“What great gem, great food, great service and great owners”
Review of El Turpial Boricua

El Turpial Boricua
Ranked #13 of 134 Restaurants in Ponce
Cuisines: Caribbean
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“What great gem, great food, great service and great owners”
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

We were visiting family in Ponce and one of my wife's sisters suggested going to El Turpial. This used to be an open air casual creole place and now its a beautifully decorated and fine restaurant with fantastic decor. The food is Puerto Rican at its best with great innovations. We ordered for appetizers the tapas de pollo which are chicken bites in delicious creamy sauce. We also ordered the Puerto Rican sampler which comes with corn fritters(surulitos), chicke cordon blue bites, turnovers, mozzarella and Other goodies.
We ordered several main courses such as the chicken chicarrones fantastic and tasty the Pastaella with all the meats is sort of a pasta paella with seven cuts of meats in a carbonara sauce amazing dish not to be missesd. Their sirloin was great and plentiful, the Arroz Mamposteao and mofongos were awesome as well as everything we tried. All the food is cooked to order and everything is fresh.
I highly recommend it and we thank Joe the owner for giving us such great service. We will come back for more.

San Jose, CA
“Not to miss!”
Reviewed January 7, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the most memorable restaurants I've visited on the island. Not only is the food great, but the service was exceptional. Since I speak only un poquito espanol, the servers found someone who was able to translate. They didn't need to do this since the menus are bilingual, but they did so to make us feel at home.

Salinas, CA
“Great place for co idea criolla”
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We were taken here by some local relatives. This place is well recommended. Excellent food and service. Everything was very good. They have a pretty good wine list too. I actually found a bottle of good California Pinot noir.

Visited November 2013
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“On my Top 5 Restaurants”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Amazing food, great presentation and the service is over the top. The chocolate brownie (I think it was), super tasteful and yummy. This restaurant is now on my Top 5! If you go from Juana Díaz to Ponce on PR-14, is just right after the bridge at your right.

• Visited October 2013
Puerto Rico
“Ok... but wouldn't visit again”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

It's Ok food for the average... nothing different and there's nothing my mom my grandma or I couldn't make at home. Don't recommend it... There are better options