“Nice hotel”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Puerto Rico
“Nice hotel”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This hotel is nice,the service excellent,very clean,the room not so big,but nice and clean. The bed is comfortable. This hotel is not very luxury but it looks very good and clean. If you like to visit Ponce atractions, I can recommend it.

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank PR_09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
San Juan
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I booked this two-day stay as a getaway for my wife, myself and my girls aged 13 and 9. The short drive up from Hwy 2 took us to a nice-looking property on the top of a hill overlooking the Caribbean Sea, about half a mile away, and the view of Ponce bay and the city to the west was impressive. Although we had to park a bit far because of the many casino patrons that day, we were pleasantly welcomed by attentive staff, and check-in was a breeze.

My family asked for a room change to be closer to the pool and we were accommodated without any hassle. Both rooms were spotless clean and smelled clean as well, with comfortable beds and almost all the amenities we expected. No Disney Channel or Nickelodeon, though.

You have to drive to go anywhere, even to eat, in this part of Ponce. The hotel restaurant had a breakfast buffet, and the over easy eggs and English muffin I ordered were nicely done. Prices for room service are not overly marked up vs. dine-in prices, and we ordered in next day. Best thing we did, humongous rations of everything, piping hot and not skimpy at all. Us adults could fill up with the children's platters.

The girls predictably loved the pool, which was good since Ponce's beaches are just so-so, much better beaches are at least an hour plus away, driving towards Guanica/Ensenada/Boqueron/Combate in the southwest. The buoys and lighting gave us a sense of security and we could watch them from our balcony, or indeed from our bed. The view of the tropical trees to the west of the property behind the pool, and the sun setting in the ocean behind that, is a cherished memory.

Since we had a very short stay, this time we used the hotel as our homebase to explore the area attractions. This time we only went to Castillo Serrallés, which added a butterfly garden this time, and the extraordinary Museo de Arte de Ponce. Bring a camera along for the Museum, take in the art and architecture, the gardens, fountains and terraces. Gift shop was fun to see although a bit expensive, but we always brought back home a Flaming June memento. Plaza del Caribe is no Plaza Las Americas, but my daughter found the perfect lavender dress for her junior prom there, so can't knock them I guess.

This hotel is perched midway between the bare-boned economy of some local paradores and the opulent extravagance of some of the franchise-branded resorts in the island. For value and enjoyment, Holiday Inn Ponce hit the sweet spot, and we look forward to stay again sometime soon.

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms on second floor are steps away from the pool. Rooms on the third floor are at lo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Roalmabi
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed April 15, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here, the room was clean and the service was friendly. The pool was cleaned twice a day whether anyone used it or not! If you are working or exploring Ponce this is a great place to sleep at night.

Room Tip: I'm pretty sure all of the rooms above the main floor have a nice view thanks to the location of...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Hi! This hotel is amazing! I arrived at 3pm and my room wasn't already clean, so they give one with direct access to the pool it was the best offer for the kids it was great, the pool had a great ocean view. There are many options for dinner and places to go, like Plaza del Caribe Mall, Art Museum, Ponce Downtown and other places. The room always was clean, the staff was very kind, they have Priority Club member and you can earn points and receive many benefits. The restaurant is great with razonable prices. I loved my vacations with my husband and kids..next year we come again!!!

• Stayed April 2012
Chula Vista, California
Reviewed March 20, 2012

While we found the city to be a "dud"...it was dead after 5:00 p.m., the Holiday Inn Ponce is an okay place to stay. The hotel is located just west of the city on a hill overlooking a lagoon and in the distance, the Caribbean. The rooms are standard holiday inn, nothing more and nothing less. The pool was quite large, though the water was cool. Of course, no one else was at the pool. There is also a jacuzzi like pool that is not a jacuzzi and equally cold. The people at the front desk were friendly, though their directions were outdated as the road they suggested was closed after a couple of miles. The casino seems to be the main attraction and there were tons of locals playing...An okay hotel in a somewhat boring area...unlike most of Puerto Rico which we truly enjoyed...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank gary7272
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, April 19, 2012
Dear Gary7272,

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns. I apologize for any inconvenience you have experienced.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Thank you again for your comments. Your business is valued and we hope your future travel plans will continue to include IHG properties.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Toronto
Reviewed March 6, 2012

It's a small place as casino resorts go. In this case, small isn't necessarily beautiful.

The hotel is located on top of a small hill with a good view of the ocean. The room was typical Holiday Inn: adequate. The same can be said about the food. While I am fine with a room that is adequate, my expectations in the food department are a little higher. However, I did like their black bean soup. I had it twice. The breakfast that came with the free breakfast coupon was very adequate.

Service was good, friendly and unpretentious. Just helpful. At the reception desk, in the bar and in the dining room.

The wireless internet is free. And you get what you don't pay for. Forget about watching a news video clip in total before you fall asleep. Not good.

Apparently, this hotel has not made it into the list of addresses accessible to GPS. We drove here from San Juan. My GPS unit did not recognize it, so I entered just any old address in Ponce, hoping that I would have better luck once I got here. Of course I didn't. So I had a heck of a time finding my way to it out of the labyrinth of streets without signs that is Ponce. I have no idea how anyone finds an address here. We ended up asking a couple of policemen for directions. :)

Room Tip: It seems desks only come in rooms with king size beds. If you want two beds (which I like because th...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, ihgcare at Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino, responded to this review, March 26, 2012
Dear Ergoe,

Thank you for your detailed review of our hotel. I certainly apologize for the inconveniences you experienced trying to find the hotel.

We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments.

We thank you for having chosen our Hotel. We take this opportunity to send you our best wishes.

Brenda J.
IHGCare
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed February 18, 2012

OK, I already knew that this hotel is far from the beaches, but contrary to other reviewers' opinions the hotel didn't make up for it neither in service nor in views from the room. My check-in experience was mediocre at best. I arrived late at night and was not given a password for the wifi. When I called reception, there was no answer. When I went down to the reception I spent about five minutes looking for any staff before I got the password.

The pool looks nice, but is unsuitable to do laps in. It is clean, though.

The room, although in good working order with a comfortable bed and clean, was nothing special. I had booked an executive room and had asked for a room with seaview. But despite being platinum with PC my very standard room had a view - of the driveway. The so-called executive floor in my case was the fourth of five floors and did look rather bleak. So all in all there were no catastrophes, but for the 130 $ plus I paid I would have expected quite a bit more.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank wicketo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Howard Johnson Hotel Ponce PR
Ponce Plaza Hotel and Casino
Hotel Melia Ponce
Hotel Melia Ponce
#6 of 7 in Ponce
Holiday Inn Mayaquez & Tropical Casino
Costa Bahia Hotel, Convention Center & Casino
Hotel Parador Guanica 1929

Been to Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino? Share your experiences!