“Must see!”

El Yunque Rainforest Hiking from San Juan
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Covering 28,000 acres, and receiving more than 200 inches of rain per year, El Yunque National Forest is the only tropical rain forest in the US Forest System. Noted for its biodiversity, the forest is home to more than 400 different plant species. It has more than a dozen maintained trails for hiking, picnic pavilions, stone towers, rivers, waterfalls, and an interpretive visitors' center.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

The rain forest is a must fit first time visitors. It's funny for both children and adults. The walk to the waterfall is worth it just mAke sure you have on the right shoes its a little slippery.

1  Thank Marcy S
There are newer reviews for The El Yunque Rain Forest

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This was a great hike. There are lots of hills, some steep. The plunge at the bottom was cold but I was glad I did it.

1  Thank Susan H
Reviewed February 18, 2013

It is an easy drive from San Juan (although the road gets a bit narrow) into a very nice forrest area with a nice visitors center and some lovely walks to water falls. The flora wasn't quite as diverse as expected with lots of invasive species (I'm a botanist so 99% of people wouldn't notice or care) but still a nice place to visit. I also live minutes away from the most visited national park... so again I'm biased.

1  Thank Greg G
Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Came in on Disney cruise for day. Local guide Albert Aguirre picked up my family (me, DW, DS11, DS 10) & another family of 4 (with special needs child) from port in his van. We had a nice 45 minute ride from port to rain forest. Albert had lots of information about sights seen on the way. One could tell that he is proud of Puerto Rico. There is much to be proud of. First stop was waterfall along road. Albert explained the local flora & made it interesting making hats out of fallen leaves. He also showed us the path to the top of the falls for great photos. Next stop, observation tower for great views, nice gift shop & snail hunting. One could truly see the lushness of the island from this vantage point. After some refreshment in the van, Albert gave my group the choice of 2 waterfalls. My group opted for the isolated falls. Very good choice as we only had about a 10 minute hike & had lots of time for swimming in, under, & behind the falls. Super fun. We then stopped for delicious local fare just outside the national forest. Many more adventures on the island with Albert Aguirre that day. The rain forest is really a great place to spend a few hours. Make the trip with a local guide. Great fun.

1  Thank 19,243
Reviewed February 17, 2013

This was our second visit to El Yunque. On our previous visit last year we experienced a tropical storm and with the heavy downpour were not able to do as much hiking as planned.

El Yunque is a must do if visiting Puerto Rico. I recommend you rent a car rather than go on a tour so that you can be more flexible with your time and hikes. Last year we visited La Mina Falls - it is a beautiful hike down to the falls. This year we visited Juan Diego Falls and were the only people there on a busy Saturday morning, then we hiked to Mt. Britton, it is a bit of a hike up but the views are worth it. We only saw 4 other people while there, was nice to not have crowds. I wish I had more time to explore. I can't wait to go back one day.

1  Thank Sunseeker11