“A Singular Experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 37 things to do in Ponce
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Isla Caja de Muertos is an island located 8 miles off the coast, south of Ponce. It is a small island, just about 1.5 miles long and about a half-mile wide at its widest point. It is a nature reserve, with beautiful beaches, hiking trails, a light house and a cave. Enjoy a day in paradaise! Island Venture takes you to Caja de Muertos island aboard a comfortable ship equipped with refreshments and other amenities that will be available throughout your whole trip and stay.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A Singular Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

The previous review by Abattig covers a lot, so I will primarily add to it. Our visit took place on 12/29, because my daughter found a 1/2 off deal that included meal/drink tickets. We were a group of 5. You should be aware that bathroom facilities once you leave the dock in Ponce are limited, so plan ahead! There are two bathrooms on the boat, and there are composting toilets on the island. There was an EMT person there from Ponce, and others that deal with security and I imagine maintenance. I went looking for a bit of freshwater to clean the salt spray from my sunglasses, and found it in the first aid station.
My son and I took the hike up to the unoccupied lighthouse, as did quite a few others. It was a bit longer than 30 minutes for us. Along the route there is a toilet facility. About 1/2 of the route is gradually sloped and wide enough, on an earthen path. You will see cactus everywhere. The rest of the route is narrower, walking over rocks infilled with earth, and for the steeper portion, just rocks with some loose gravel. Some people we encountered had sandals on, which I would not recommend. Once you reach the top you find your way to the wooden lookout structure, and like Abattig said, it is postcard quality. You also become aware of how far up the climb really was, although the dense vegetation does not allow you to figure out where the route is.
Our coupons allowed us to pre-order either hot dogs or a chicken skewer. You order on the boat, and after 12pm the skewers are brought to the beach, and later the hotdogs.
You can set up on the beach or in any of the covered bohios with picnic tables away from the beach. On the beach you can rent large umbrellas and lounge chairs. Most people brought along their own chairs, coolers and snacks. There is a large collection of very rounded colored stones at the edge of the sand. In the water, some small fish could be seen close to the shore. Note that the beach was awarded a Blue Flag designation.
The Island Venture staff is friendly and helpful, making sure you are ok on the beach and on the boat. Our group that day was close to 100. I was told that the boat can carry as many as 135 persons. Note that if you want to sit in the upper deck, you must leave your belongings on the lower deck.

Visited December 2013
7 Thank THFinPR

San Juan, Puerto Rico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beaches with Easy, Online Ferry Reservation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

I'm a current resident of Puerto Rico & am a sucker for gorgeous beaches. I typically like to take the ferry to Culebra, but the process of waiting in line for 2+ hours with no guarantee of boarding became old after awhile. So I'm happy to announce that Island Venture PR now has an online reservation site where you can purchase tickets by credit card or paypal....too good to be true, right? (http://islandventurepr.com/en)

From San Juan to Ponce, it's a straight shot on the freeway with minimal traffic. It takes roughly about 1 1/2 hours. Once you reach the La Guancha Marina, you can park anywhere free of charge. Along the boardwalk, you will see the ferry & crewman at a small table. He has a list of people who have purchased online tickets. Tell him your name and he will cross your name off the list. I printed out my invoice, but he never asked for it. Also, if you bring anything big such as a cooler, you will be charged an extra $5. So make sure to bring cash.

The ferry ride was approx 45 min & very smooth. It was like heaven once we approached the boat dock...beautiful, turquoise, calm, clear water all around!!! Plenty of gazebos for everyone to have for their own.

If you decide to hike any of the trails, please remember to bring bug spray & plenty of water!!! One trail, roughly about a 30 min hike, leads you all the way to the lighthouse for some postcard like pictures. The view is absolutely stunning. Also, when the trail splits (taking right leads to lighthouse), if you take a left, another beautiful beach awaits you...roughly 10 min hike from the split off.

Overall, you are on the island from 9:30am to 3:30pm. The ferry docks there the entire time and they have refreshments, beer, alcohol, & light food for sale at reasonable rates. There is no fresh water & remember to bring a garbage bag since no garbage can be left on the island. Also, they will play local music which tends to be a little loud. I'd suggest sitting in the lower deck if you don't want it blaring in your ears.

I had one of the best beach experiences all due to a reliable, customer friendly ferry service!!!

Visited November 2013
8 Thank Abattig
Hoffman Estates, Illinois
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Hidden island of P.R.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013

one of the most beautifull beaches in P.R., Historical Light House, all kind of tropical birds, the ride on the boat from Ponce to island is great, you see Dolphins and other sea especies.

1 Thank gigibella13
Orlando, Florida, United States
“The Best Place to Visit in Puerto Rico”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Alejandro...... THE COOLEST, MOST PATIENT TOUR GUIDE I EVER MET, was extremley knowledgeable of our surroundings. The visit to this island was breathtaking as it is..... BLUE WATERS, NO ROUGH CURRENTS, SCENIC, all these are just a few words to describe this BREATHAKING ADVENTURE Alejandro took us on. The lunch provided was PERFECT!! There were enough softdrinks and waters for everyone on the boat, Alejandro was hospitable to my family. IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT, WORTHEVERY DIME, TYPE OF ATTRACTION TO SNORKEL AND MORE....... PLEASE TAKE THIS TRIP!!!!! Trust me when I say.... IT WAS A PERFECT ATTRACTION!!!!! The Highlight to my trip to PR!!!!

Melbourne, Florida, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Boat DayTrip to a beautiful Island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Alejandro was our tour guide...very knowledgeable! There were lots of great sea animals to view with snorkeling. There was a hike that was optional to to the lighthouse. I was with a group of people including my 6 year old nephew that had a blast! Ramon was the captain...El Capitan! He was very attentive to the guests on the boat. I would highly recommend this tour option..gorgeous ocean! The next time I go back to PR this tour is a must!!! Great for teens...family...adults..you name it!

Aqua Adventures!!