“magical adventure with Bill and Laurie”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rainforest Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Yunque National Forest
Rainforest Inn
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
cambridge, Ma
“magical adventure with Bill and Laurie”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2007

Myself, my husband and our two adult daughters spent 5 days here and had one of those vacations that are importantly wonderful. This was the first time we had traveled instead of celebrating the holidays at home and this was definitely the place to which to go . (It's hard not to use cliches when writing but i'm going to plow ahead and use them anyway). The rooms (and beds) were very comfortable and warmly furnished. The view from our windows was spectacular and each morning we woke up to a different kind of weather. (each day was a kind of weather montage - from hot sun to tropical downpour - never lasting long enough to be anything but exhilarating.) Bill and Laurie are wonderfully welcoming hosts and extremely knowledgeble about both the Island, its culture, and had lots of suggestions about things to do and places to see. (they also seemed to be very astute at suggesting things that very much matched our family's interests-) My suggestion for active people is to do anything Shane has to offer. We went on a walk through the rainforest up to waterfalls that was completely exhilerating and challenging enough so that we (the older generation) could feel very proud of ourselves. We also went on bikes to a beach that was great as well. Since I somehow missed the Breakfast part of the Inn's description, the elegantly served repast came as a complete and wonderful surprise that first morning.The breakfasts Laurie makes are completely out of this world - and more importantly- wildly superior to any breakfast that I have ever made for my family.
So clearly I recommend this place highly - we're looking forward to going back.

• Liked — location and hosts
  • Disliked — clothes got very wet
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank shacai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Hartford, CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2007

Not wishing to rehash what other reviews here have described so well, we heartily second many of the wonderful things others have said about the beauty of the place, the cleanliness and charm of the villa (Laurie has a wonderfully artful sense of decorating style), and the friendliness of the hosts. Yes, Bill can be a little rough around the edges, as one of the other reviewers commented, but you shouldn't let it put you off because he is generally friendly and helpful, albeit a little aggressive in matters of payment (we didn't go on the guided hike so many have touted in reviews here, and in the guest log book, because it seemed overpriced). What we especially liked about our hosts was the effort they made to gauge our interest in their attentiveness. They were very respectful of our privacy (we were on our honeymoon) yet also invited us into their kitchen to hang out with them and share a meal, which we greatly appreciated. Signs of construction did not bother us; this is certainly a venue worth expanding. Instead of complaining, ask them to take you on our tour of the site and tell you about their plans for expansion. This place is a work in progress, and we enjoyed that aspect of it rather than finding it off-putting. The one thing we did not enjoy about our stay has nothing to do with the Rainforest Inn, but with where it is situated in Puerto Rico. The rain forest is beautiful, but getting to the inn or going anywhere from there requires traveling along Route 3, which is spectacularly ugly. The Rainforest Inn is a welcome refuge from it... but then you have to go back out there when you leave!

• Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tfrank4
Raleigh, NC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2006

This place is BEAUTIFUL!! As a research assistant working on my Master thesis in Forestry Conservation, I have worked in Puerto Rico for two summers and seen most of the major tourist attractions the island has to offer. I was lucky enough to have time at the end of my last field season in Puerto Rico to stay at Rainforest Inn with my field assistant, Courtney. We both had an incredible time at the Inn experiencing outdoor adventures and getting to know Bill, Laurie, Shane, and their adorable dogs and cats.

The units they rent out are gorgeous and the whole place is so peaceful. Coquis lull you to sleep every night and you wake up in the morning to the smell of delicious food and coffee being prepared in the kitchen.

The construction they have done since Hurricane George hit is AMAZING! They have pictures on their website of some of the units before and after: [--]. Our unit was beautifully decorated with fresh tropical flowers cut from the property and colorful artwork. All of the kitchen appliances were new and the couches and bed were plush and comfy.

One of the best parts of staying at the inn was the hiking tour I took with Shane. He took me right through the backyard into El Yunque rainforest. The property line is just meters from the edge of the forest on their property. Shane took me through a trail that winds through a forest dominated by beautiful palm trees and leads to a gorgeous waterfall. The water rushes down the surface of boulders that stretch down the mountain side. Fern trees and elephant ear plants are everywhere. What a perfect, peaceful place! Beautiful.

I was also fortunate enough to get to visit the Bioluminescent Bay in Fajardo, Laguna Grande! If you sign up for this trip, you can follow Shane in your car to the kayaking put in where trip leaders will meet you after dark. The less light, the better for you to see the GLOWING water! My friend Courtney and I kayaked through mangroves under the stars while we listened to the coquis chirping. When we got closer to the open lagoon, I started seeing shimmers of light around my paddles. The glow just intensified the closer we came to the lagoon. Once we were there, we could see that any movement in the water caused a beautiful bluish-white glow to surround the moving object. This is the defense mechanism of tiny single-celled organisms that live in the lagoon and not many other places in the world. The Lonely Planet guidebook for PR described it like swimming in a sea of tiny stars. I thought they must have been exaggerating before I experienced it myself, but they weren't. It was just like stars. The guide gave us his spiel and then we jumped in. It was beautiful. There was a 5 inch thick bluish-white glow radiating around Courtney's and my legs and arms as we treaded water. Eventually, we got back in our kayaks and paddled back through the mangroves. This was an experience I'll never forget!!

The rest of my stay at Rainforest Inn was wonderful as well. No TV's with annoying commercials blaring in your ears, no roosters crowing and dogs barking all day like other places I've staying in PR. Just pure peace and beauty. Good conversation about wildlife conservation and the culture of PR with Bill, Laurie, and Shane made my stay even more enjoyable.

If anyone reading this has ever wanted to visit a rainforest or just get away to Puerto Rico, you should definitely consider the Rainforest Inn. Incredible views, awesome people.

• Liked — the views and the staff
  • Disliked — didn't get to stay long enough!
  • Tips/Secrets — try the coffee. mmmmmmmmmmm
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank palmagirl
Groton, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2006

My husband and I stayed in the El Yunque Rainforest Inn last month as kind of a second honey moon. We stayed in the villa. I soaked in the claw foot bath tub and lit candles (which were provided) all over the mantle piece. There were also tropical arrangements in the living room and orchids in the breezeway. In the morning, after Laurie served us eggs Florentine on the table for two right on our front porch, we went on a hike to a private swimming hole above a waterfall. The path was cut by the owner, Bill, through the property and deep into the jungle.

In the evening we not only heard lots of coquis but lizard cuckoos and the call of the Puerto Rico Screech owl. Shane, the guide who lives on the property, took us kayaking in the bioluminescent bay in Fajardo that evening.

We would love to go there every year to repeat our honeymoon.

Some caveats. The rainforestinn is not for you if you want to stay in an air conditioned hotel/resort. It is more for the adventurous. They even do bicycle tours across the peaks of the El Yunque cloud forest.

• Liked — The view from the room, and the sounds of coqui's at night
  • Tips/Secrets — Pick up a case of bottled water to keep in the room
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mary J
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2006

My wife and I stayed at the Rainforest Inn for 4 nights in Oct 2006. One thing I did not like from the start was the late check in time of 4 PM which I thought was an odd time for a check in especially since the check outs are at 10, but that is what it is. Our flight came in at 12 noon to San Juan. We tried to kill some time by going into Old San Juan on a Friday afternoon in a rain storm. Big mistake! We ended up turning around after an hour in traffic to sit another hour in traffic. So two hours wasted in traffic just to kill some time until check in. By the time we got there, we were both tired and looking forward to the "welcome Pina coladas". To our disappointment, when we arrived at around 4, we ran into one of the owners, Laurie, who was heading out for ice since the ice machine broke. OK, things happen right? I tried to take this in stride but by 7PM no one had returned with ice, nor was there ice trays in the chalet to make ice. Not a Huge deal unless you really felt tattered like we did and wanted to sip and enjoy a cold drink and relax. We never did get offered that Pina Colda. ;) Now for the digs. The rainforest inn is in a very nice location with nice views if you look past the eye sores of reconstruction that has been ongoing since 2004 as best as we can tell from the guestbook, The owners are doing the reconstruction themselves and I guess it takes longer that way. We did not stay there all day each day, instead going out to do things, Culebra snorkeling, a hike in the Caribean National Forest up Rt 191 ( easier than a rough hike into the rainforest ). Our stay was short. I enjoyed the location and peace and quiet of this Inn, the gourmet breakfasts served by Laurie were outstanding, the hospitality was good, but the bed was harder than what we have so we did not sleep well most nights. Would I go back? Maybe after the construction is complete even though they did not hammer or saw while we were there.

• Liked — The serenades at night by the Coquis
  • Disliked — The gate and having to lock and unlock it, I nicked both my hands on the lock.
  • Tips/Secrets — This is a good location for forest access as well as beach access and close to the airport. Visit Luquillo beach and Seven Seas beach as well. Ask prices at restaurants if they are not listed. I was charged 45.oo for a rack of lamb at La Parilla. Food was good but not worth 45.00!
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jaz1314
rainforestinn, owners at Rainforest Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2006
Yes! We agree ice can be very important in the tropics. Actually we enjoyed having this couple stay with us and chat every once in awhile. We are stunned that they seemed to be unhappy with Puerto Rico in general. Fortunately for us these kind of negative reviews keeps us on our toes and forces us to change and/or improve our services.

We do have a cement block here or there and maybe a tool like a hammer or drill in the shadows. These guests are right it is taking us awhile to finish the Jungle Suite because we never do any construction work while guests are on the property. I will say we are very careful to hide construction stuff unless it is the project we are working on at that moment because we know we all prefer to see the beautiful tropical flowers growing on the property.

Out Checkout time is 11:00 not 10:00 and we are very flexible at check out if any of our guests want to do a hike or the beach while waiting for a flight later in the day. We also have an extra guest bathroom on the property for showering and changing.

I am a little saddened that we were not made aware of the unfortunate frustration of the bed being too hard for their comfort (we have other beds) we would have gladly switched it for a softer one. We are sure everyone involved might have been happier having this matter taken care of at the time it happened.

We appreciate their fairly honest review (we think) and are happy they enjoyed the breakfasts and the peace and quiet at our Inn. After all we probably can't please every personality 100% all of the time even though we would like to.

us
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2006

my husband and I had stayed here 3 days in august. The views are awesome!!! You look right out your window and see the mountains. My husband was intrigued with the way the concrete was designed here especially because they don't have the resources we have back in the states. (where he worked with concrete) The rooms at the inn are very spacious and very clean. Bill and Laurie were an amazing couple, they were kind and helpful. They have wonderful tips on were to go,what to see, and were to eat. (lolitas and the brass cactus were awesome) Bill also told us to take a scenic drive up and around the west side of the rainforest, this was awesome, you see waterfalls, wildflowers, and great views!!! MAKE SURE YOU BUY A GOOD MAP the roads can be confusing and they also have added some new roads. Bill and Laurie were so personable, they told us about how they met and other stories about their experiences here. One day my husband and I were eating lunch at the golden bagel (in Fajardo) and they had just happened to walk in so we invited them to eat lunch with us, it was such a surprise to run into somebody we knew!! So we got to share some of our other PR advenutres with them (we stayed 10 total). I can't say enough good things about the owners!! but if your looking for a place to stay that is away from it all yet close to all the activites this is the place.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — none
  • Tips/Secrets — get a new map
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
3 Thank j13
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2006

My husband and I , along with our grown children have just returned from absolute bliss in the jungle. After much research on the lodging in the Rainforrest area, we could not have been more pleased with the Raianforrest Inn. We too own a B&B, so I can be very picky when choosing my accomodations. First of all the Inn is located on a private drive amidst beauutiful homes hidden by walls and gates where ginger, fern and palms abound, when you arrive at the gate of our gracious hosts, Bill and Laurie Humphrey. You are greeted by a breathtaking view of the ocean far below and the rain forests' jungle that surrounds the property. The Inn's property actually adjoins the park, which provides the opportunity for unubstructed views, unsurpassed. We stayed in the chalet, a rustic 2 bedroom, full kitchen, nice living room, lovely porch, well furnished with everything you need, nice brick and woodwork was such a welcme change to all the typical concrete you see in Puerto RIco.The hosts provided breakfast which was served in their country kitchen on a beautiful mahogony table that Bill himself had made, we enjoyed fresh tropical fuit, with yogurt and wheatgerm, and then a french toast stuffed with guava jelly and cream cheese, I consider myself a pretty good cook and I was wowedby Laurie. The breakfast conversation wasa delightful. The highlight of our trip was a pivate hike led by Bill in to the jungle, which took us to a spectacular very remote waterfall and swimming hole, where we jumped into the water from the rocks above. We also road mountain bikes through a very remote road in the rainforest with breathaking views on a tour arranged for us by Bill. This was amazing, but I advise you to get in shape this was work, but the ride down beat anything Disney can offer.
The Rainforrest Inn is a work in progress, the work on the property is being done by young volunteers whom Laurie and Bill Host in exchange for their help. These young people were such an asset to their company each a fascinating life story in themselves, during our say a concert violinist was in residence, and we could hear her play.
I can recommend this Inn for the adventurer, who simultaneously enjoys peace and quiet, and can entertain themselves, far from the casino's and San Juan Nightlife we found the peace we were looking for, also of note 2 great restuarants where we dined, Suhi Boat, and Lolita's Mexican, both were great.

• Liked — The Hosts and View
  • Tips/Secrets — There are great grocery stores, pack food to cook so you don't have to go down the mountain every night
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Canovanas
Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
#3 of 4 in Naguabo

Been to Rainforest Inn? Share your experiences!