“glad I only used points...”

Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Ponce
Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's just okay. the rooms aren't as nice as they are shown on the Hilton website, and I'm a very consistent Hilton customer so I was surprised at the level of difference. In fact, many of the pictures of the pool, etc. are from the golf villa area which is kind of a drive to the other end of the property (quite literally not walkable). They were doing construction on the recreational areas of the property which wasn't advertised in advance. They do have some areas that are very pretty, and the views from the rooms are beautiful. There are iguanas all over the grounds which we all found pretty cool. It was fine, but it didn't exactly knock my socks off.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank seasler
HiltonPonce, Director of Sales at Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear seasler:
I appreciate your review of your recent experience at our hotel and I am very sorry you were not impressed with your experience. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed the views from your room and we apologize for the inconvenience of our current construction. Exceptional guest service and accommodations are the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback will help us to better provide these for our current and future guests. Thank you once again for your comments and we hope to have another chance to knock your socks off should you return to the island in the future.

Safe travels,

Jose Caro

Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed again at this property last week. I have stayed here several times over the past 3 years during work trips to Puerto Rico. I usually love this hotel for its relaxing, tropical atmosphere. My room was as nice as it usually is but on the Thursday night I visited, there was the most obnoixious karaoke going on near the front desk and the singers were belting out songs in Spanish throughout the night. They were terrible singers and off key. It was horrible to listen to. I had a new manager with me on this trip and we tried to eat dinner outside at the pool bar but the entire time all we heard were the terrible karaoke singers. The food we ordered was absolutely not edible. Normally when I stay here, I order room service and previously the food has been ok. I ordered grilled salmon with french fries and the fish was not even cooked all the way. The french fries were also undercooked (it is pretty hard to mess up french fries!). All in all it was a terrible meal between the poorly prepared food and the loud karaoke singers. Once in my room, the noise of the karaoke continued and could be heard in my 4th floor room that was quite far away from the lobby where this was taking place. I could hear the dreadful singers even with the A/C running in my room. What is the Hilton Ponce management staff thinking? This is supposed to be a classy property and having things like this going on is downgrading this hotel.

1  Thank hobiecatsailor
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I have stayed here twice on business during the off season in 2012, so my review might be specific to that part of the year. My summer 2012 visits covered 6 days. Overall, I was very pleased with my stays.

The property is off by itself on the coast near the rough-and-tumble port. The place is gated and spacious. Even though a larger medical group was there during my last visit, the place always felt quiet and empty. Unless I went to one of the restaurants or bars, I never saw a crowd.

Nice secluded beach for long walks. Cool islands off-shore to long after. Very nice pool area under the palm trees; even nice for me as I see palm trees at home every day.

Good food overall and surprisingly good room service. Food and drink are pricey as seems to be the case everywhere in PR.

Downtown Ponce is a short drive, but the congestion of the town really vanishes when you get back to the Hilton. This place is all alone on this section of the coast.

The food was pricey but good. I was very satisfied with room service and the lunch buffet.

The guest room ventilation is state-of-the art and is a huge differentiator for people with indoor air quality sensitivity.

I saw folks there that apeared to be running away for some time. I think that this is a great place to run away and disappear for a while. I look forward to doing just that at this hotel.

4  Thank DPB123
Reviewed October 21, 2012

We arrived late on 2012-10-09 and were very tired. My wife was taking a bath when I went to the pool for a swim. 5-10 minutes after I left, the lights went out in the room and bathroom. My wife attempted to turn the light switch on and off with no results in the bathroom. She looked out of the bathroom and it was dark also. She thought she heard shuffling in the room and thought that someone had taken my room key and was in the room. She locked herself in the bathroom, terrified, and waited for help. The only light she had was a very small red light on the GFI outlet. She was naked and her cloths were in the room that she suspected had the intruder. I returned to find my wife in a panic. After I calmed her down, I called the front desk. They explained that the lights all go out when you leave the room and the sensor does not see movement in the room. UNEXCEPTABLE!! To make our stay even worse, the next morning we were awaken by construction on a wall below our room #307. I understand the need to repair and update, but put your guest away from such activities. I will tell anyone who will listen to NEVER stay at this hotel, including trip advisor!!! HILTON, you really should be ashamed!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room away from construction.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scott_from_Sun_Lakes
HiltonPonce, Director of Sales at Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Scott_from_Sun_LakesSean:

I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate experience your wife had during your stay with us. I appreciate your speed in bringing this issue to me and allowing me to follow up with our maintenance team to address the motion sensors in your room, ensuring that future guests do not experience this same problem. Again we apologize for any stress or discomfort this caused you and if I may be of any further assistance, certainly let me know.

Jose

Reviewed October 21, 2012

The rooms have been update since my last visit and they are very nice. Jibarito sandwich at the bar outside was awesome and I especially loved the fresh salad they served with it. Piña coladas are always a yummy alternative when staying here. We used the business center on this trip and I was very pleased. The staff was friendly and helpful. They had coffee and water available for us and were happy to order drinks and food when our meeting ran long.

1  Thank farm2fork
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The room is spacious. The beds were clean. We spend most of the time in the hotel. There is a beach and other activities to keep your day fun. You could play volleyball with other people at the pool or go shoot some pool near the bar or the arcade section. The casino is a great place for people that likes to gamble.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed at this hotel in January during part of our honeymoon. It was a nice place, the rooms were nicely decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. The view was okay. We had a view of the pool. The were many palm trees, which were nice to look at, but our view of the ocean was obstructed. While in Ponce we visited downtown and drove to "Dirty Beach," which one of the staff told us about. We visited local restaurants with seating right on the water. The food at the hotel (we ate at a very trendy restaurant the first night, had buffet another night) was excellent. We found the staff at the pool bar to be very pleasant and friendly.

The only complaint we have is not the fault of the hotel, but of the swim teams that stayed at the time. They were college kids who, in some cases, were not taught manners, or completely forgot them. At times they were loud. They would jump in the pool with sand all over them without washing the sand off first. One girl tried to take over the big pool chair we had for ourselves, with our stuff in it, while we were in the pool so she could be with her friends. First come, first serve! I was told that this is a popular spot for the swim teams because of the price and accommodations. Wish we knew that going in. So beware of this if you go in December/January.

Despite that, we had a nice stay. Also, keep in mind that the gate at the beach closes at 6pm, so no walking on the beach at night. :-(

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpacePastry
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ponce
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Caribe Hilton San Juan
Caribe Hilton San Juan
#18 of 47 in San Juan
Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Puerto Rico Golf & Beach Resort
San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
La Concha Renaissance San Juan Resort

Been to Hilton Ponce Golf & Casino Resort? Share your experiences!