quite memorable.

• Liked — the roominess and cleanliness of the house, the beautiful property, the secluded localtion, the friendly and informative owner
  • Disliked — absolutely nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008
2 Thank NYjenny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Houghton, Michigan
Reviewed January 13, 2009

Stayed At the Waves Dec 13th-20th, renting the two units in Villa California for our party of 10, for a family reunion. Had three generations: grandparents, 2 young couples, and four kids, ranging from 8 to 4. The place is beautifully equipped with almost anything you could need: lots of kitchen and beach equipment--above and beyond what you'd expect. The grounds and pool are lovely, and nicely maintained, and we certainly appreciated the laundry facilities too. We were very thankful to be staying at a place with air conditioned bedrooms, and fans in all the rooms. The owner Ian was very helpful ahead of time, recommending car rentals and transportation options from San Juan, and also once we were there, recommending the best beaches for our kids, etc, etc. Although everyone had fun collecting "treasures" from the beach At the Waves, we always swam at beaches on the south side... and there are LOTS of them, with powdery white sand, no waves, and hardly any people. Esperanza was a fun spot to hit a bar for dinner, but none of us wished we were staying there. We did all take Abe's bio-luminescent night-time kayak and swim tour. Highly recommended! Don't go thinking you'll be driving Hertz-quality SUV's, or eating San Francisco food... and you'll realize you've discovered paradise! At the Waves was the perfect place for us, and I'm sure we'd all choose it again!

• Liked — it was so attractive and well equipped
  • Disliked — the beds were somewhat hard
1 Thank TeleGram_II
Port Matilda, PA
Reviewed January 10, 2009

At the Waves is not a hotel but rather two, separate buildings on the north shore of Vieques containing five units. Our family, three generations comprising two grandparents, three adults, and two teenagers, occupied a one-bedroom unit and a three-bedroom unit over Christmas. The accommodations were very good, well-appointed and clean, although a few features were experiencing "technical difficulties" (e.g., the dishwasher resisted repeated attempts at repair and the satellite TV signal was intermittent). The adjacent beach was nice and generally deserted but the waves on this, the Atlantic side of the island make swimming inhospitable in winter. What made this place special was the management. Linda and Bill, who were inn sitting for vacationing owner Ian, were delightful--always cheerful, always helpful. Every request was met with a smile and an immediate, positive response. They really came through after we were robbed on the beach (see separate review under Vieques), loaning us their laptop and even money for food--definitely service above and beyond the call of duty. Of the 30 or so places we have stayed in the Caribbean over the years, I would rank At the Waves near the top. Unfortunately, it is on Vieques.

• Liked — Inn sitters Linda and Bill
  • Disliked — Poor swimming beach
philadelphia
Reviewed December 16, 2008

At the Waves was perfect. We stayed in the ocean front 2 bed room villa and it was wonderful. Very relaxing. We did have some noisy neighbors the first night we were there but that was soon forgotten because the rest of our stay was just perfect. I would go back there in a heart beat. Ian has thought of everything for the perfect getaway. Villas are clean, well equipped and comfortable. Beach towels, beach chairs and a cooler too.

• Liked — comfort, location, amenities
  • Disliked — noisy neighbors first night
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank chillyinphilly
Massachusetts
Reviewed December 15, 2008

We just returned from a wonderful stay at "At the Waves"--It was the perfect place for my family for four(myself, my husband and twin 9-year old daughters). Last year we visited Vieques for the first time and had a great time staying at Hector's by the Sea, but this was even better for the family. The ground floor 2-bedroom unit was clean, well-equipped and comfortable. The grounds are just lovely--the ocean is right there and the pool is great for a dip at the end of a day at the beach. We cooked in a couple of nights and enjoyed having the gas grill and a nice little kitchen.

The sound of the ocean, drinking morning coffee while looking out at the ocean--all was great. If the beaches on Vieques weren't so spectacular, one could just spend a vacation relaxing on this property. Ian is very helpful and friendly-- we hope to be able to return.

• Liked — Beautiful grounds, comfortable accomodations
  • Disliked — nothing!
New York
Reviewed December 10, 2008

What a beautiful ocean front estate! We had a fabulous time, loved our morning walks on the beach and late night dips in the pool. The place is immaculate with comfy beds and linens and everything we needed for our stay (beach towels, beach chairs, cooler, stocked kitchen, etc.)

This is also within walking ditance to town which was great! Internet access was also a huge plus. The grounds are so well kept and the location is gorgeous.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maderh
Annapolis, Maryland
Reviewed November 30, 2008

My husband and I enjoyed our stay here At the Waves. The grounds were breathtakingly beautiful, prettier than the pictures with many nice touches that you notice more the longer you stay. I enjoyed the view of Puerto Rico, Culebra, St. Thomas and St. John from the edge of the grass near the wall. The grass was sumptuous (very thick and soft underfoot). The beach and blue water were very soothing. You can hear the waves from anywhere on the property with the windows open. I could almost still hear the waves even after returning home. The stars were very bright at night. I enjoyed the too short amount of time I got to relax on the hammock by the pool. My husband and I both liked to read in the chairs by the wall near the water. I felt very safe on the property reading by myself or walking the beach out front by myself.

We were delighted to be given use of the three bedroom bottom floor villa. We could not see the ocean well from our unit but I am sure the views of the water are awesome from the second floor. But don't get me wrong, the view of the grounds alone and the sound of the ocean were great. The main bedroom bed was a bit creaky when someone rolled over but I got used to it after 2 nights. It also seemed a bit hard to me but not to my husband (he said not hard just loud). I mentioned this to Ian so maybe it is fixed by now. We enjoyed the free wifi with the ceiling fan and windows open listening to the waves. Having a kitchen was great. He has everything you would need. We even had a few things other people may have left (onion and lime). Ian also had left sunscreen and bug repellent from others. We brought our own shampoo. Ian had a small bottle of baby shampoo in our unit. Ian provided soap. His bath towels and bed linens were very nice. The unit was very clean and smelled nice.

The bathroom was large and beautiful. The shower made me laugh because it would fluctuate between too hot for me and too cold for my husband but it always came back to a just right temperature without adjusting the knob. We had it figured out by the second night.

Ian also had a closet full of games, odd sized water shoes (which we added to--hope thats ok), coolers, chairs, fins and a snorkel mask. We had nice beach towels in our room. We were able to find fins to fit us and we rented a mask and snorkel from Blackbeards. He also had a lot of books and up to date magazines in our villa to read.

The drive to Ian's property takes you through a typical Caribbean neighborhood. We felt very safe and enjoyed seeing the young boys riding their horses. The drive grew on me the longer we stayed.

One of the best parts of our stay to me was Mya, Ian's very sweet dog, always greeting us so nicely. She was a quiet companion while I read by the beach. I trully fell in love with her. She was a very sweet dog that charmed us both.

We really appreciated Ian meeting us at the airport and taking us to our car rental at Maritza's. He patiently waited for us while we filled out the paperwork for the car and lead us back to At the Waves. He also gave us his cell phone number should we need to reach him.

It was a very nice stay and I wouldn't hesitate to come back here again!

• Liked — location on the ocean with no mosquitos for us
  • Disliked — creaky bed
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple