“Perfect location, room need improvement”

Quality Inn El Tuque
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Puerto Rico
“Perfect location, room need improvement”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

If you want a place to stay overnight near Ponce downtown,at a good price, this is the perfect hotel.The rooms need improvement,the TV are from the 90's,the bathroom are very small.The breakfast included is ok and the pool is clean and good for the children.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank GKA33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 1, 2012

On a week long trip around the island, we opted to spend one night at the Quality Inn outside of Ponce. We were trying to balance our trip with higher end hotels in places where we were staying more nights and cheaper, more basic lodgings when only a one night stay was required. First off, yes, this hotel is in the middle of a race track. That didn't bother us. We never heard any noise or had any race-day complications. The grounds are decent, about what you would expect from basic accommodations. The turtle pool and outdoor areas were quaint.

Our main issue was with the housekeeping staff. We placed a do not disturb sign on the door even though we intended to depart for a drive back to San Juan at about 8-9am. At approximately 6am, there was loud banging on our door. Due to the hour, we thought it must have been some sort of mistake, and we tried to ignore it given we had placed the do not disturb sign. The banging stopped, only to resume again about an hour later. My husband got up to see what the problem was, and spoke with a handy person who was about to start mowing the lawn, explaining that we did not need anything and it was hours until check-out. At this point, we were awake so I headed to the shower as he went to check out breakfast options. During my shower, I could hear constant, repetitive bangs on the door as if someone was using a battering ram to try to gain entrance to the room. Upon my husband's return, we literally grabbed our things and fled. I finished my make-up in the car because we were certain that we would be given no peace for the rest of the time we were there.

Upon checking out, the person at the front desk stated that housekeeping had been trying to get in touch with us because they weren't sure whether we had ever checked in or not. This seemed strange to us since we had placed the sign on the door and we had clearly spoken to staff the day before and the person mowing the lawn earlier that morning. It also seemed strange that someone from the front desk would not have simply called the room with the working phone.

We were practically the only guests at the hotel that night. There were maybe 2 other cars in the lot both when we arrived and when we departed. During our entire stay, walking around the courtyard and the pool, we never saw another guest. Our best guess was that housekeeping wanted into the one room they would have to clean so that they could move on with their day. This made our stay nearly intolerable. The room itself was basic. Fairly clean. No major problems. But we would not go back due to the lack of hospitality of some of the staff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WanderingWren

Travelers are raving about these Ponce hotels

Ontario, California
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I was on a five-day cross-island trip with my oldest daughter, and chose to stay here because I was familiar with the hotel, having stayed here the year before on a similar trip with my younger daughter. (I used Choice Hotel points for this stay, as I had the year before.) I had read negative reviews before the first stay and felt that stay was better than expected, so I gave it a three. However, this time I had reasonable expectations - and was let down. Three items: 1) no hot water; 2) broken shower head: 3) no TV remote in room. When I told the front desk in the evening there was no hot water, they said it was being fixed soon. There was still no hot water for morning showers; I told the front desk, and they said it had been fixed; maybe the temperature I got was as warm as it gets. Since I wasn't in the shower that long, the broken shower head wasn't as big of an issue if I had wanted to take a nice, long shower. Strange, but last year there was no TV remote in the room. Since the front desk was closed when I noticed, one of the night security guards brought me one. Two pluses - guest laundry that worked; good breakfast. The only downside to the breakfast was a dog that hung outside the room, trying to get in when guests went in or out. The front desk didn't hand out cans of Off as they did last year, but that was OK, since there was only one mosquito in the room - and I think I killed it! There was a race going on, but you couldn't tell from inside our room on the garden side of the hotel. While I used points for this stay, next time I will try another hotel in town - and use either points or cash. One nice thing about this hotel is the garden area - which has a turtle pond and setting for photos.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank DandDTravelers
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed August 11, 2011

The hotel is right in the middle of a race track. For some this may be a problem but we completely enjoyed it. We found this place on our trip around the west end of PR. The hotel is a quaint well kept place. Our younger kids loved the turtle ponds and they all enjoyed the pool and hammock pavilion. The breakfast is standard fare. It is a short 5 minute drive into Ponce where there is everything your heart could desire. By the time we arrive here the kids were worn out from visiting San Juan, Aguadillia and Rincon so to just chill out in a secluded place was a welcome change, we actually extended our stay an extra day! Also... there is a go cart track that was loads of fun, a little spendy but still fun. If you're looking for a resort or the hustle and bustle of the city this place is not for you, But if you wanna relax in a somewhat central location on the Carribiean side of the island this place is pretty cool.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank bigrig207
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed August 3, 2011

The hotel was owned by Lajas Racing and was in the middle of its racetrack. Literally. I had to drive under the track to get to the room. The property is also cool because it has a turtle pool with big turtles. There were lizards, etc. And some crazy, loud tropical birds in th emorning. The breakfast was in a cute little cabana style room off of the outdoor pool. The main staff spoke great English. But limited when it came to housekeeping, etc. Which is okay, I was in PR. Just saying. The drive was long and over the mountains from San Juan. You go past Ponce, past the Holiday Inn Casino, and then your exit. And it is YOUR exit. There is literally nothing else at the exit. The race track and hotel. That is it. No gas stations, no restuarants, etc. Nothing. The beds were awesome.

Room Tip: The 300's rooms are newer and bigger. The 200's have high very ceilings.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank gulliver4u
Reviewed December 18, 2010

I thought being a Choice Hotels it will be to their standards. It was nothing but disappointment in every aspect. Bathroom was so small and No hot water at all. I thought of calling front desk ... Phone did not work. Think twice before going there. Choice hotels needs to reinspect rooms so loyal guest would not suffer... It wss hortible experience. Never again.

• Stayed December 2010
2 Thank Travelermarus
Ontario, California
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My adult daughter and I stayed here one night during our six-day tour of Puerto Rico. We were simply looking for a decent place to stay in between places on our tour - and the Quality Inn met that need. I had concerns about staying here based on reviews - about it being in the middle of a race track and the presence of mosquitos. Neither were an issue. When we arrived, we did notice that races were going on; the front desk staff recommended the garden side (opposite the track side), and we did not hear the race noise at all inside the room. At check in we were given a can of "Off" bug spray - which did concern us some. However, we did not encounter a bug inside or outside the room. We did not use the pool, but it looked inviting. The breakfast in the morning was good. The garden areas were a nice bonus; we took pictures there to remember the occasion. FYI, I did use Choice Privileges points instead of paying cash for the room, but I would have paid for it if I had no points.

• Stayed July 2010
2 Thank DandDTravelers
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino
Howard Johnson Hotel Ponce PR
Ponce Plaza Hotel and Casino
Hotel Melia Ponce
Hotel Melia Ponce
#6 of 7 in Ponce
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929
Costa Bahia Hotel, Convention Center & Casino

Been to Quality Inn El Tuque? Share your experiences!