“Nice place to stay...but found ants in my room”

Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was here only one night. Very slow & quiet..

Woke up the next morning to find ants in my room.

I had an ocean front room so I had to walk a very long way to get to my room. But the view was awesome.

Very expensive

Room service was good

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,619)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Had a great 4 night stay. Found the staff very freindly and helpful. The view from the room in the executive tower was great. Room was clean and the beds were very comfortable. Played two rounds of golf. The golf pro Ellie was very helpful and friendly. We would love to go back. The only issue we had is that the beach isn't really a beach, very unkept with litter all over the place. Would not choose this hotel for the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors offer an outstanding view. Ground floor rooms have a lot of walk by traff...
1  Thank IrishGreen63
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Very nice facility with a beach-side open-air feeling to it. Our room in the Executive Tower was very large with a large bathroom complete with walk-in shower. Had a beautiful balcony with table and chairs looking out over the beach and water. Gorgeous free-form swimming pool set amid towering palm trees. Lots & lots of games and activities especially appealing for kids. If you prefer the beach....it's right there as well. Only downside is that the town of Ponce a few miles away has little to attract a traveler. My wife and I toured the sights of the downtown square area in a couple of hours and found nothing to bring us back. West end beaches are within 30 - 60 minutes and can provide a full day of sightseeing. We enjoyed our stay and spent a great deal of it around the pool and beach.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Ponce is on the opposite side of the island from San Juan. My wife and I stayed there on business. I was tired from the drive out of San Juan and we were lost for a couple of hours. We had strayed into some isolated country side and I thought Ponce was going to be a small town with limited everything. We finally arrived around midmight and what a surprise. We walked up the steps to a truly beautiful entrance with a tropical breeze and the music of a live band and people walking around dressed to the nines. Beyond the sound of the dance was another sound, the casing. Dang, this place was more happening than Las Vegas and it was just midnight. We checked in and the room was super. We hightailed back to the casino and had a good time after a long and arduous drive. The next morning we had the expensive but delicious buffet with a koi pond surrounding the dining area. This hotel is situated right on the coast and you can walk to the beach if you don't want to do the pool. Staff is friendly but slow at times. All staff is bilingual. Did I mention the golf course by the sea with its own restaurant and bar. Unlike San Juan there is no walking around and shopping or any historic spanish forts.. You can take a cab to downtown Ponce which is clean and friendly but is not a tourist center. "The Pearl of the South" the people are proud of the city. I suspect the Ponce Hilton offers the main nightlife in Ponce. I enjoyed the Bohu Bar outdoors and met up with a lot of snowbirds from north US and Canada. We sat in our shorts watching the snow storms in the US on
the TV drinking a cold Hine. If you need to stay on the south side of the island the Ponce Hilton is the place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jay B
Reviewed March 7, 2013

LOVED our vacation at this hotel-resort and in the Ponce area. Service started the minute you drove up in your car. Every room is modern with a beautiful ocean view. Amenities include a fridge and coffee maker so you can use the restaurant which offers buffet and/or ala carte or breakfast on your patio. Meals at La Cava were wonderful and the week-day dinner buffet at La Terraza was one of the freshest buffets we have had at a hotel...and just $18pp. Prices were typical island resort prices. The pool and beach areas are beautiful with different water features for all ages. One can use the facilities at the hotel or shuttle to the Costa Caribe which is equally inviting. Equipment available includes water volley ball and slide, mini-golf, ping pong, bikes for all ages, full playground, tennis, ground chess board, shuffle board, etc....truly an activity for everyone. The beach may have seemed rocky but those who ventured into the water found it lovely and we suspect if we had tried we would have found snorkeling areas along the reefs.
Service was always good and the concierge always pleasant and helpful with good restaurant recommendations and directions. Enjoyed La Casita del Chef, the chicken gumbo was super as were their fish dishes and desserts. Pito's had a lovely water view as did Santorinis. Having a car allows one to travel into Ponce to enjoy the local sights, history and restaurants.
Nightlife is quiet but there was entertainment at the bar toward the wk-end (a singer one night and Karaoke another). Unfortunately few people supported it with most activity centered around drinking at the pool bar...it may have been beneficial to move the entertainment down there. The casino offered everything from 1 cent slot machines up but no performing entertainment. A listing of evening hotel activities would have helped either on a TV channel or at the front desk. A concert in the Ponce town square was a lucky find one Sunday night. Local people were always friendly and helpful.
we previously stayed in the Isla Verde area and found this resort much nicer. we went to enjoy the sun and warmth and tour the area and totally enjoyed our stay. We would definitely recommend a stay here and will return to this area.

1  Thank tripperNJ
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The Hilton is a great hotel on this part of the island. The pool is large with areas for the young and the adults. Great beach area which is public but also a gated area for guests only. The public beach does not seem to have many public access point. Never saw a local there. There are three restaurants. The Bahia bar and Grill was expensive but when you're tired of local fare it tastes great. The room was very comfortable. Ate breakfast at the buffet which had made to order eggs, nice fruit, many options. I pleasant change from local cooking. Ponce has a nice art museum. The Centro is less than I've experienced in Mexico.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean, but you will need to be on 2 or3 to see the ocean.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Where to start...well I love Puerto Rico...I love the beaches, drinks, and the weather! There are plenty of great hotels to choose from...I decided to give Hilton Ponce a try this time. As it is not a great hotel it is some kind of decent. Upon check in I had to haul my own luggage all the way from the car to my hotel room. I am not lazy but after 12 hours of traveling..I did not expect to put more work in on my vacation. After dropping luggage off at room I decided to take a tour of hotel. I noticed hotel restaurants are on a certain time schedule meaning they are hardly ever open along with most bars there. Restaurants that were open have americanized food items nothing local with down right horrible prices for barely average tasting foods. Then when you order a drink be prepared to pay with a limb. The staff at the hotel, restaurants, and bars run around like chickens with there heads cut off and are not in a rush to help you in any kind of way. They could have a care less in the world. Just accept that you dont exist if you stay at this hotel. The first time I ate there it took 45 minutes for a waiter to even approach and the hotel had only a few guest staying there at the time. It took an additional 45 minutes to receive my drink and then another 15 for food. Down right horrible. The outside bar plays depressing old music the entire time and the hotel never has any events going on. Except for bingo which you wont be notified of unless your a local so then tons of locals flock to the hotel suck up your vacation beach, parking spots and dont have to pay for parking nor resort fees to use the pool and beach. What a scam and a ripoff. When the locals show up they actually get rides from the parking lot to the resort unlike actual paying guest. This hotel is very boring, dull and over priced with horrible staff. They need to have a complete makeover with local cuisine and music especially and hire new staff. The beach is horrible..needs to be cleaned and police patrol the beach along with locals flocking to it so its not attractive or inviting at all. You cant leave food in your room because these tiny little fast ants will be all over it in seconds. Ill stop rambling on but please people dont stay here..if your looking to be on the sea stay anywhere in cabo rojo..its beautiful! This hotel caters to locals and there kids which are every where..it is not a vacation location! Its a public bath house!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Thomas K
HiltonPonce, Director of Sales at Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear T K:
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us.
I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience.
For the benefit of other Members of the Trip Advisor Community, I will add that we offer the following opening hours for the bars and restaurants at the Hotel: Breakfast: 6:30 am to 11:00 am, Lunch 12:00 to 3:00 pm, and dinner 6:30 to 10:30 pm atr the main restaurant. The pool bar servies drinks and meals from 11:00 am to 11:00 pm, aside from the Fin Dining, and the Sushi and Oriental Restaurant. We also offer In-Room Dining (Room Service), between 6:00 am to midnight.
Also, regarding your mention of the casino activities, and as per local laws, only loyal clients of the Casino can benefit from the Bingo games, with cartons that can not be sold at a monetary value, but just for loyalty membership credits. The local casino clients can play, hotel guests don't. Furthermore, these typical local casino customers are on an average senior citizens, and some with mobility challenges, reason why we offer additional assistance to reach the Lobby premises from the parking lot area.
We also have local area residents that have the option of paying a yearly membership to use the Resort facilities, aside from the fairly vast amount of other residents of Puerto Rico, or Puerto Ricans who reside stateside, that stay at the Hotel during week-ends. Our Resort is open for all paying customers, regardless of their ethnic origin.
We also encourage guests not to leave open food items in the room, especially sugary, given the local weather, our low density construction and the ample gardens and open space surrounding the guestroom accommodations, in order to avoid ants from being attracted inside the rooms.
We have some additional entertainment options during night-time, such as the Saturday Night local Dance show, the music at the bar including karaoke, and occasional events taking place at our Ballrooms, or pool bar. We will note your comments to further develop events and more entertainment at the Resort.
We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive. We do everything we can to ensure all our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Jose Caro

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Holiday Inn Ponce & Tropical Casino
Hotel Melia Ponce
#6 of 7 in Ponce
Margaritaville Vacation Club Wyndham Rio Mar
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino

Been to Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort? Share your experiences!