“French cuisine with boricua accent”
Review of Chez Mademoiselle Coco - CLOSED

Chez Mademoiselle Coco
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A meal must be an exploration of flavors, a gustatory adventure in good company.A little bit of France next to the Caribbean Sea,where you can enjoy a cooking of various France's regions, inspirited by grandmother's recipes and fusion cooking with local products.OPEN ONLY ON SATURDAY AND SUNDAY FROM 12:00AM TO 6:00PM.
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Fresh, slow, delicious French cuisine (my favorite). Tasty escargots, scallops w/ratatouille and the "boricua" accent: arroz con gandules. To top it all the best coffee ever. A very warm and efficient service. All the elements for a memorable gastronomic experience.

There are newer reviews for Chez Mademoiselle Coco

Reviewed October 11, 2012

It is a little hard to get there and it does not look fancy on the outside, but the food and service (Owner is there and is very attentive) are excellent. Deserts are huge. There is out door seating available with view to Caja de Muerto Island.

1  Thank Guayaba33
Reviewed October 11, 2012

You know the feeling when you're living outside of your birth country (france for us) and you sometimes miss the flavor of those family lunch and dinners, the memories of sharing with your loved ones inside the security of your childhood house .....

Well, the first time I went to "Chez Mademoiselle Coco" I felt like I was spending a sunday afternoon in my grand-mother's house, like we use to do when we were kids....
The smell, the warmth of house, the taste of the food, the conversations and memories shared with the (truly french) owners and cook ....
It suddenly felt like home! And it became home!

So if you're looking for truly delicious food made with the real traditions of our country, and the certainty that you're living a truly french experience in the middle of the Caribbean, that's where I recommend you to go....
And you will find a place where you'll always feel like home!

4  Thank vdbcam
Reviewed October 7, 2012

As a local I like to move around the island looking for secret spots to try new foods. This restaurant is one of those places that is simply impossible to stumble across cause it is on a very unexpected place. The location is a bit hidden, but once you get there the place is very cozy and friendly.

The staff is the crown jewel of this place. The waiters are very friendly, and they quickly understood that I am not the fancy-kind-of-guy so they explained everything gently and in a very casual way. They even literally forced me to try the escargot, which I had never done in my life. They insisted it was so good that they brought me and my partner a free sample to try, and boy they were right.

The rest of the food, well to be honest I found a bit bland, with some weird undertones of flavor that were... different... I will not say unpleasant, but in my mind they reminded me more of indian food than french cuisine. The menu is very limited, with around 8 main courses, and not a single one of them featured steak or meat. Most was seafood, one chicken, one duck, one pork.

I found the prices to be a bit on the expensive side, with a chicken breast being the cheapest option at $19. For the kind of ambience and location the restaurant offers, I think the prices do not match the experience. Again, don't get me wrong. Everything was good, fresh and well cooked... Just an incoherent experience of flavors and location.

For the location, I would had enjoyed a more classic french menu at more affordable prices.

Still, try this place yourself, maybe your palate is more refined than mine and your pockets deeper.

7.5/10

3  Thank Aegis2K
madreyoda, Propriétaire at Chez Mademoiselle Coco, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I’m disappointed that your visit was not what you expected.
Everything is freshly cooked and all is homemade, even our bread. Our cuisine is very different from Indian cuisine.
Your comments about the price of the chicken were very surprising, because you didn’t order it. We think that $19.00, for a plate of chicken, rice, potatoes “au gratin”, with fresh mushrooms and black truffle sauce is quite reasonable. And as for the variety in the menu, if you wanted something else, we can definitely prepare a dish “à la carte” if you so desire and you call us beforehand.
We wish to apologize again if your experience was not what you were expecting.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

First of all, is not easy to find the place. The street is very narrow and you dont expect this rest. to be there. Catherine receive us with a big smile and a great welcome! The view from the terrace is great. The food was excellent. I had the Chillo al horno. Fresh, fish! Catherine and all her asistants treats you like friends. The only complaint is that the beer, Medalla, was not really cold. The dessert was unforgetable. For a group of 18 people everything was served on time. Way better than expected. I highly recommend it, just call before for directions.