“Back in the water”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Beard Sports

Black Beard Sports
Ranked #5 of 42 Tours in Isla de Vieques
More attraction details
Owner description: We have two convinient locations on Vieques. Black Beard Sports in Isabel II, is just steps away from the ferry landing. Our second location is on W hotel premises. Book biobay, bike, hike, kayak, snorkeling or diving tours from any of our locations. We are. PADI GREEN STAR CENTER and only Eco tour certified on Vieques! A percent of our tours supports our community outreach programs for at risk youth. Check us out of FB or twitter. We do it right!
minneapolis
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Back in the water”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Black beard Sports was great. I just wandered into the shop, after being on the Island for a day, and feeling fit ear wise to dive. Since my diving is mostly fresh water and my first ocean dive was less than perfect due to being under weighted, I was a little nervous. I left my # and by the afternoon Black B. had called back and I was set to dive the next day. I did a refresher with 2-tank shore dive. So worth the price! Even if visibility is not perfect you will see Sea creatures. Turns out there were 3 divers on this trip. Gabrial was doing a certification dive for a couple, and Christine was my very own guide. She did excellent job listening and is a very calming instructor, She knows her stuff! Both Instructors would be good with children...and us more mature folks too. Seen: Big Puffer fish, sea turtle, octopus, manta ray, eel, angle fish, and countless other fish I still need to look up. Used all of their gear, its was easy, and all in good shape. Thanks again Black Beard and Christine.

Visited February 2013

New York, NY
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“If you are doing any activities on the Island, use Black Beard Sports”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

We went on the Bio Bay tour, snorkeling and the paddle boarding with them. They guides are fantastic. I went paddle boarding with Sam today, and it was fantastic. He is an amazing teacher. Myself and my husband are not the most athletic people, but he was able to teach us and we had a great time.
All the guides we met spoke very highly of the company and the work that the company does for the community. They seem to really care about the island. Can't wait to come back!

Visited February 2013
Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“NIce and informative”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

We had a good experience with the Bio Bay tour. The guides and the van driver were helpful, funny with lots of information regarding to this microorganism. We a good time and learned new things.

Visited December 2012
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Disorganized”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

A warning about this company: They are disorganized and then want it to be
your fault when they mess up.

We booked a private scuba tour for my wife and I. Before we arrived on the Island we called twice to reconfirm all the details. We sent a fax of our weight, dive cards...all the standard stuff. When we arrived we went out to the dock to meet the boat. We may have gotten the time wrong...so we called. They said we were not booked for scuba but for a "boat tour"

But, they said they would "make it happen" for us. Well, after a series of 4 times calling them to figure out when they were coming, and times they said they would be there were missed....I cancelled. Enough was enough.

Now, of course, they want to charge us for their disorganization.

What a bunch of jerks.

Visited December 2012
8 Thank Jim S
BlackBeardSp0rts, Owner at Black Beard Sports, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Mr. Jim S:

I can understand your frustration with what you thought was booked on your behalf by your assistant. Our instructions were to provide you and your wife with a boat charter for a half day tour not a a dive tour. As soon as we were informed that your intentions were to dive, the boat had to be refitted to accommodate tanks and other equipment which we did as quickly as possible. We did our very best to accommodate you despite the miscommunication. We pride ourselves in providing our customers with the best possible experience and we have a dedicated staff with years of experience who take much joy in welcoming guests to the island. On behalf of BBS, I am sorry for your inconvenience and we hope you try us again in the future.

Gladys M. Aleman
Owner, Black Beard Sports
Boston
“Black Beard is the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Black Beard is definitely one of the most professional and organized tour companies on the island. We did all sorts of activities with them: I got my scuba certification, we did 4 openwater dives at some beautiful reefs, and we went on biobay and bike tours. Everything we did with Black Beard was fantastic and the staff were all super friendly, attentive, safety-conscious, and fun. I highly recommend.

Visited November 2012