“Beautiful place to enjoy nature”
Review of Rainforest Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Yunque National Forest
Rainforest Inn
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Swainsboro, Georgia
“Beautiful place to enjoy nature”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The Rainforest Inn was amazing. We really enjoyed being surrounded by nature, especially at night when the forest really awakens. I recommend buying a bottle of wine and planning to enjoy dinner in your room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Colorado
Reviewed June 16, 2012

My wife and I spent three very nice days at Rainforest Inn. Here are the pros and cons:

Pros: It’s about a 15 minute drive to the main entrance of the El Yunque National Park. The grounds are beautiful. The breakfasts were wonderful. Bill has a private hike in the nature reserve that backs up to his property (be warned that it’s very rugged and the “trail” could be a little better marked). It leads to a waterfall. Don’t miss the bar/restaurant at highway entrance for authentic, inexpensive Puerto Rican food.

Cons: The place is a bit isolated and there are no street lights. We didn’t feel comfortable driving at night, so we stayed close to home.

Advice: My ideal Puerto Rico trip would be a couple days in San Juan to see the big city, a few days at Rainforest Inn, and a few days in a beach area like Luqilllo. I wouldn’t rent a rental car from an off airport agency. Although they are very close to the airport, it’s very difficult to locate them on the way back to the airport.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ColoMandM
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

We spent three nights at the lovely Rain Forest Inn / B&B and loved every relaxing moment. The breakfasts are AWESOME. Was a bit skeptical of the vegetarian menu being the meat lovers that we are, but we could not asks for a more flavorful and filling breakfast – I didn’t have to eat lunch because I was still full from breakfast. The peacefulness of the B&B w/ an awesome view and sounds of the rainforest were unforgettable. After a love day of hiking in the forest we relaxed on the porch w/ a few beers & cigars just talking (me & hubby) and enjoying the ambiance. No distractions from TV or loud music. Was able to forget about work for a few days even w/ the blackberry going off. Clean, friendly hosts, great view and activities either right out the back door or a quick drive. Bob has some great recommendations for all fitness levels. If you are up for a challenge & your knees are healthy, ask about El Torro. The hike up their private trail ends at a water fall which was very refreashing and lovely. All so head down to Fajardo (30 minute drive) for the bioluminescent lagoon tour. Eat dinner before you get there as the food cost is pricey.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Rochester, New York
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My two daughters and I stayed at the Rainforest Inn for two nights. There is a three night minimum, but Bill was nice enough to allow us to stay only two nights. Honestly, I wish we had time for three nights, in fact, an entire week! Had I known what an amazing place this was, I would not have previously booked four nights at the resort we stayed at prior to our arrival. I will say that if you are a "Gucci Girl or Guy" who are adverse to nature, mud, and going barefoot...you should probably stay at a resort instead. This is the type of place where you definately go barefoot, run in the mud, do NOT wear makeup, and put your hair up in a ponytail. Absolutely the type of vacation I needed. No powersuits, business meetings, or high-heels! I wish I could have stayed there forever and retired! We chose to stay in the upstairs, two bedroom chalet. Thank God there was a kitchen! We had had enough of the Puerto Rican cusine, including plantains in every dish and pork fat infused in every menu item. This certainly did not have a positive effect on GI tracts so being able to go to the grocery store and cook low fat, heart healthy food was a welcomed relief. We had dinner on our own private porch that was furnished with a table and chairs to enjoy our meals. It was a pure delight!

The grounds are absolutely breathtaking and the Inn is clean and nicely decorated. Seriously, it is immaculate and it is apparent that great thought and pride of ownership is embraced by Laurie and Bill, the innkeepers. The beds are amazingly comfortable with high quality linens. We all slept soundly being rocked to sleep by the incredible sounds of the rainforest. Open windows with gentle breezes all night. The bathroom was very clean and updated. There were even cute little handmade, natural soaps in the bathroom! Nice quality towels. Very clean tiled floors throughout.

Yes, as you have read in other reviews, the breakfasts are worth waking up to. We had two excellent omlettes with fruit smoothies to die for. Toast with almond butter, apples, honey, and almonds on multigrain sour dough bread. I am definately going to try to reproduce this recipe at home but I am not sure if I will be able to. Laurie, was a gracious and kind. She even sat with us at breakfast on our last day and we had great conversation. So much fun. She really made you feel like you were part of her family. We were glad to have that time to spend with her. And if the breakfasts were not enough...Laurie appeared at 9pm with a warm tray of brownies for my daughters and I to enjoy while we were playing cards on the porch! She is a class act for sure!

Bill had great advice about the rainforest and encouraged us to venture out to the hike to the waterfall. He said that we looked like we were all in good shape (Thanks Bill) and that we could make it. Well....I am glad that we had the courage and prompting from Bill to take on this challenge. Yes, we got lost a couple of times trying to find the markers on the trees (need to replace the old faded markers with newer ones), but it only took us about 15 minutes to get back on track. The good news is that we DID FIND THE WATERFALL AND IT WAS A NATURAL WONDER! Breathtaking cannot adequately describe this place. My daughters swam in the swimming hole, jumped off of the rocks and swang off the rope into the water. It is a MAGICAL and spiritual place not to be missed.

One last word...the best for last! Maya, the incredibly intelligent and loving resident dog made us feel at home. We all missed our dog after being away from home for a week so having Maya with us to share our stay was one of our greatest joys. If I could have thought of a way to dog-nap her, believe me, I would have stuffed her in our luggage! She is not only a great guard dog, she is as sweet and gentle as can be. And let us not forget to mention little Bella, the terrier who guards the kitchen! Very sweet. My girls and I loved the dogs. Thanks for sharing them with us.

So...Laurie and Bill, thank you for your hospitality and a memorable experience. We will be back and next time it will be for a week. Until then, give Maya a big hug for us... Laurie, Bethany and Hannah

Room Tip: Choose the upstairs chalet if you want to cook your meals. It was a lifesaver for us!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Weeney28
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed May 24, 2012

For our honeymoon we stayed a couple days at the Rainforrest Inn. Being more 5 star kind of guy, and my wife being more of a roughing it kind of gal, I figured I'd suck it up and do something that she'd love since we were staying at El Conquistador in a couple days. Well I was so happy when we got there. It was not what I had in my mind at all. It was like a 5 star apartment in the middle of a rainforrest. With the windows open we could hear the Coqui frogs and they were amazing to listen to .

Seeing the mountain tops in the morning and the views were absolutely incredible. In addition, we woke up to an incredible breakfast (French toast to die for) and met Bill, his lovely wife, and Maya their awesome dog. Bill sent us in the direction of the waterfall in the morning but within 30 minutes, we were lost. Bill sent Maya to the rescue and she found us within 5 minutes. Bill then graciously volunteered to take us to the Waterfall which was a hike that was awesomely difficult for me. It was however, REALLY worth it.

We got to talking to Bill both mornings that we were there and I have to say that he and his wife made it such a perfect place to start our honeymoon. Thanks to them we'll have two days that we will always cherish for the rest of our lives.

Room Tip: Bill will help you get sorted when you decide which room to take. We took the downstairs couple'...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed May 16, 2012

We had the great pleasure of spending 5 days at the Rain Forest Inn beside El Yunque Rainforest recently. My friend and I were both making first visits to rain forests and did not know what to expect. What good luck to choose the perfect spot to visit the park, to hike, and photograph. The chalet had two bedrooms, a good sized bath, living room, and eat in kitchen, all with ceiling fans. I wondered how the lack of air conditioning would be, but it was perfect......the fans kept us cool and the open windows allowed us to be sung to sleep by the creatures of the forest. Bill had promised the bats ate the mosquitoes. I must confess I doubted him, but he was right. I didn't get a bite. And every morning we lay in bed contemplating the breakfast feast from Lauie's gourmet kitchen. After breakfast Bill would advise us on hikes. We chose ones not as demanding as my friend was used to but perfect for me for photography and for my ability. This was my first trip in two years recovering from tendonitis in my knees at 75, And a special treat, being befriended and protected by Maya, their Belgian Malamois and Bella, the might four pound Yorkie. Staying at Rain Forest Inn was like winning the internet hotel lottery!

Room Tip: The chalet had a porch around three sides, so always a shady place to read a good book. The villa ha...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank weindreams
New York, United States
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Stayed here with an extended family. There was enough room for us all to get together or have privacy. The grounds and view are wonderful. I was a little worried about no air conditioning but the air was hot at the beach and cool in the mountains (mid-April). Temperature in the rooms was perfect with overhead fans.

The frogs were surprisingly noisy but there was no people noise. A great place to get away from it all.

Breakfasts were an amazing way to start the day. Bill and Laurie knew just who to call and where to go to suit our list of activities. We had a great week.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Canovanas
Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
Casa Cubuy Ecolodge
#3 of 4 in Naguabo

Been to Rainforest Inn? Share your experiences!