“Best mexican food in the south of the island.”
Review of Maria Bonita

Maria Bonita
Ranked #86 of 138 Restaurants in Ponce
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I always like the food here, that's the main reason why I keep going back. The restaurant has a nice and easy feeling to it. Great service and heart warming soups. The only thing I don't like is that being a Mexican restaurant the guacamole isn't very good... even I can make a better guacamole.

There are newer reviews for Maria Bonita

Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have been there three times with family and friends and have always enjoyed the food. On my last visit the restaurant was celebrating Mexico's independence day. We had a blast! The waiters are very attentive and kind. Everything we order there is alway tasty and the menu has a decent variety of dishes and prices to choose from. From what we have tasted I can say that the burritos are awesome, the super nachos are great and the azteca soup is good as well. Their dessert the buñuelo is also a must, good to share with a group of friends and family!!! Margaritas are pricey for me ($9.00) but good, must try the tamarind one, pretty good. Perhaps not the most authentic Mexican restaurant but the food has great flavor and the service is good. I lived in Arizona for a couple of years so I have tasted lots of authentic Mexican and this is pretty close.

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We were seated in a table near the bar. The air conditioner was not working properly and this area was excessively warm. After a good sweat and numerous complains we were seated in the main room which was a little better but still quite warm. The beer was served warm. Our waiter was poorly trained and ignorant to the entire menu. Every time we had a question about about a menu item he would called a second waiter who would then go into the kitchen to ask the cook. We ordered the appetizer sampler. Only the chicken wings were decent. Almost $20 for a sampler that could barely feed two. The Pozole soup was bland and almost no hominy to be found in it. I asked for mexican hot sauce and they gave me a mini bottle of red tabasco sauce and was told that was authentic imported mexican hot sauce. At that time I realized I was not in a very good restaurant. My “burrito norteno” was salty and disgusting. My niece’s dinner order never came out of the kitchen. No apologies. The “gringas” would have been almost decent if it wasn’t for over spiced rice served with it, which tasted as it had a whole pound of paprika. During our entire dinner it felt that we had to beg for water. $80 for a dinner for three. This was a meal my dogs would not touch. I must say it was a very disappointing experience. We know authentic mexican well and love it. In this restaurant you will find many authentic dishes listed in the menu, however, you will get a very poor interpretation of these. Although the waiters were ignorant and poorly trained, they did try to be nice and polite. There will not be a second visit.

2  Thank aka_NItin
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I celebrated my boyfriend and my best friend birthday at Maria Bonita Restaurant with friends and family. The service was great and the waitress Zummy (originally from Mexico) made everything possible. Thanks Maria Bonita Restaurant!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

We love mexican food. This is a very nice place to eat your favorite mexican dishes. Great to go with the family, relaxed, variety for all tastes... Nice margaritas too...