“Ponce Needs Some Better Tourist Accomodations!”
Review of Hotel Belgica

Hotel Belgica
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Ponce
Reviewed January 4, 2010

The Belgica... what a trip! We had front room on the street which was clean and the ac was amazingly capable considering the lack of glass windows, instead old wood shutters on a narrow balcony. It was their Christmas celebration on the square (several doors away) and for two nights the noise was deafening (we were told only to get worse on the weekend), and still evident from the discos until 4 am. On the second morning at 5 am, someone dropped a string of M80's in the street which reverberated throughout the square. The previous evenings were accompanied by a huge police presence. This is their government square and back here we'd call it disturbing the peace. The cannon fire was shortly followed (5+ am) by a sound truck going up and down the streets with blaring music. We could not wait to escape town and thankfully, the car had not been blown up.
The hotel... we were fortunate in having a very helpful desk clerk who invited us to use the parking meter fund the next morning and gave us good advice on where to eat (Cafe Thomas about two blocks away). We could not locate the "underground parking" and spent some time moving the car around in the street (remember it was a huge celebration going on!) The clerk that evening could speak no English. An arrival that night would have been more difficult. It's 28 long steps up to the rooms, no elevator, no help. We had lots of baggage. That was back breaking. Continental breakfast was passable and that's all, but for the room price, you can't expect more.
I searched for accomodations from Cabo Rojo to Ponce and could find nothing affordable and consistently good. One place had a review saying "a long drive for breakfast..." no thanks. So, they need better hotels and more tourists. Until then, be prepared for the problem stays. The Belgica is a treat if basic is your style, and quite a street scene across the street... another reason I am reluctant to recommend this place.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 24, 2009

The lady mgr. after 9 days moved me to smaller room for only one day.next day I ask her to put me back in the regular room. her answer was no and she did not make my reservation. and told me to speak to the owner. which I did agreed gave me credit for only one night. The same day I was forced to stay at a smaller room, at one A.M the electricity went out in the room there were no electrician available so I had to leave the hotel. my tel [--]

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2009

Small room, but fine for a night or two, and if you're gonna be out going around most of you stay.. Great service; very friendly.. Great loation. Beautiful structure. Quiet room.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2009

We have stayed all over the island of Puerto Rico and have to say that this is the best place to stay while in Ponce. It was very clean and the hospitality was amazing. This hotel had a very nostalgic feel to it, almost like being in an old Hollywood movie. It is also very accessible to the main plaza in Ponce. Close to all the shops. I would also suggest visiting a store called "Mi Coqui" . They have everything Puerto Rican. My wife and I traveled all over the island, literally, staying in other places and found great comfort in staying at the Hotel Belgica.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2009

We decided to escape our resort hotel at the last minute and head south; Hotel Belgica received good reviews from others and was centrally located in Ponce. Sounded good enough to us for one night. Well what a little gem this place was! First off, the owner could not have been any nicer or more accommodating. She greeted us at the front door and had already reserved a parking spot for us that did not require feeding a meter, as so many spots do in the center of town. She promptly checked us in and provided a walking map with several good dinner recommendations. (We choose wisely and dined at Isabel 46, #46 Isabel St.) The hotel itself has immaculate and had lots of character - by that I mean antiques and old world charm. Our room was spacious; king sized bed, cable TV, a balcony, a/c, fridge and a dinette table. Plus more of that special character! Could not have asked for more. Oh, and the price? It was a steal at $89/night.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2009

I can only describe Hotel Belgica as an unexpected surprise, a B&B feel but with a lot more energy. The room was quite large and comfortable, very clean and with all the amenities. Lively area with great restaurants, shops and sight seeing. The staff was amazing, went above and beyond. Thanks to Joel, Eda, Diana, Daisy and of course Humberto. I wish you all the best and I hope to visit again soon.

Greetings from TEXAS!!!

CSTMOON

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2009

I've visited Puerto Rico/Ponce four times in the past 18 months, and I won't stay anywhere else the next time I go. Ponce itself, first of all, is a natural home base for exploring the southern coast of the island. The Belgica is right in the center of the old town, he Plaza a block away. Rooms are clean and comfortable and a bargain.

I found the staff to be attentive and helpful; most speak English.

If you want the lights, noise and distractions of big city life, go to San Juan. Ponce is on a human scale, great for walking around, with several attractions no more than 15 minutes from the hotel.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jim062SantaFe_Nm
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Ponce Plaza Hotel and Casino
Hotel Colonial
Hotel Colonial
#2 of 4 in Mayaguez
Parador Villas Sotomayor

Been to Hotel Belgica? Share your experiences!