“Wonderful vacation”

Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel has spectacular views of the Caribbean Ocean, a gorgeous pool area and an okay casino (although my husband said it's the best ever since they were giving away hot dogs). The restaurants were adequate; food was great, but service was slow. Rooms are spacious and clean with breath-taking views of the ocean. We stayed here March 2013 for a long weekend. It was a last minute trip that we are thrilled to have taken. The hotel was a bit out dated and is about an hour and a half drive from San Juan. We were leery of staying so far from the city, but we discovered that Ponce is a quaint mini city in itself. We rented a car with a GPS (luckily because our phones had very spotty cell/data service). One day we visited the town square in Ponce and did some sightseeing, then headed to La Guanacha where we sampled local food & tropical drinks at the kiosks. Another day we drove to Old San Juan to tour Castillo San Felipe del Morro, then we headed to the El Yunque Rainforest. There were so many other places we want to go so we will be back.

2  Thank Crysnelson

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Beautiful grounds and hotel. The rooms are moderns and well appointed. Good food, great pool areas and secluded beach. Did not golf, but it looked wonderful.
Easy access to Ponce, but we were rarely tempted to leave the resort. I could have spent a week there easily.

1  Thank Todd J
Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I found a great last minute deal to this resort and decided to go. We were a little worried that it was in Ponce and not San Juan because we are not stay-at-the-resort type of people. We like to go out and really explore. Ponce is the second largest city in Puerto Rico so we figured we would give it a shot. We were not disappointed. Ponce is a beautiful, charming little city with a great little town square, great local food and friendly locals.

The resort itself was very nice and the rooms were very clean. My wife was ecstatic that the floors were tile and not carpet. Every room there is ocean view with is great. The food there was ok. It was a bit expensive for what you got and we quickly tired of it so we quickly found ourselves venturing out for local food, which there was no shortage of good places. Make sure you check out the public beach in Ponce, kiosks that served great drinks and great local food.

This was our first trip without our son, who is nine, and we had a really good time. However, had we chose to bring him I know he would have had a great time. There were plenty of activities for kids.

All in all it was a great trip and we would definitely go back. As a matter of fact, we are planning to go back and bring our son this time.

Room Tip: Every room is ocean view so it's hard to get a bad room, however the resort spreads out like two...
1  Thank DennisTTS
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This was possibly the greatest hotel I've ever stayed at. Guest service was great. One night when we needed to get over to the golf area, a man walked by with his hands full of something and headed towards a shuttle. We asked him if he could take us. He said yes with a smile and took us to the area. We walked out to go to the Chinese restaurant, and said thank you to him as we walked in. Once we were in the restaurant, a waitress who apparently saw us say goodbye, informed us that the man who took us to the area was the Manager of the WHOLE resort & hotel area. We were very surprised and thankful that someone so important went out of his way to help us. Food was excellent, could use a little more variety, (i.e Italian, steakhouse etc.) The rooms were wonderful, complete with an excellent balcony view, free Wi-Fi, (which I very much enjoyed,) a TV with a surprisingly nice amount of English channels that you would ACTUALLY want to watch, and a safe. To keep your money SAFE!!! (That was horrible, excuse my bad pun.) There were lots of fun things to do, an arcade, a big pool, a HUGE chess set, tennis, mini-golf, and LOTS more. The only problem is that the hotel is very hard to locate, being as the only signs giving you directions are 2 feet away from the hotel........... Overall, a great hotel! Would totally recommend to anyone! 5 stars!!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Skywardsword101
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed here Oct 27-Nov 3 2012 for business. As this was a designated hotel for my company, I did not have a choice. While much better than the other PR hotel I stayed in last year, this one did have a few issues. First of all, for some reason the floor of the room was tile. I don't mean the bathroom, I mean the *entire* room. This was odd, considering the rest of the room appeared to be updated (i.e nice new flatscreen TV, firm mattress, very new looking bed linens, etC). However, as I had an end unit with a balcony and a beautiful view, and I just wanted to relax, I didn't feel like complaining and getting moved.

I would not recommend this hotel for families, as the casino seems to attract a large amount of drunken wanderers. The few times I ventured out at night (I'm not a gambler, and when I got home from the office around 7 or 8, I went straight to the room) I seemed to bump into one or the other. On my arrival night, getting there at midnight, I shared the elevator with a trio of very drunk men, carrying drinks, which I narrowly avoided getting spilled on me as I got out quickly at my stop (and they fell over). There's also a nightclub type event that I noticed one night. Additionally, parking here is very annoying if you are a guest. There should be some isolated parking in the front for hotel staying guests, however as there is not you have to find a spot that the casino people have not filled. Several times I got one of the last spots in the lot, far far away from the entrance, and it was only 9pm or so.

I had the breakfast buffet every morning and found it good. As it is open to the air, you have flies buzzing around, so if that bothers you, get there early and get an indoor seat. Also, you cannot leave your food for a moment and get up to get a refill on your juice or coffee as a bird will fly down and eat your food. I thought this was a funny event the first time, but not the second. Due to the length of my stay, and because this was the second step on a long trip, I used the laundry service. Seeing my clothes packed up in what I would consider a cake box was funny, but it is worth saying that my clothes were the in the best condition I've had in a hotel laundry outside of Disney.

I did not use the golf course, but I did play a round of minigolf for fun one morning as I got up early. It was a bit rough, but this was also during the end of Hurricane Sandy, so I don't fault them for the leaves everywhere. Don't go expecting this to be a world-class minigolf though - it's strictly an extra small perk. There's also an arcade and small gift shop there with reasonable prices. The hotel is very accessible to Ponce, and you can get pretty much anything you need there, so that element is covered. My biggest annoyance with the place was that my internet wifi would go out sporatically. This may have been due to my distance from the center of the resort, but I called their tech support several times, and they were never able to help me. As I was attempting to manage several family emergencies over Skype at the time, these caused me a lot of annoyance and made me drop a full circle from this rating. Weight that element as you will.

Finally, all of my interactions with the staff went very well. As a Spanish speaker I of course had a bit of an edge, however my fellow business traveler doesn't understand a word and had no problems. The concergie was able to find us a specific restaurant my fellow traveler had visited once 3 years ago from just the description of the building. That's certainly the level of a top-notch concergie.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Dave B
Reviewed March 13, 2013

this is a really nice resort the food is good, especially the breakfast buffet, and the staff are very cordial and attentive. The rooms are super clean and overall the property is well worth the money. there are some downside- the beach is not good for swimming, the new minigolf is unplayable and was probably designed and built by someone who never played golf, and I don't know why they charge for self parking, it belittles what otherwise would be considered an upscale resort. Charge for valet-yes, but self park-no. Also PLEASE put a sign on the highway to let you know where to turn.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are worth the money. Great golf on property
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed from Monday through Saturday in March 2013. The resort is older, the room decor is dated, but everything is well maintained. The restrooms in the bar / restaurant areas are newly renovated and very attractive. The hotel pool area is very beautiful, and even looks like the picture. The Costa Caribe golf club is spectacular. Here the pool almost meets the ocean. The view from the terrace is very beautiful.

Our room was in the Executive Tower. There is a view of the ocean from the small balcony. The room, while dated, was large and clean. The bathroom and shower were modern and very nice.

Of note, portions of the golf course were closed for renovation and the rest had been recently "aerated". Not quite sure what this means, my husband does the golfing, but apparently the aeration process leaves an array of little holes all over the course and makes the game less fun. Would have been nice to know about the closures and the aeration schedule prior to booking our trip.

We selected a package that included use of the Executive lounge which serves a continental breakfast and snacks in the evening. This was truly a waste, the breakfast was pitiful and snacks less than appetizing. The hotel has three restaurants, not all of them are open every day. We ate at each. The food was mediocre at best. The service was truly awful. The waitstaff seemed annoyed at our presence, Several times we were left standing about waiting for a table while the staff squabbled among themselves and truly appeared to resent having to deal with customers. But to be fair, it did seem as if they were understaffed.Perhaps their surly attitudes were not directed at us.

And then suddenly it all changed. On Friday morning, a whole new crew showed up for work. We were astounded to be greeted by a smiling host who proceeded (unasked) to tell us all about the resorts facilities and what was good on the menu. Saturday morning (checkout day), we were informed by yet another cheerful waiter that a daily buffet breakfast in the main restaurant had been included in our package. Really? Nice to know. I believe if we had arrived on a Saturday, instead of a Monday, my whole perspective on the stay would have been quite different.

The facility is above average but the quality of both food and service was quite disappointing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
HiltonPonce, Director of Sales at Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear NGreen La:
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Regards,
Jose Caro

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#18 of 47 in San Juan
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort? Share your experiences!